Facts and Events
||John Edwin Harry
||12 Aug 1863
||Plymouth, Devon, England
||3 Aug 1866
||Plymouth, Devon, EnglandChrist Church
||2 Apr 1871
||Plymouth, Devon, England25 Claremont Street
||3 Apr 1881
||Plymouth, Devon, England3 Claremont Place
||Plymouth, Devon, EnglandPost Office, Junior Town Postman
||Plymouth, Devon, Englandto Jessie Eliza Ellis
||5 Apr 1891
||Plymouth, Devon, England42 King Gardens
||31 Mar 1901
||Plymouth, Devon, England61 King Gardens
||2 Apr 1911
||Plymouth, Devon, England89 Cambridge Street
||Devon, EnglandPlymouth Registration District
John Edwin Harry was born in 1863 in Plymouth, Devon. He was the sixth of eight children of a shipwright named William Richard Harry and his wife Jane Drake, a charwoman.
John grew up in Plymouth, where the family lived in Claremont Street and Claremont Place, to the north-west of the town centre. His father died in 1884 aged 57, when John was about 19 years old.
John appears to have spent some time as a painter's apprentice, but did not ultimately become a painter. In May 1889 he started work for the Post Office, initially as a junior town postman. The following year he married Jessie Eliza Ellis. They were married for sixteen years, but the marriage appears to have been childless. Jessie died in 1906.
Fairly soon after Jessie's death, John had two daughters with a Mary Emma Bond. They presented themselves as though married on the girls' baptisms, although they do not appear to have actually remarried. The 1911 census described John as a widower and Mary Emma as a spinster and the family's housekeeper.
John died in 1935, aged 71.
- ↑ Births index, in General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration. (London: General Register Office), Primary quality.
b. John Edwin HARRY, September Quarter 1863, Plymouth Registration District, Vol. 5b, page 256
- ↑ General Register Office. The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) RG 10 General Register Office: 1871 Census Schedules, Class RG10; Piece 2118; Folio 109; Page 5, 2 Apr 1871, Primary quality.
|Address||25 Claremont Street, Plymouth (St Andrew), Devon|
|Name||Relation to head||Marital status||Sex||Age||Implied birthdate||Occupation||Birthplace|
|William R. Harry||head||married||male||44||1826/7||Shipwright (out of employ)||Saltash, Cornwall|
|Jane Harry||wife||married||female||37||1823/4||Parish of Beer Ferris, Devon|
|Mary A. Harry||daughter||unmarried||female||17||1853/4||Domestic Servt.||Portsmouth, Hampshire|
|Louisa K. Harry||daughter||female||13||1857/8||Domestic Servt.||Dartmouth, Devon|
|William R. Harry||son||male||11||1859/60||Scholar||Plymouth, Devon|
|John E. Harry||son||male||7||1863/4||Scholar||Plymouth, Devon|
|Ellen S. Harry||daughter||female||4||1864/5||Scholar||Plymouth, Devon|
|Elisabeth M. Harry||daughter||female||1||1869/70||Plymouth, Devon|
- ↑ General Register Office. The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) RG 11 General Register Office: 1881 Census Schedules, RG11/2197/24/42, 3 Apr 1881, Primary quality.
Address: 3 Claremont Place, Plymouth, Devon
William R. Harry, head, married, male, 54 [1826/7], Shipwright, b. Saltash, Cornwall
Jane Harry, wife, married, female, 57 [1823/4], b. Beer Ferris, Devon
William R. Harry, son, unmarried, male, 21 [1859/60], Plasterer, b. Plymouth, Devon
John E. Harry, son, male, 17 [1863/4], Painter's App (House), b. Plymouth, Devon
Ellen S. Harry, daughter, female, 14 [1866/7], Sch, b. Plymouth, Devon
- ↑ British Postal Museum and Archive. Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969. (London: Ancestry), Primary quality.
Registered Number of Nomination Paper: 143514
Christian Name: John Edwin
Situation to which Nominated: Junr Town Postman
Number of Appointment Minute: 9114/89
Number of Confirmation Minute: 15237/89
Observations: Min 2378
- ↑ General Register Office. The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) RG 12 General Register Office: 1891 Census Schedules, RG12/1732/101/11, 5 Apr 1891, Primary quality.
Address: 42 King Gardens, Plymouth (St Andrew), Devon
2 rooms occupied
John E. Harry, head, married, male, 27 [1863/4], Letter Carr[ie]r G.P.O., employed, b. Plymouth, Devon
Jessie E. Harry, wife, married, female, 28 [1862/3], b. Plymouth, Devon
- ↑ General Register Office. The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) RG 13 General Register Office: 1901 Census Schedules, RG13/2012/39/69, 31 Mar 1901, Primary quality.
Address: 61 King Gardens, Plymouth, Devon
5 or more rooms occupied
John E. Harry, head, married, male, 37 [1863/4], Postman, b. Plymouth, Devon
Jessie E. Harry, wife, married, female, 38 [1862/3], b. Plymouth, Devon
- ↑ General Register Office. The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) RG 14 General Register Office: 1911 Census Schedules, Devon, Plymouth, SW, District 13, Schedule 195, 2 Apr 1911, Primary quality.
Address: 89 Cambridge Street, Plymouth, Devon
2 rooms occupied
John E. Harry, head, male, 47 [1863/4], widower, 2 children born alive, 2 still living, Town Postman, b. Plymouth, Devon
Lily Harry, daughter, female, 4 [1906/7], b. Plymouth, Devon
Rosie Harry, daughter, female, 2 [1908/9], b. Plymouth, Devon
Mary Emma Bond, housekeeper, female, 34 [1876/7], single, b. Bere Alston, Devon
- ↑ Deaths index, in General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration. (London: General Register Office), Primary quality.
d. John E. HARRY, March Quarter 1935, Plymouth Registration District, Vol. 5b, page 379, aged 71 [1863/4]
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Baptisms register, in Church of England. Parish Registers of Christ Church. (Plymouth: Plymouth and West Devon Record Office), Primary quality.
BAPTISMS solemnized in the District of CHRIST CHURCH, PLYMOUTH, in the County of DEVON, in the year 1866
When Born. 12 August 1863 No.1492
When Baptized. 3 August 1866
Child's Christian Name. John Edwin
Parents' Name. Christian. William Richard & Jane
Parents' Name. Surname. Harry
Abode. 25 Claremont Place
Quality, Trade, or Profession. Ship Wright
By whom the Ceremony was performed. Theophilus Bennett
Baptised same time as siblings William Richard and Sarah Ellen.
- ↑ Plymouth became a city in 1928.