Deacon John Dam
d.27 Jan 1689/90
Facts and Events
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 2 Dea. John Dam, in Noyes, Sybil; Charles Thornton Libby; and Walter Goodwin Davis. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire. (Portland, Maine: Southworth Press, 1928-1939), 181.
2 Dea. John Dam, b. 1610. 2d dea. Dover, gr.j. 1646, Com.t.e.s.c. 1661. … M. Elizabeth Pomfret who came in 1640, liv. 1682. He d. 27 Jan. 1689-90; will 19 May 1687-23 Mar. 1693-4 names 2 sons, 3 daus. Ch: John, by an earlier wife, ± 68 in June 1702. Elizabeth, b. 1 May 1649, m. Thomas Whitehouse. Mary, b. 4 May 1651, m. Joseph Canney(1), 2d 22 Nov. 1701 Wm. Harford. William, b. 14 Oct. 1653. Susannah, b. 14 Dec. 1661. Judith. b. 15 Nov. 1666, m. Thomas Tibbetts.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Cutter, William Richard. Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of Boston and eastern Massachusetts. (New York: Lewis Publishing Co., 1908), 3:1485, Questionable quality.
"The name was originally Dam. The Dams were freeholders in England from the time of Edward VI, and it is claimed that the majority of them became Puritans. It is also asserted that most of them left England during the seventeenth century, some seeking religious liberty in Holland, while others came to America for the same purpose.
(I) John Dame or Dam, who belonged to a Cheshire family of the latter name, came to New England in 1633 with a company of colonists under the guidance of Captain Thomas "Wiggans", and settled in Dover, New Hampshire. He may have been a brother of Nicholas Dam [Noyes, Libby and Davis, GDMNH, p. 181, indicate that Nicholas Dam is a misreading of "Dunn"], whose name, together with those of John Dam and several others, appears in a petition presented to the governor of New Hampshire in 1689, but there is no further mention of Nicholas in the Dover records. John Dame was one of the first to receive a grant of land at the confluence of the Cocheco and Fresh Creek rivers, known as Dam Point, and he was also allotted land on Great Bay and at Bloody Point (now Newington). In 1675 he was chosen a deacon of the First Parish Church in Dover, and his death occurred January 27, 1690. His will was dated May 19, 1687, and proved March 23, 1693. He married Elizabeth Pomfret, daughter of Lieutenant William Pomfret and was the father of six children: John, Elizabeth, Mary, William, Susanna and Judith."
He is not included in the The Great Migration Study Project sketches through 1635, indicating that there is no record of him in New England before at least 1636
- Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 2:3.
"JOHN, Dover 1640, or earlier, by w. Elizabeth had John; Elizabeth b. 1 May 1649; Mary, 4 Sept. 1651; William, 4 Oct. 1653; Susanna, 14 Dec. 1661; and Judith, lB Nov. 1666; was freem. 1672; deac. d. 27 Jan. 1690, in advanced age. Judith m. 6 July 1684, Thomas Tebbets, and d. bef. mid. age."