Facts and Events
John Bennett: Biographical Information
John was the son of Adam Bennett, Sr. and Hannah. John's father Adam, Sr. was formerly enslaved on Magnolia Plantation in Charleston, South Carolina. John and his wife Hettie are enumerated on the 1920 Census. His household was:
John, head, age 42
Hettie, wife, age 25
There were no children in the household.
John would later become the overseer at Magnolia Plantation. John died in 1926 and is buried in the Magnolia Plantation Cemetery.
You can follow the links in the Family Group Sheet below to see the pages for each member of John's immediate family.
Family Group Sheet
You can click on "More" then "Pedi-Map" at the top right corner of this page to view pedigree charts, maps, timelines, thumbnail images and more for John's family.
About This Page
This page is part of a groundbreaking research project to rediscover the family lineages of enslaved people on Drayton family plantations in Barbados and the United States. To read more about this historic research, please visit the article below:
Genealogy of Enslaved Communities on Drayton Family Plantations: A Research Project Sponsored by the Magnolia Plantation Foundation of Charleston, SC
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1920 Federal Census, United States.
Census Year: 1920;Census Place: Charleston Ward 10, Charleston, South Carolina; Roll: T625_1687; Page: 13B; Enumeration District: 53; Image: 1091.
- 1880 Federal Census, United States.
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Saint Andrews, Charleston, South Carolina; Roll: T9_1223; Family History Film: 1255223; Page: 67.2000; Enumeration District: 81
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Magnolia Plantation Cemetery, Charleston, South Carolina.
Inscription: "John Bennett 1878-1926 For 30 Years Supt. of Magnolia Gardens. In Life the Family He Served Loved and Trusted Him, In Death They Honor Him"
- Of the 49 marked graves in the African American Cemetery at Magnolia Plantation 14 of those interred there are members of the Bennett family. They are:
1) IN MEMORIUM HANNAH WIFE OF ADAM BENNETT DIED DEC.7,1908
2) IN MEMORIUM ADAM BENNETT DIED APRIL 27, 1910 AGED 72 YEARS
3) JOHN BENNETT 1878-1926 FOR 30 YEARS SUPT. OF MAGNOLIA GARDENS
IN LIFE THE FAMILY HE SERVED LOVED AND TRUSTED HIM, IN DEATH THEY HONOR HIM
4) WILLIAM J. BENNETT 1908-1925 AT REST
5) ELIGAH C. BENNETT 1909-1933 AT REST
6) EVELYN BENNETT JENKIN 1907-1936 AT REST
7) GABRIEL BENNETT DIED MAY 25, 1938 AT REST
8) HATTIE BENNETT 1886- 1954
9) MOTHER LOLA BENNETT 1898-1948
10)REBBECCA WESTON 12 9 1954
11)SUSAN BENNETT HADDOCK APRIL 13, 1886 DEC. 10, 1957
12)EZEKIAL BENNETT 1886-1949 AT REST
13)SIMON BENNETT JAN 4,1873 NOV.26,1939 AT REST
14)ELLA BENNETT 1896-1944 AT REST
Help fund new features!