Facts and Events
John Caperton (Capbritton) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John and Mary (Thompson) Caperton's land (Beverley Manor NE-Middle, 115 acres, apparently acquired from Adam Thompson, the probable father of Mary Thompson, sometime between 1750 (the marriage date of John and Mary) and 1759, when the land was sold to Henry Wilson) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- John Caperton received a patent of 275 acres "between Shanandore and Picked Mountain" on 2 June 1760, as listed in the records of disposition, below.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 149.--15th August, 1759. John Caperton and Mary, yeoman, to Henry Wilson, £25, 115 acres on a branch of Christian's Creek in Beverley Manor; corner James Caldwell. Teste: James Allen. (Note: this land record provides a circumstantial link to Adam Thompson, who had previously acquired this land (shown on the J.R. Hildebrand Map above) from Moses Thompson in 1744. Adam Thompson must have conveyed this 115-acre tract to John Caperton, who (according to tradition) married Adam's daughter Mary 'Polly' Thompson, most likely sometime after John Caperton and Mary Thompson's marriage in 1750. It should be noted that there is no record of this transaction in Chalkley's records, but John and Mary (Thompson) Caperton obviously received title from Adam Thompson to this 115-acre tract prior to the sale to Henry Wilson in 1759).
- Page 2.--18th November, 1760. John Capbritton and Mary to Christian Dedor (signed Caperton), £15, 275 acres between Shanandore and Picked Mountain, patented to John, 2d June, 1760; cor. to survey of Peter Sellars Delivered: Andrew Lewis, 11th July, 1785.
Records of John Caperton in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 447.--6th December, 1753. Sale bill of Nicholas Trout's estate to, viz: Jno. Love, Jno. Hales, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Walles, Valentine Pence, Wm. Logan, Gasper Faught, Jacob Sink, Andw. Faught, Evan Evans, Pat. Kinney, widow Trout, Nicholas Millberry, Thos. Crawford, Geo. Trout, Jno. Craig. Setttlement of above estate by Geo. Trout, administrator, recorded 21st May, 1766--Cash paid for liquor at the vendue, 5 gallons at 3/; cash paid for liquor at a grubbing frolick, 6 quarts at 9 per quart, £0.5.6.; cash paid for 6 quarts liquor at the funeral, £0.4.6.; paid Teter Couts, Bernard Man. Contra--Received from John Capebritton.
Information on John Caperton
- D: I205322
- Name: Mary 'Polly' Thompson
- Given Name: Mary 'Polly'
- Surname: Thompson
- Sex: F
- Birth: Abt 1725 in Ireland
- Death: in Y
- _UID: 327EA1CA89C04C8E805E60C77D3010787805
- Father: Adam Thompson b: Bef 1705
- Mother: Elizabeth
- Marriage 1 John Caperton b: Abt 1725 in Ireland
- Married: Abt 1750 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Hugh Caperton b: Abt 1751 in Christian Creek, Augusta County, Virginia
- Adam Caperton b: 12 Feb 1753 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Sarah Caperton b: Abt 1755 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Mary Caperton b: Abt 1757 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Nancy Caperton b: Abt 1760 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Elizabeth Caperton b: Abt 1763 in Augusta County, Virginia
- William Caperton b: Abt 1766 in Augusta County, Virginia
- James Alexander Caperton b: Abt 1770
Help fund new features!