Facts and Events
John Phillip Harless was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Harless, Philip. Will probated March 1823
- Names: wife, Hannah; and children, Samuel, Philip, Daniel, and daughters, number or names not given.
- ["A Brief of Wills and Marriages in Montgomery and Fincastle Counties, Virginia, 1733-1831”, compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 49]
Will of John Phillip Harless
17 January 1815, will of Philip Harless, recorded in Montgomery Co.:
- In the name of God Amen, I Philip Harless of Tom's Creek a water of New River in the County of Montgomery and State of Virginia, being in perfect health and sound mind and memory but Calling to mind the Mortality of my body and that it is appointed for all men once to die do make or ordain this my last will and Testament in manner and form to wit.
- First of all I bequeath my body to the Earth whereof it was made to be intended in decent Christian like burial at the discretion of my Executors herein mentioned and my soul to Almighty God from whence it came trusting and assuredly believing that in and throu the merit of Christ Jesus it will be received into ever lasting bliss and as touching such worldly Estate wherewith it has pleased God to possess me of in this life.
- I will and dispose of the same in the following manner and form Viz. imprimise I give and bequeath to my three sons Samuel, Philip and Daniel the whole of my lands to be divided among them equally to the portion to me in my lifetime made to them and their heirs forever. But if either of them should die without issue lawfully to his body begotten it is then my will and pleasure that such sons part of pars should revert to my estate for me to dispose of according to my pleasure. Yet never the less it is to be remembered that if either of my three sons should die and leave a lawful wife and heirs in this world and his wife marry again the wife of such son shall not be an heir of such portion made by me to my son it is also to be remembered that whereas I have given and devised the whole of my Real Estate to my said three sons Samuel, Philip and Daniel it is to be understood that my three sons in consideration thereof is to pay to each of my daughters, their sisters, one hundred Dollars by equal disbursements and at such convenient times as their means and ability shall justify and calls of necessity and their sister shall want and demand and I devise the same accordingly.
- Item I: give and bequeath to my beloved wife Hannah during the natural life in case she should remain an widow the mansion house wherein we now live together will all the household and kitchen furniture and a decent support to be provided by my said three sons Samuel, Philip and Daniel for her or raise in equal portions out of the land to them respectively devised and it is further my will that in as much as the said mansion house will belong to my son Daniel at this mothers death that the keep the said mansion house in good repair for his mothers use during her natural life and I order the same accordingly.
- Item : It is my will and pleasure that the whole of the residue of my Estate be equally divided among all my children and devise the same accordingly for the execution of my last will and testament. I do here by ordain, constitute and appoint my well beloved son Samuel Harless and my trusty highly respected son in law Jacob Smith my Executors here by also annulling declaring void all former or other wills by me heretofore made allowing, pronouncing and declaring this only to be my last Will and Testament. In Witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand this 30th day of July 1814.
- Signed, pronounced and declared the last will and testament of Philip Harless by him in presents (presence) of Jacob Harless, Samuel Wall, and John Wall.
- At Montgomery June Court 1823, This last will and testament of Philip Harless, dec'd was presented in court and proven by the oath of Jacob Harless, Samuel Wall and John Wall, witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
Information on John Phillip Harless
•Name: John Phillip Harless
•Given Name: John Phillip
•Birth: 30 Nov 1743 in Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
•Death: Bef Jun 1823 in Tom's Creek, Montgomery County, Virginia
•Burial: Harless Cemetery On Tom's Creek, Montgomery County, Virginia
•Change Date: 14 Aug 2006 at 20:43
Here is John Phillip's Last will and testament as recorded. This information was provided by Elke Hall (elkehall@@msn. com).
\par ***** *******
\par Important Note:
\par Our family records show Daniel as the son of Martin Harless and Catherine Lingel.
\par **** *****
\par Johann Philip Harless, son of Johann Philip Herlass and Anna Margareta Breisch from Muehlhofen, Palatinate (Germany) was born on 30 Nov. 1743 in Lancaster Co., PA. He was baptized on 13 May 1744 in the Moravian Churchin Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania and married on 7 Dec. 1767 probably in Augusta Co., Hannah Borscher. She was the daughter of Georg Boscher and his wife Eleanor Charlotta.
\par Philip died ca. 1822 (by June 1823) ( Montgomery Co.W B 3, p. 525.
\par Daniel, their son was born ca. 1777 in Montgomery Co., VA and was married on 12 December 1797 in Montgomery Co. VA to Elizabeth Nash. Their marriage bond was dated 3 December 1797. Daniel died ca. 1829-1835 in Giles Co. Va. Philip inherited 113 a. of land on Tom's Cr. and later purchased an additional 1247 a., for a total of 1360 a. all located in the area of Tom's Cr.
- Father: Johan Philip Harless b: Abt 1716 in Nürnburg, Karlsruhe, Baden, Palatinate, Germany
- Mother: Anna Margaretha Price b: 21 Sep 1713 in Offenbach, Bayern, Germany
- Marriage 1 Jonnah Boscher b: Abt 1749 in Natural Bridge, Augusta County, Virginia
- •Married: 7 Dec 1767 in Augusta County, Virginia
- 1. Elizabeth Harless b: Aft 1768
- 2. John Phillip Harless b: Abt 1770 in Augusta County, Virginia
- 3. Johanna Harless b: Abt 1772 in Augusta County, Virginia
- 4. Mary Harless b: Abt 1774
- 5. Margaret Harless b: Bef 1776 in Virginia
- 6. Samuel Harless b: Abt 1776 in Montgomery County, Virginia
- 7. Daniel Harless b: Aft 1777 in Montgomery County, Virginia
- 8. Sarah Harless b: Aft 1778
- 9. Unknown Harless b: Bef 1780
- 10. Catey Harless b: Bef 1786
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.