Facts and Events
John Monger was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 167 - John Monger, 84 acres, North side of the Shenandoah River. Adjoining Francis Kerkley and his own land. April 30, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 61].
Records of John Monger in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 168 - George and Stephen Conrad, 105 acres, between the Peaked Mountain and the Shenandoah River. Adoining Samuel Thornhill, Fulch, John Monger, John Seller. April 20, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 61].
- Page 168 - John Fulch, 40 acres, North side of the Shenandoah. Adjoining John Monger and his own land. April 24, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 61].
- Page 63 - Sinclair Kirkley, 30 acres, Shenandoah River. Adjoining his own land, John Munger, Sellers, Nicholas Null. June 14, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 119].
- Vol. 2 - Deeds and Maraha (Moerehan) vs. Snider's heirs--O. S. 315; N. S.112--Bill, 21st June, 1813, by John Marsha and Philip Deeds. They bought land in Rockingham from Casper Snyder on Naked Creek, 200 acres in 1795. Casper is dead without making deed and leaving sons, John, Henry, Jacob, David, daughters, viz: Eve, married to Lawrence Hooran (?); Susanna, married to George Hammer; Catherine, married _____ Cramer; Mary, married to Jacob Shaver; Margaret, married _____ Robertson. Amended bill by John Marsha (?) and Elizabeth, his wife, late Deeds; John, George, Valentine Deeds, children and heirs of Philip Deeds. William Monger, the original patentee (patent, 1771), gave Casper title bond for the land. William Monger died, intestate, leaving sons, John, Henry, David, William; daughters, Mary, married to Leonard Scratch; Eve, married to Martin Theophilus Myers. John Monger, Sr., is dead, intestate, leaving children, viz: Martin, Henry, John, now dead; Susannah, married to Michael Dick; Mary, married to Harmon Aughe (Ohe); Margaret, married to John Peterfish; John Long and Barbara Long now carried to Abraham Louderback, but formerly wife of David Dopplemire, which John and Barbara are children and heirs of Mathias Long, and wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Monger, Sr., and the children of John Monger, Jr., now deceased, to whom Michael Dick is guardian. In 1802 David, William (Jr.) Monger, Leonard Scratch and Mary, Martin Myer and Eve were living in Detroit. Deed, _____, 1794, by Henry and David Monger, sons of Wm. Monger, deceased, both of Rockingham, to Casper Snyder, 220 acres on Naked Creek in Rockingham, granted to William, 3d August, 1771, and by him conveyed to Henry and David by will. Recorded in Rockingham, April, 1794. Deed, _____ _____, by Henry, David, William Monger, Leonard Scratch and Mary, his wife; Martin Theophilus Myres and wife Eve, surviving heirs of William Monger, late of New Virginia, deceased, to Gasper Snyder, the above 220 acres. Acknowledged, 1802, in Wayne County Territory, northwest of the Ohio. Recorded in Rockingham, September, 1804.