m. 16 JAN 1734/35
m. 10 JAN 1778
Facts and Events
John Campbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
John Campbell MAY have been married twice. A John Campbell obtained a marriage license in Augusta County, Virginia on September 7, 1764. (Source: Chalkley's Virginia Abstracts, Marriage Licenses).
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
Husband's Name John CAMPBELL (AFN:JVX5-S2) Born: 21 Apr 1741 Place: Augusta Co., Virginia Died: 17 Dec 1825 Place: , Washington Co., VA. Married: 10 Jan 1778 Place: , Botetourt, Virginia Father: David CAMPBELL (AFN:MFZH-1R) Mother: Mary HAMILTON (AFN:MFZH-2X)
Wife's Name Elizabeth MC DONALD (AFN:958P-ZC) Born: 29 May 1753 Place: , Augusta Co., VA. Married: 10 Jan 1778 Place: , Botetourt, Virginia Father: Edward MCDONALD (AFN:3DG5-D4) Mother: Mary (Maria) ROBINSON (AFN:958P-X6)
1. Sex Name M David CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-G3) Born: 7 Aug 1779 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia> Died: 1859 Place:
2. Sex Name F Mary CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-N4) Born: 17 Apr 1783 Place: Abingdon, Washington, Virginia
3. Sex Name M James CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-P9) Born: < 1793 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia>
4. Sex Name F Elizabeth CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-H8) Born: < 1781 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia>
5. Sex Name F Catherine CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-JF) Born: < 1783 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia>
6. Sex Name M John CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-KL) Born: < 1785 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia>
7. Sex Name M Arthur CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-LR) Born: < 1787 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia>
8. Sex Name M Edward CAMPBELL (AFN:MFX9-MX) Born: < 1789 Place: <, Botetourt, Virginia>
42. John5 Campbell (David 'White David'4, John3, John2, [Unknown]1) was born 20 Apr 1741 in Augusta Co.,VA, and died 1825. He married Elizabeth McDonald 01 Oct 1778 in VA, daughter of Edward McDonald and Elizabeth Robinson. She was born 29 May 1753.
Notes for John Campbell:
"In 1765 he explored the western wilderness with the noted Dr. Thomas Walker. He participated in the battles of Point Pleasant, October 10, 1774, and Long Island Flats, July 20, 1776, which were fought against the Indians. His name is attached to a paper in which a number of prominent citizens of Fincastle County, Virginia, "declare they will not submit to tyranny of the English Government and her officers in the Colony of Virginia," dated 1775. He enlisted in 1776, and served throughout the Revolutionary War, a brave and useful patriot. He was at the battle of King's Mountain, also four of his brothers and five cousins of the Campbell name were in this battle."
Historical Sketches of the Campbell, Pilcher, and Kindred Families
125 i. David (Gov.)6 Campbell, born 07 Aug 1779 in Royal Oak, Washington Co., VA; died 1859 in Montcalm, Abingdon, Washington, VA. He married Maria Hamilton Campbell 15 May 1800 in Knox Co., KY; born 22 Feb 1783 in Campbell's Sta., TN; died 1859 in Montcalm, Abingdon, Washington Co., VA.
Notes for David (Gov.) Campbell:
Governor of VA, TN, and a legislator in the independent colony. Gov. of VA 1837-1840.
126 ii. Col. John C. Campbell, born Abt. 1789 in Washington Co., VA; died Abt. 1861.
Notes for Col. John C. Campbell:
Secretary of the Treasury during the administration of President Martin Van Buren, in 1837.
127 iii. Edward McDonald Campbell, born 1781; died 1833. He married Rhoda Trigg 25 Feb 1812 in Montgomery Co., VA; born 26 Sep 1797 in Christianburg, Montgomery, VA; died 23 Nov 1864 in Halls Bottom, Washington, VA.
128 iv. Arthur C. Campbell, born Abt. 1791 in Washington Co., VA; died Abt. 1868.
129 v. James Campbell, born 1794 in Washington Co., VA. He married Musidora Anderson 1822; died in of Nashville, TN.
130 vi. Mary Campbell. She married James Cummings; died in of Abingdon, VA.
131 vii. Eliza Campbell.
132 viii. Catherine Campbell.