John Givens, of Middle River
Facts and Events
John Givens was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 234.--19th March, 1771. John King and Mary ( ) to John Givens, Ł265, 278 acres on Middle River of Shanadore. Hugh Thompson's corner. Delivered: John Givens, November 1775
- Page 220 - - 14th January, 1790. John Givens' will (Sr.) - - To wife, Margaret; to son, Thomas, 150 acres, part of home plantation; to son, James; to daughter, Mary; to daughter, Sarah Lofftis; daughter, Ann Henderson; son, John; son, George; son, Samuel; son, William; daughter, Elizabeth Lamme; daughter, Margaret Agnew. Executors, wife Margaret, son, James. Teste: D. Stephenson, George and James Crawford. Proved, April 20, 1790, by D. Stephenson and Geo. Crawford. James qualifies. Margaret Givens resuses to execute and nominates son James as sole executor.
- Page 286. 1761. Samuel Givens and Martha to Samuel Bell, £90, 159 acres, part of 311 acres patented to said Givens, on southeast side Middle River of Shanando betwixt lands of John and James Givens; cor. said James Givens. Teste: William Lamb, Wm. Walters. Delivered: Samuel Bell, 10th August, 1786.
- Page 290.—19th April, 1761. Samuel Givens and Martha to Samuel Henderson, £110, 151 acres, part of 311 acres on Middle River Shanando; cor. John Givens; cor. Samuel Bell's part of same tract. Teste: George Crawford, John Ritchey, Samuel Bell.
- Page 1 - Philip Harless, 80 acres, Givens Mill run. Adjacent to John Givens. March 17, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
- Page 178 - Samuel Henderson, 117 acres, Middle River. Adjoining James Givens, William Johnson. June 26, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 64].
- ↑ Family Recorded, in Bassett, Minerva Bone, and Patricia Randle Gillespie. Some Webster County, Kentucky families - Baker, Bassett, Givens, Johnson, Payne, Price, Rice and others. (Bethesda, Maryland: M.B. Bassett, c1983 (Baltimore, Maryland : Gateway Press)), 47, Secondary quality.
1. John Givens (1719 County Antrim Ire. -19 Nov 179O Augusta Co.,VA) may have m 1st CI739 Margaret Crawford and m 2nd 1745 Mary Margaret Sitlington (1729- 1799), dau of Robert Sitlington and Mary (Polly) Feamster. Polly was the dau of Thomas and Elizabeth Feamster.
John's will was proved April 1790 Augusta Co.,VA, and named his wife, Margaret, and 10 children.
[cos1776 Note: Likely error. They appear to have been married after her supposed birth. More research needed.]