Johannes 'John' Keplinger
Facts and Events
Johannes 'John' Keplinger was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 481.--17th August, 1757. Borden's executors to John Camplin, £10, 156 acres, part of 800 acres above (part of 800 patented to Borden, 1746). (Note: 212 acres of Borden's 800 acres were sold to Conrad Lamb in the preceding record. The 800-acre tract, located on the North Branch of the Shenandoah River (where the river runs between the mountains (west of Broadway, Virginia, in present day Rockingham County)), was originally granted to Benjamin Borden in 1734 Source).
- Page 81 - John Keplinger, 290 acres, South River in Brocks Gap. July 25, 1788. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 125].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 119.--17th February, 1761. John Camplin (Johannes Keplinger) and Lydia ( ) Camplin (Keplinger), his wife, to John Gratton, £50, on the River, 156 acres, part of 800 acres taken up by Benj. Borden, Jr., and by his executors conveyed to John Camplin, 7th August, 1757. Teste: John Camplin. Delivered.
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 446.--1767-68: Processioned by Joseph Skidmore, Geo. Dice, Henry Banener, viz: For Samuel Morrels, present Wm. Eaverman; for John Skidmore, present Valentine Cassel and Jacob Conrad; for Geo. Caplinger, present Jacob Harper and Jno. Caplinger; for Valentine Giles, deceased, present Geo. Giles; for Peter Flesher, for Henry Banener, for Woolrey Conrad, for George Dice. Processioned by Cornelius Ruddle, David Robeson: For Thomas Bryan, for John Linkhorn, for Robert Belshee, for Wm. Dunlap, for John Miller, for Wm. Pickens; for Mathias Leer, Jos. Leer present; for Tunish Vanpeter, for Abraham Miller, for George Speare, for Skid Muncy's land, for Cornelius Ruddle, for Thomas Moore, for David Robinson. Processioned by John Coutts and John Miller, viz: For John Miller, for John Fudge, for John Munge (Conrad Fudge present), for Geo. Hufman, for Geo. Gunrod, for Henry Dick, for Peter Brunemer, for Henry Lung, for Francis Kirtley, for Christopher Cisling, for Boston Nester, for Jerod Peterfish, for Stephen Hanceberry, for John Sellers, for Jacob Runkle, for Nicholas Null, for Charles Fie, for Daniel Link, for Daniel Price, for David McComis, for John Burk, for Mathias Cersh, for Jacob Hammer.
Records of John Keplinger in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 377.--3d and 4th August, 1773. George Caplinger's (of South Branch) estate sold at vendue--To Leonard Probst, Jacob Caplinger, Danl. Probst, Henry Caplinger, Catherine Caplinger, Elizabeth Caplinger, John Caplinger, Geo. Caplinger, Adam Caplinger, Michael Alkeir, Ulrick Conrad, Christian Pickle, Stovel Low, Valentine Post, John Skidmore; to Doctor Neal, Chas. Bowers, Peter Caphart, Aron Skyhaw, Zachoriah Rexrode. Geo. Caplinger (2 crout tubs), Joseph Skidmore, Elizabeth Harbold, Jacob Rude, Jobb Velton, George Ganker, Thomas Willmott, Aron Vansye, Martin Coyle, Danl. Richardson, Danl. Hornbeck.
- Page 245.--8th November, 1773. Thomas West's will--To wife, Catens; to daughter, Judy Tiswaters (Fiswaters?); to daughter, Christian Narlr; to daughter, Elizabeth. If wife should be with child. Executrix, wife. Teste: Daniel Smith, Paul Kustan (Kester?), Richard Kester. Proved, 20th May, 1774, by witnesses. Catherine qualifies (signed Caian West) with Paul Keester (Kaster), John Caplinger.
Johannes "John" Keplinger/Caplinger moved from PA to Rockingham County, VA by 1757, where he bought 157 acres in Brocks Gap area (then Augusta County). In 1761, John Caplenner and wife, Lydia, bought 206 acres in what is now Hardy Co., WV (then part of Hampshire Co., VA). This land was sold in 1773 and they appear again in the Brocks Gap area in land records until 1788, which may be when John died.
Various records indicate that John and Lydia were the parents of:
1. John Keplinger, Jr., b. March 14, 1747 in Lancaster Co., PA, m. Barbara Reager about 1770 in Augusta Co., VA, and d. before 1818 in Wilson Co., TN
2. George Keplinger, b. about 1749 and d. after 1835
3. Christian Keplinger, b. March 10, 1750 in PA, m. (1) Ann? unknown (2) Magdalene Zirkle 1794 in Shenandoah Co., VA, and d. in Rockingham Co., VA