John Handley, Jr.
Facts and Events
||John Handley, Jr.
||to Margaret Unknown
John Handley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Handley Jr.'s land (Beverley Manor NW, 300 acres, acquired from Joseph Kennedy on 20 May 1760, who acquired this tract from Alexander Ritchey on 24 February 1760, who acquired it from Andrew McClure, who was the original patentee in 1749) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 339.--20th May, 1760. Joseph ( ) Kennedy to John Handley, Jr., £80, 300 acres in Beverley Manor, above. Delivered: Jno. Handly, 1766. (Note: Joseph Kennedy had acquired this 300-acre tract on 24 February 1760 from Alexander Ritchey).
- Page 295.--25th August, 1785. William Allen to John Handley (Henley). Delivered to William Handley, 9th August, 1793.
- Page 231.--18th February, 1780. Patrick McDavid and Martha to John Handley and Gasper Snider, two-thirds of house and half lot in Staunton where Patrick now dwells.
- Vol. 2 - Insolvents and Delinquents, 1785; A. Mustoe's List: Jno. Handley, Jr., Greenbrier.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 40.--17th August, 1779. John Handly, Sr., and Margaret ( ) to John Handly, Jr., part of the plantation whereon said John now lives in Beverley Manor.
- Page 169.--13th June, 1788. John Handley and Margaret, of Augusta, and Gasper Snider and Margret, of Rockingham, to Anthony Mustoe and William Chambers, conveyed to Samuel Wilson by John Brown. August, 1753, and to grantors here by Patrick McDavid and Martha, his wife, daughter of Samuel Wilson, 18th February, 1780.
Disposition of Land in Greenbrier County, VA:'
- Greenbrier County, VA Deed book 3, page 248. - Know all men by these presents that I John Handley Senr. of the County of Greenbrier and State of Virginia for an in consideration of the love and natural affection which I bear to my daughter, Margaret Clendinen, consort William Clendinen of Mason County and state aforesaid as well as for the further consideration of one dollar .... have given and granted and by these presents do give and grant unto the said Margaret Clendinen ... one Negro girl known by the name of Abbey of the age of eight years ... Signed by John Handley Senr. Witnessed by Jn Mathews, Thomas Creigh, C. Welch, Charles B. Robins
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 321.--Patent to James Burnside, 26th September, 1760. Teste: John Handley, John Handley, Jr., Thomas Scott.
- Page 626.--15th May, 1764. Hugh Martin to Mathew Harper, £80, 200 acres, part of 1415 surveyed for William Henderson and conveyed to John Henderson, and from him to Mathew Harper, Mathew to John Henderson, from Henderson to Hugh Martin, on Christian's Creek; corner Thomas Rutledge's land, crossing Black's Branch. Teste: John Handley and Archibald Handley.
- Page 282.--20th August, 1771. John Buchanan and Martha to Charles Berry, £90, 240 acres in Beverley Manor, said patent line. Teste: John Handly, Robert Buchanan. Robert Gamel. Delivered: Charles Berry, 31st June, 1773.
- Vol. 2 - Insolvents and Delinquents, 1785; A. Mustoe's List: Geo. Myers (Big), Greenbrier; James Peerey, Kentucky; Sam'l Trotter, Kentucky; Wm. Workman, Rockbridge; Jacob Carpenter, Chuckey; Geo. Shields, French Broad; Jno. Neil, removed; Edward Erwin, Jr., Greenbrier; Alex. Malcom, Greenbrier; Joseph Moor, Greenbrier; Benj. Moor, Greenbrier; Benj. Moor, Sr., Greenbrier; Sam'l Moor, Greenbrier; Jas. Malcom, Greenbrier; Jno. Handley, Jr., Greenbrier; Robert McCorkle, removed; Isaac Trotter, Thos. McGregory, John Kerr, Rob. Bailey, David Trout; James Muncey, removed; Sam'l Rennox, Rockbridge, Jno. Thompson, Jr., removed; Sam'l Brown, Greenbrier; Andrew Nelson, Greenbrier; Philip Hansdle, runaway; Robert Rayburn, Holston; Sam'l Lambe, Kentucky; Robert Stephen, removed; Wm. Thompson, Penna.; Wm. Brown (taylor), dead; Jno. Brooks, Jr., Ronehoak; Wm. Hert, removed; Geo. Grear, removed; Wm. Levingston, removed; Jno. Stunkard, Wm. Trotter, Jno. Strain, Geo. Lewis, Jacob Cox, David Trout.
- Page 482.--20th June, 1785. Jacob Grass' estate appraised by John and Wm. Handly, Pat. Buchanan.
- Page 506.--23d November, 1785. William McClintock's estate appraised by John Young, Pallmore, Jno. Handly.
- Vol. 2 - APRIL, 1804 (M and O). - Anthony Mustoe and William Chambers vs. Jacob Peck, Robert McDowell, Margt. Bowyer--Ejectment, 50 acres on Lewis Creek conveyed by Handley & Snider to plaintiffs, 1788. Will of Saml. Wilson, 1760. Deed, McDavid and wife to Jno. Handley and Gasper Snider, 1780. Deed, Beverley to Wm. Bowyer, 1789. Deed, Wm. Long to Wm. Bowyer, 1786.
- At a court held for Greenbrier County, the 31st day of December 1805. This deed of gift from Handley to Margaret Clendinen, consort of William Clendinen was presented in court and proved to the act and deed of the sd John Handley by the oaths of John Mathews, Thomas Creigh & Charles B. Robins and the same is ordered to be recorded. Signed by John Stuart, Clerk [Greenbrier County Records].