Person:John English (12)

Watchers
John English
b.est. 1701-1710 prob. Dublin, Ireland
  • F.  English (add)
m. bef. 1700
  1. Thomas English1700 -
  2. John Englishest 1701-1710 - 1756
  • HJohn Englishest 1701-1710 - 1756
  • WMary UnknownEst 1730-1738 -
m. bef. 1756
Facts and Events
Name John English
Gender Male
Birth? est. 1701-1710 prob. Dublin, Ireland
Marriage bef. 1756 to Mary Unknown
Death? Summer of 1756 Ft. Vause, Shawsville, Augusta County, Virginia[Killed By French/indians At Fort Vause]

John English Killed by French/Indians at Fort Vause

There are several accounts of the killing of John English and several relatives and neighbors in early Augusta County, VA. One such account is listed below:

From "Peyton's History of Augusta County, Virginia", pg. 213:

...following Autumn a French and Indian force took the fort and murdered or made prisoners of all the inmates. Among the killed and captured were John and Mathew Inglis and their families. John Inglis was killed, and Mathew taken prisoner. Mary and William Inglis had six children,—Thomas and George, born before the captivity, Susan, Rhoda, Polly and John afterwards. George died in captivity. The other five married and left large families. Thomas escaped from the Indians after thirteen years’ residence among them.

John English is also listed as being killed in 1756 in the following account: Indian Attacks of 1755-1758 in Augusta County, VA

Administration of John English's Estate

From Chalkley's:

  • Page 73.--19th August, 1761. John Miller, David Miller, George Adams' bond for Mary Miller's administration of John Ingles' estate. (Note: John English apparently died intestate)


Record of John English in Augusta County, VA

The following Chalkley's reference establishes John English as a brother to Thomas English of Augusta County, VA:

Maxwell vs. Pickens, &c.--O. S. 129; N. S. 45--Bill, 1807. Orator is James Maxwell of Tazewell County. In 1772 orator went from Botetourt, where he lived, to present Tazewell County to make a settlement. It was then a wilderness. He was in company with Samuel Walker. Found a tract with some improvements, viz: The foundation of a cabin, some rails split and some trees deadened. That night they fell in with a party of hunters, among them Uriah Stone, who claimed to have made the improvement, and orator purchased it, and the same year moved his family there and lived until 1784. In that time two of his daughters were killed by the Indians. William Ingles set up claim to the land and devised it to his daughter Rhoda, who married Bird Smith. Thomas Peery deposes in Tazewell County in 1809, that in 1772, when deponent went to that country, James Maxwell had made improvements on the lands and had corn growing in May. In 1781 or '82 Indians murdered two of Maxwell's daughters and Maxwell removed his family. James Peery deposes that he went to Tazewell with Major Maxwell. John Peery deposes that John Tollett moved from Georgia to New River. Thomas Witten deposes that he was on the land in 1771. Samuel Walker is about to remove out of the country and William Wynne is aged and infirm in 1807. Mathias Harman deposes, 1809 that when he first came to this country the land in dispute was called Ingles's Crabb orchard and there was an old improvement on it. This was in 1760. Henry Marrs deposes that he first knew Maxwell on the land in 1773 or 1774. About three weeks after murder of Maxwell's daughters, two of Robert Moffitt's sons were taken prisoners by Indians, and about a week after that the family of Capt. Thomas Inglis was taken out of Burk's Garden by Indians and depredations were committed until 1793. Daniel Harman, Sr., deposes 22d June, 1809, that about 49 years ago he was on a hunting expedition and camped on the land in dispute and took shelter in a small cabin built there, said to be Inglis's. Col. Inglis did not himself make the settlement, but it was made by his uncle, John Inglis. Joseph Hix deposes as above, that 44 years ago Col. Wm. Inglis told him that the land was his and he claimed it under his uncle, John Ingles. Lawrence Murry deposes as above, that 33 years ago he was in Wright's Valley at Uriah Stone's cabin. William Cecil deposes as above, that in or about 1771 he, in company with his brother and father, was on the disputed land. Deed dated 24th September, 1805, by John Tollett and Margaret of Tazewell County to Thomas Pickens: 200 acres by survey in 1753 part of Loyal Company's grant. Recorded in Tazewell, 24th September, 1805.
References
  1.   Hamilton, Emory L. Indian Atrocities Along the Clinch, Powell and Holston Rivers of Southwest Virginia, 1773-1794. (Unpublished).