Facts and Events
John Burger was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from in Augusta County:
- Page 127 - John Burger, 50 acres, on Rockfish Gap Road. Mentioned David Glen, Manus Burger and the Gret Road. February 28, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 46].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 307.--15th August, 1780. John Burger and Suckey, of Albemarle. to Claudius Buster, of Augusta. (Note: location listed in May 1782 disposition: "on Blue Ridge Mountains in Augusta and Amherst, known as Rockfish Gap, patented to William Rodgers and John Burger").
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - A list of levys returned bad by John Smith for 1773-1774: William Amil, Hugh Brown, Geo. Wm. Downs, Wm. Erwin, Robert Herslit, Andrew Marchell, John Chism, Sam'l Erwin, twice returned; James Hockens, Mark Haden, George Jones, Thos. Mathews, Neal McMullen, Robert Campbell, twice returned; John Welch, James Brown, Conchy John, John McCoy, John Michel, David Martain, Nicklis Sallis, Robert Stephen, Dunchan McGrary, Campbell McColly, Francis Bowry, James Best, John Burger, James Scott, William Koles, Edward Nost, Michel McMaster, John Willay, Francis Brown, twice returned; John Crookshanks, James Dobbens, James Graham, Wm. McGill, twice returned; Chas. Conselven, Peter Counts, Abram Goodpaster, Anthony Foegale, John Reed, Cornelius Suliven, John Thomas, John Allison, twice returned; George Campbell, Thos. Dunbarr, John Erwin, Negro Moll, Wm. Wallace, Jno. Counrodright, Robert Ebison, Dabney Harris, Robert Love, James Demsay, Jno. Hunt, James Kerr, Wheilly Newby, James Porterfield, James Kenny, twice returned; Jno. Johnston, Jno. Rothwell, James Patterson, twice returned; Jacob Grass, Jr., twice returned.
- Page 448.--21st May, 1782. Claudius Bustard and Dorcas to James Hays and Braxton Easthum, on Blue Ridge Mountains in Augusta and Amherst, known as Rockfish Gap, patented to William Rodgers and John Burger.
- Page 242.--25th February, 1788. James Hayes, of Albemarle, Braxton Eastham, of Rockbridge, to William Greyson, Nathaniel Garland and James Brooks, of Albemarle, 333 acres at Rockfish Gap, three patents belonging to Manus Burger, deceased, and John Burger, lately in possession of Henry Lyon, and now in possession of James P. Hulse. Teste: Jesse and Thomas Stockton, John Mills.
Records in Kentucky
- Deed - 1806 April 25 Bourbon County Ky, John Burger and wife Catherine to Michael Conger or couger 40 acres on waters of Coopers Run for 60 pounds.
- John Burger purchased land patent Jan 30, 1811 in present-day Floyd County Indiana. At time of purchase he lived in Bourbon County KY.
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).