Facts and Events
John Dobbins was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from "Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775", Volume 2:
- G-391: Capt. John Dobkin of Augusta County, 400 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Holeman's Creek, 2 August 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 42].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 337.--23d June. 1753. John Dobikin and Elizabeth to Thomas Moore; from Fairfax, 7th August, 1750, on Haldman's Creek (a pyson field), 400 acres. Teste: Griffith Thomas.
Baptism Records of Rev. John Stoever
- John Dawbin (Shenandoah.)
- Dawbin, Thomas, b. Nov. 8, 1736; bap. June 8, 1737. Teste: James Gill
- Source: "Early Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages in Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Records of Rev. John Casper Stoever from 1730 to 1779", pg. 12].
- [Note: Rev. Stoever apparently had travelled to the top of the Shenandoah Valley from Pennsylvania, where John Dobbins had his son Thomas baptised on the same day as several other nearby early setters of the Shenandoah River area].
- John Dawbin and his wife Elizabeth also witnessed the following baptisms, children of James Gill:
- John Dawbin testis, June 8, 1737, baptism of Thomas Guill, son of James.
- Elizabeth Dawbin, testis, June 8, 1737, baptism of James Guill, son of James.
Records of John Dobbins in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 12, 1746. - (44) William Carroll appd. Constable fr. Smith's Cr. to Cap. Allens and Cap. Dobins's bounds.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1747 - (199) Road ordered from Fork of the New Road, near Jumping Run, or Colletts, to the Co. Ho., and John Dobikin, John Smith, Jacob Dye, Thomas Moore and William Brown lay it off.
- Page 99.--15th February, 1748. Jonathan Cobourn's bond as administrator of James Cobourn, with sureties John Dobikin and Michael Stump.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY AND MARCH, 1748. - Zebbulon Harrison vs. John Dobbiken.--Debt. Writ 24th August, 1747. Account dated 1746.
- Page 169.--9th August, 1749. William Hill's appraisement by Wm. White, John Daubekins, Reuben Allen.
- G-243: Archibald Ruddle of Augusta County, 406 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Holeman's Creek., adj. Capt. John Dobkins, Peter Portner. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Grants, Vol. 2, 1742-1775, pg. 34].
- Page 144.--19th August, 1773. Recorded, viz: 1770--Thomas Rutherford's estate, to Evan Price and Elizabeth, his wife. 9th May--To Reuben Rutherford, William West, Dochther Knave, James Bruster. 9th May-- By vendue to, viz: Rebecca Paretree, John Dobbins, Evan Philips, Francis Dove, Martin Grider.