Facts and Events
John Buntin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Buntin's land (Borden Tract MW, 225 acres, 1750/51) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
John Buntin's land (Beverley Manor SW, 320 acres, 1772) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 187.--26th February, 1750-1751, &c. Same (From Benjamin Borden) to John Buntin, 225 acres on Back Creek.
- Page 230.--19th May, 1772. Beverley to John Bunton, £48, 320 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Wm. Ledgerwood, William Campbell, Thomas Steele; line of the Meeting House Place. Delivered: John Bunton, August Court, 1773.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 340.--29th June, 1771. John Buntain to John Wilson, £20, 226 acres of Bordens 92100, on Back Creek. Teste: John, Andrew and James Hays, Alex. Wilson, James Colter. Delivered: Mr. Wilson, August Court, 1777.
Processioning List of 1760 & 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 287.--1760: Processioned by Reagh and Huston: For James Walker, for James Robison, for James Moore, for Charles Hays, for Andrew Hays, for Samuel Dunlap, for Wm. Porter, for Robert Ealson, for James Anderson, for Jacob Anderson, for Wm. Young, for Alex. Walker, for Alex. Walker, Sr., for Robert Hurt, for John Edmiston, for James Buchanan, for William and Robert Buchanan, for Samuel Hayes, for John Robertson, for Mathew Robertson, for Widow Bell, for James Coulter, for John Buntin, for Wm. Buchanan, for Andrew Buchanan, for Alex. Miller, for John Wallace, for Samuel Buchanan, for Wm. Reaoh, for Joseph Culton, for John Walker, for Wm. Porter, for Robert Catton (Cotton), for John Hurt (Hart).
- Vol. 2 - Page 385.--15th February, 1765: Reported by Andw. Hall, Jas. Buchanan, viz: For John McCroskey, for Alex. Telford, for Rev. Jno. Brown, for William Patton, for Cap. Saml. McDowell, for James Greenlee, deceased; for Jno. Lyle, deceased; for David McCroskey, for Saml. Dunlap, for Jacob Anderson, for Andrew Hays, for Robt. Allison, for James Buchanan, for Andw. Buchanan, for Wm. Davies, for Wm. Berry, for James McKees, for Wm. Lusk, for Edward Tarr, for James McLang, for Henry McLang, for Isaac Anderson, for John Buntin, for William Young, for James Anderson, for James Thompson, for John Allison; for Alex. McCroskey, Jas. Duncan present; for Saml. Robinson, for Andw. Fitzpatrick.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 183.--16th March, 1757. James Mountgomery's appraisement, by Francis McKowan, John McKowan, Jacob Anderson, Jno. Buntin.
- Page 28.--2d October, 1766. Same (From Borden's executors) to Andrew Hays, £20, 100 acres, part of 92100, beginning on Back Creek in John McCoskry's line, corner Isaac Anderson; John Buntin's corner. Delivered: Robert Risk per order, 20th December, 1773.
- Page 184.--10th March, 1768. Same (From Borden's executors) to David Quin, £__, 210 acres, part of 92,100; corner John Bunton, North River, mouth of Back Creek.
Help fund new features!