m. bef. 1724
- Jacob Bear1724 - 1780
- John Bearabt 1731 -
Facts and Events
John Bear was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 411.--10th August, 1761. Jacob Bear (Bare, Bair) and Barbary ( ) to John Bare, £20. on Fort Run; cor. Raider's land, 130 acres. Teste: Burr Harrison, Adam Rcder, Mathias Reder. Dieivered: Jas. Craig, February, 1763. (Note: John received this land from his brother, Jacob Bear).
- Page 188.--17th March, 1767. Francis ( ) McBride, fanner, and Mary ( ) to John Bear, farmer, £270, 300 acres on Linvel's Creek, part of 500 acres which Jacob Chrisman purchased of Joseph Bryan; also part of 1500 acres surveyed for William Linvell, being the same 300 acres conveyed by Jacob Chrisman to Francis McBride, 5th April, 1761. Delivered: Obediah Monsey.
- Page 285.--15th May, 1770. John Cravens and Margaret ( ) to John Bear, £130, on Linvel's Creek, part of 7,009 acres patented to Hite, McCoy et als., 28th March, 1739, and sold by several intermediate conveyances to Cravens, 8th August, 1767, containing 240 acres. Delivered: John Bear, November, 1772.
- Page 347.-- 22d August, 1771. George Mathews, High Sheriff of Augusta, and Ursilla Long, wife of Charles Longe, late of Augusta, to John Bear, farmer. On 25th June, 1770, John Thomas brought bill in chancery in County Court Augusta, against Charge Longe, clerk, to subject Charles's lands to payment of a debt in which decree was entered, 29th November, 1770, £90.1, on head of Fort Run, 320 acres patented to Daniel Johnston, 16th August, 1756, and by him conveyed to James Johnston, 16th May, 1762, and by him conveyed to said Charles Longe, 24th October, 1768. Delivered: Jno. Bear, December, 1771.
- Page 502.--15th November, 1773. Joel Robinson and Margarett, of Hampshire County, to John Bear, patented to Joel, 31st October, 1765, corner James Robinson.
Land Grant Surveys in Virginia:
- Page 155 - John Bear, 616 acres, Branch of the North Shenandoah River. Adjoining Jacob Bear, Raders, Joel Robinson, Isaac Robinson. June 9, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 56].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 434.--9th August, 1761. John Bear and Caterean ( ) to Eve Sircle, £20, 130 acres at a place called the Bair Glade. Delivered: Lud Zirkle, May, 1770.
- Page 14.--17th August, 1768. John Bear and Kartharine ( ) to Francis McBride, £190, 200 acres on Linvell's Creek, part of 500 acres patented to William Linwell and by him conveyed to Joseph Bryant, 20th August, 1746, and by him to Jacob Crisman, who conveyed 300 acres thereof to said Francis McBride and by him to said John Bear, 17th March, 1746, 200 acres whereof is bounded, viz., corner Josiah Boon's part. Delivered: Jacob Miller, 7th August, 1771.
- Page 17.--17th August, 1768. Same (From John Bear and Kartharine) to Josiah Boon, £90, 100 acres on Linvell's Creek, part of 200 acres as above; corner Francis McBride; Chrisman's line. Receipt for £90 is signed by Jacob Bear. Delivered: Jacob Bear, 7th August, 1771.
Records of John Bear in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 234.--24th October, 1768. James Johnson and Susanna to Charles Long, £130, 330 acres on head of Fort Run, patented to Daniel Johnson, 16th August, 1756, and by him conveyed to James. Teste: Abraham Bird, Jacob Miller, Rudy Mauck. Delivered: Jno. Bear by order, 19th December,1 1774.
- Page 334.--11th April A. D., 1769 (vid p. 150, supra.). The moveable effects of Isaac Brackfield. deceased, sold at public auction as follows, viz: Drs. William Barefield, John Bear, Anthony Rader, Michael Lamb, Jacob Holman, Mathias Rader, Jacob Miller, Conrad Humble, Michael Kintner, Thomas Pickens, James Johnson, Christopher Brackfield, George Kintner, Saml. Nicholas, Rese Thomas, Martin Craider, Adam Rader, Sr., George Trumbo, James Cain, James Beggs, Michael Hannegam, Jacob Brackfield.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1770. - (116) John Bear and George Spear naturalized.
- Page 401.--17th August, 1771. Francis ( ) McBride and Mary ( ) to Thomas Hood, of Frederick County, £248, 200 acres on Linwill's Creek, Between Josiah Boon and Josiah Davison. part of 1500 acres patented to McCay, Hite & Co., and by them conveyed to William Linvil, and by him to Jos. Bryant, and by him to Jacob Chrisman, Sr., by him to Francis McBride. by him to John Bear, by him to Francis again, 17th August, 1768, corner Josiah Boone's part of same tract. Teste: Abraham Miller, Michael Warren, Daniel Smith. John Thomas. Proved by oaths of some and by affirmation of Abraham Miller. Delivered: John Thomas, 7th August, 1772.
- Page 158.--12th December, 1772. George Mathews and Ursilla Lange, wife of Charles Lange. Privy examination of Ursilla to deed, 23d October, 1771, to John Bear. Taken. 12th December, 1772.
- Page 153.--1st September, 1773. The will of John Bender literally translated--To dear father and mother; to wife, Catharine; to sister, Margaret; to three sisters. Teste: John Bear, Adam Rader, Conrad Holle Proved, 16th November, 1773. This will of John Bender, alias Painter, proved by Jacob Mayer to be a true translation, and by Bear and Holle. Administration granted Catharine Painter, who qualifies (mark) with John Bear, Nicholas Keern, Christian Painter.