Facts and Events
John Adams was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 51.--2d February, 1754. Same (From Col. James Patton) to John Adams, 210 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. land of Michael Kinder; cor. Price's land, Lorton's line, Jacob Harmon's line.
- Page 204.--4th February, 1763. John Sloan, of Roan County, North Carolina, to John Adams, £35, 300 acres on Loonie's Mill Creek. Teste: John Buchanan, David Luney, Benj. Davis, Abraham McClelan, George Adams, Hugh ( ) McNelle.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 53.--17th June, 1767. John Adams and Elizabeth ( ) to Andrew Woods, £70, 300 acres on a branch of Looney's Mill Creek. Teste: Robert Finley, Stephen Trigg.
- Page 291.--15th May, 1770. John ( ) Adam (Adams) and Agness ( ) to Joseph Foard, £32, 90 acres in South Mountain on west side of the main ridge. (Note: this appears to be land conveyed by John Adams and his mother, Agnes to Joseph Foard, perhaps land owned by John's father, Robert Adams).
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 409.--1765: Processioners on Waters of James and Catawbo, on South side, report, viz: For John Smith, for Jno. McFerrin, for Jno. McClellan; for Jno. Allcorn, where he now lives; for David Mitchell; for Wm. Rowland, on Patrick's Run; for Alex. Evans; for John Crawford, where he now lives; for John Adams.
Records of John Adams in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 55.--2d February, 1754. Same (From Col. James Patton) to Michael Kinder, 200 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. John Adams, white oak in the Naked Land; cor. Jacob Lingell.
- Page 67.--2d February, 1754. Patton to Augustine, Henry and Daniel Price, 1130 acres on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Cor. Jacob Lorton, line of John Adams' land.
- Page 97.--10th February, 1754. Jacob Harmon to Wm. Byers, 170 acres conveyed to Harmon by Patton 1st February, 1754, on Tom's Creek. Cor. John Adams.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: John Adams, 1st February, 1754. (listed among many others).
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1767: John Adams, R. Creek.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1767. - (220) Deed John Adams and Elizabeth to Andrew Woods, partly proved.
- Vol. 1 - File No. 927.--Scott vs. Scott. John Scott complains that William Scott, formerly of Augusta County, and late of Lincoln County, now in Kentucky, being indebted to John Adams, executed his bond, dated 1st September, 1785, shortly thereafter left this State and hath gone to parts unknown, having first sold his land to James Ewen, now deceased. (same John Adams?)
Help fund new features!