Facts and Events
John Bowen, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 212.--19th May, 1762. Sampson Mathews to John Bowen, £47, 400 acres, conveyed as above (400 acres on James River). (Note: referencing record on page 201, 400 acres on James River acquired from Richard Borton and Ann, on 17 April 1762, listed below. Sampson Matthews was the brother-in-law of John Bowen).
Estate Records of John Bowen, Jr.
- Page 261.--19th October. 1769. George Mathews, William Mathews, John Maurray's bond (with Sampson Mathews, John Bowyer) as guardians (appointed) to John, Moses, William, Ann, Rebecca, Elizabeth Bowen, orphans of John Bowen, Jr.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER 19, 1769 - (32) George and William Mathews and John Maury appointed guardians of John, Moses, William, Ann and Elizabeth, orphans of John Bowen.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 201.--17th April, 1762. Richard Borton. of Cumberland County, North Carolina, and Ann ( ) to Samson Mathews, £47, 400 acres on James River. Teste: Joh. Bower, Arter ( ) Bowen.
- Page 356.--21st August, 1764. John Bowen's bond (with Jas. Edmiston, Edmond Crump), as administrators of Isaac Stover.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 23, 1764. - (84) Abraham Slover, orphan, to be bound to John Bowen. (Note: prob. s/b "Stover", not Slover, based upon record above).
- Page 145.--15th May, 1766. Robert Looney, Jr's., appraisement by William Harbison, John Bowen, Robert Rowland, Hugh Caruthers.
- Vol. 2 - 1767--Lists of Supernumeraries: James Henry, Mathew Ralston, Jno. Bowin, Robt. Armstrong, James Akin, David Tate, Edw'd McMullen, Thos. Hicklin, Sam'l Hodge, Pat Lowry, Wm. McMurry, Jas. Lauderdale, Jno. Hodge, Jno. Kinkead, James Simpson, James McCoy, Chas. Lewis, James Robinson, Jno. Henderson, Wm. Hugart, Wm. Feemster, Wm. Blanton, Thos. Willson, Jno. Lowry, Sam Campbell, David Smith, Robt. Kilpatrick, Robert Guinn, Wm. Martin, Wm. Lowry, Thomas King, Geo. Jemison, Sam'l Lawrence, Peter Right, Wm. Black, Jos. McDonald, Benj. Watson, Henry Bowin, Mary Glass, Sam'l McCrackin, Andrew Hamilton.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 18, 1767. - (347) John Bowen appointed overseer of the road from the ferry on James River to the Warm Springs, opposite to John McClure's.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 19, 1767. - (363) John Bowen.
Help fund new features!