Facts and Events
John Greer was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will and Estate Records of John Greer
- VOLUME 3, page 18, by Lyman C. Chalkley.: "15 September 1750 - John Greer's Noncupative Will: Debts to be paid to William Long, William Neil, John Kennedy and Nathaniel Patterson; son, Alexander, to be bound to a trade; one child to be bound to John Mitchell; one child to be bound to S. D. (sic, evidently Samuel Doak); oldest girl to go to some decent woman to learn housewifery." Executors: John Mitchell and Samuel Doak. Teste: James Corwin, John Mitchell, Samuel Doak, Francis Beatey."
- Page 446 - 22 September 1750, John Greer's Vendue: Sold to John Lockhart, John Roseman, Sarah Lynn, John Teat, John Mitchell, Chilpa Kelley, George Buckingham, Thomas Scott, Jane Lynn, Thomas Teat and Francis Beatey. John New."
- Page 26 (AUGUSTA COUNTY RECORD, page 447): "24 August 1752, John Mitchell and Samuel Doage (sic.) gave bond as guardians apointed for Rebecca, Alexander, Martha and Mary Greer, orphan children of John Greer, deceased, with Surety, Francis Beatey."
- Vol. 1 - Page 66 (AUGUSTA COUNTY ORDER BOOK, NO. 4, PAGE 331.): "Samuel Doak and John Mitchell, guardians for the orphan children of John Greer, made final settlement, 22 November 1754."
Records of John Greer in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Muster List of 1742 - Capt. John Willson's Lists: John Wilson, Captain; Sam Calehison, Nathan Lusk, John Shields, John Greer, John Patterson, George Davison. John Hunter, Wm. Hunter, James Hunter, John Rusk, James Clark, Wm. Vance, Rob Croket, John Trumble, Wm. King, Sa. Walace, John Spear, Thomas Peery, Alex. McConnel, Rob. Young, James Young, Jacob Lockard, Patt. Cook, James Lockard, William McCutcheon, James McCutcheon, Rob. McCutcheon, Alex. Crocket, Wm. Camble, Nathl. Davis, James Philip, John Barclay, James Lusk, James Trumble, Benj. Walker, Wm. Leadgerwood, Morris Offral, Rob Davies, John Brown, Wm. McClantok, Wm. Johnson, John Young, Hugh Young, Thos. Kirkpatrick, David Camble, John McCutcheon.
Help fund new features!