Facts and Events
John Furnish was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Estate Records of John Furnish
- John Fornish. Inventory. 9 Feb. 1777. Total valuation £80.15.6.
- Charles Walker
- John Kedall
- Thomas White
- 22 May 1777 . Returned. (p. 509)
[Source: Orange County, Virginia Will Book 2 1744-1778, abstracted and compiled by John Frederick Dorman, 1961 p. 110]
Records of John Furnish in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. - 1750 - List of tithables liable to work on road from Sherrendo River to top of Blue Ridge at Swift Run Gap. Petition of Hance Magard (Magot). James Urry, William Burk, Stephen Hansburger, Samuel Thornbill, John Fought, John Furniss, Little Partrick, Charles Cross, George Wanol, Jacob Miller, Henry Lung, Adam Miller, Jacob Coger.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1752. - (247) James Urrey, Steven Hans Burger, John Fought, Wm. Burk, Saml. Thornhill, John Fornice, Little Patrick, Jacob Miller and son, Adam Miller and son, Charles Cross, Henry Lung, Jacob Coger, George Warrell-to be added to Hans Magart's road hands on road from Shanando River to top Blue Ridge.
- Page 434.--12th June, 1753. Power attorney, Beverley to Thomas Lewis and John Madison to convey lands in Calfpasture, 1753. Teste: John O'Neal and John (his mark) Furnish, Peter Scholl, Wm. Lusk, Wm. Burk, Wm. Frazer.
- October. Daniel McClayland, Colonel Byrd's regiment, 1759. William Vawter, sergeant, John Fumes, (Furnace)
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1761. - (68) John Furnis--witness.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 25, 1766. - (245) John Forish impnsoned for debt.
Records in Orange County, VA
- Nov 25 1776 Will of James Powell of the Parish of Sat. Thomas in the County of Orange dated 15 July 1776. (see full text) My wife Mary Powell and my son James Powell and my friend Andrew Shipperd and my friend John Goodall Sener executors. John Powell. Wit: John Kendall, James Duncom, John (X) Firnes.
- 25 Nov 1776 Proved by John Kendall and John Furnes. Executors therin named refused to act. Adminstration is granted Zachary Burnley, Gent., he giving bond in the sum of £600. [Source: Orange County Wills, pp. 502-503]
Information on John Furnish
John FURNIS (FURNISH)b: 18 May 1718, Essex Co., England came to Fork, Baltimore Colony.,MD.in 1735 d: 1776 Orange Co.,VA.; m: Jane GREEN in Baltimore,MD. 10 Feb 1744. Moved to Augusta,VA c: 1756 where John was member of Capt. HOGG's Rangers. Five sons: Samuel F. 1757-1795, Thomas 1760-, James 1760-1851, Jacob 1762-1800, John 2nd d:1780 & two dau: Elizabeth & ?. Samuel m: Sarah ROBERTS, Jacob m: Mary PAGE. All brothers except John 2nd were in Rev. War ( D.A.R. Magazine, Vol 94, p.293 ) Same four brothers to Kentucky c: 1790. Two are in 1790 census for Kentucky. Jacob, Thomas & James settled in KY. Any info. of Virginia families / connections appreciated. TIA
John Furnis Sr. was deceased by 1777. He had been in Hogg's Rangers, in the French and Indian War, in the latter 1750's. He had received bounty land for this participation. We believe his wife was Jane Green, whom he married in 1744/45 in Baltimore Co., MD.
Help fund new features!