Facts and Events
John Berrisford was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 805.--25th August, 1750. John Mathews, Gent., and Ann, 296 acres, to John Berrisford, farmer, James River, North Branch of James; Philip Weaver's Bottom; McDowell's Meadow Creek; corner McDowell. Teste: Edward Boyle, Joshua and Richard Mathews.
- Page 165.--Same date (28th November, 1751). Same (From James Patton) to John Berrisford, 120 acres by patent as above (Buffalo Creek of James). McDowells Meadow run in Forks of James. Survey of John Mathews; McDowell's line.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 326.--18th May, 3 755. John Berrisford and Mary ( ) to James Edmiston, £115, 416 acres on North Branch of James, Samuel McDowell's line.
Will of John Berrisford
VIRGINIA WILLS BEFORE 1799, by Clemens:
- John Berrisford, Amherst County, Virginia. Will filed 5 March 1763. Wife Mary. Daughters: Jean; Francis; Siddey (Sidney?); Ann; Mary; Catrin; Margaret.
- (Note: Ann Berrisford was second wife of James Arnold; Catrin Berrisford was wife of Benjamin Bennett.)
Estate/Guardian Records of John Berrisford
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1764. - (401) James Trimble appointed guardian for Ann and Lydia Berrisford, orphans of John Berrisford.
- Page 322.--21st March, 1764. James Trimble's bond (with Wm. McKee) as guardian (appointed) to Ann and Lydia Berrisford, orphans of John Berrisford.
Records of John Berrisford in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1752. - (247) Thos. and Jno. Paxton and John Berrisford, to value improvements of John Lowry on 2 tracts on No. Br. of James River.
- Page 424.--15th June, 1752. Valuation of John Lowry's 250 acres on North Branch James River, by Thomas Paxton, John Berrisford.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1753. - (73) John Paxton to be overseer of road from Edmonston's Mill to Fork Meeting House, with these: James Trimble, Michael Finney, John Berrisford, Wm. Holdman, John Hardin, Hugh Means, Joseph Lapsley, Peter Wallace, Saml. McClure, Abram Brown, John Moore, Robert Moore, Stephen Arnold, Saml. Paxton, Jas. Edmondson.
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754, Pt. 2. - Return for constable in Fork James River. John Berriesford, Michael Finney, Stephen Arnold.
- Vol. 2 - 1755--DELINQUENTS.- List of Robert Breckinridge, Sheriff: Jno. Berrisford (listed among many others).
- Page 205.-- (Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate:) John Berrisford, 4th December, 1753. (listed among many others).
- Vol. 1 - JUNE, 1764 (A). - George Cox and Elizabeth, his wife, vs. Mary Berrisford.--Slander. Writ 22d February, 1764. Mary said in 1763 Betty Cox did poison John Berrisford (late husband of Mary) because John would not run away with her, whereas at time of speaking John had been dead some time. (Note: Perhaps Hell hath no fury...)
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1765 (B). - McClung vs. Berrisford.--John Berrisford owned land on North Branch James River, adjoining William Halman, John Harper and James Edmondson. He sold in 1761 to James McClung, but before deed was made Berrisford died, leaving no sons, but seven daughters--Mary, Catherine, Margaret, Agnes, Frances, Lydia and Jennet. Most were infants.