John Davis, of Jackson River
Facts and Events
||John Davis, of Jackson River
||to Judith Unknown
John Davis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 200 - John Davis, 153 acres, branch of Jackson River. Adjoining William Cunningham. October 10, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 72].
- Page 202 - John Davis, 43 acres, Jackson River. Adjoining William Hutcheson. October 10, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 73].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's
- Page 161.--15th August, 1759. Jno. Davis ( ) and Judith ( ) to Wm Sprowle, £100, 320 acres on Moffet's Creek of James River in Borden's tract; corner Jno. Patterson. Delivered: Wm. Sprowl, 15th May, 1771.
- Page 103.--9th February, 1762. John ( ) Davies and Judith ( ) to George Berry, £135, 198 acres, part of the land formerly belonging to Andrew Pickens; cor. John McPheeters in James Young's line, deceased; cor. to said George Berry's line. Teste: W. Ward, Jno. McPheeters, Joseph Ward Delivered: George Berry, April, 1774.
- Page 359.--20th September, 1763. John ( ) Davis and Judith to William Clark, £65, 65 acres on Jackson's River, formerly conveyed by Thomas Hughart to John, May, 1762. Delivered to William Clark, September, 1765.
- Page 206.--__ March, 1767. John ( ) Davis and Judey ( ) to Samuel McKee, £45, 230 acres on Walker's Run, a branch of Middle River, between William and Robert Stevenson's lands.
- Page 208.--17th March, 1767. John ( ) Davis and Judey ( ) to David Tate, £17, 85 acres on Jackson's River. Delivered: David Tate. June, 1770.
- Page 380.--17th May, 1768. John ( ) Davis and Judith ( ) to James Gregory, £75, 280 acres on West Fork of James River called Back Creek conveyed by John Young to said John Davis, 15th May, 1766. Delivered: Arther Hickens (Kichens), May, 1773.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 21, 1764. - (162) John Davis and Judith, his wife, admrs. of John Scott--produced an account and recorded.
- Page 369.--21st November, 1764. Settlement of John Scott's estate, by Jno. Davis and Judith, his wife. administrators, recorded--Paid Joseph Carpenter, guardian to Joseph, James and Jacob Scott. Cash paid Ellis Hogles, Michael Hider, Aaron Ryley, Jonathan Arnold, Thomas Parsons.