- Johannah Hayes1841 - 1891
Facts and Events
||Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland(according to grave marker)
||20 Aug 1853
||Boston, Boston County, Massachusetts
||to Morgan Cronin
||22 Oct 1858
||Tippecanoe County, Indianato Morgan Cronin
||22 Mar 1891
||61 N. State St, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana
||28 Mar 1891
||Holy Cross Cemetery, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana
- Hays, Johanna. Accompanied by __________. Age: 11 yrs. Nationality: Irish. Last permanent residence: Ireland. Port of Entry: Boston, Mass. Vessel: North America. Date: 20 Aug 1853.
- NOTE: It's extremely unlikely that an 11-year-old girl would be crossing the ocean by herself, but the "accompanied by" space is blank in the original. Her apparently widowed mother, Ellen, appears in the household in the 1870 & 1880 censuses -- but not in 1860, the first census after Johannah's marriage at age 17. Did Johannah stay in Boston for the intervening five years? Did she live with family members who had already emigrated to the U.S.? And where was her mother? Johannah was born in Kerry and Morgan was from (probably) the western part of Cork; were the two families previously acquainted? Did Johannah come (or was she brought) specifically to marry Morgan Cronin, . . . even though she had to wait to be old enough? --Mike (mksmith) 22:17, 28 May 2009 (EDT)
1890 Indianapolis City Directory:S5
- Cronin, Johannah (widow Morgan) 209 Meek St, Indianapolis.
- Johannah moved the family to Indianapolis shortly after Morgan's death in 1888, presumably so they could find work.
Holy Cross Cemetery (Indianapolis) Burial Record:S3
- Cronin, Johanna, age 50. Lot 744, Sec 4-E.
- Address: 61 N. State.
- Died March 22, 1891, interred March 28, 1891.
- Kin: Michael J. Cronin.
- Undertaker: R. L. & H.
1841 - 1891"
- ↑ Pulaski, Indiana, United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Salem Twp, Francesville, P. 116.
- ↑ St. Joseph's Cemetery.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Calvary Cemetery (Indianapolis, Indiana); Indiana) Calvary Mausoleum (Indianapolis; Indiana) Holy Cross Cemetery (Indianapolis; and Indiana) St. Joseph Cemetery (Indianapolis. Interment records of Calvary, Holy Cross, St. Joseph, and Calvary Mausoleum, Catholic cemeteries, Indianapolis, Indiana. (Salt Lake City, Utah, United States: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987).
- ↑ United States. Department of the Treasury. Bureau of Customs. A supplemental index to passenger lists of vessels arriving at Atlantic & Gulf Coast ports (excluding New York) 1820-1874. (Washington, District of Columbia: National Archives Record Services, 1960), Roll 75 (LDS 418,235), B2298, p. 1.
- Indianapolis City Directory, 1890 edition.. (1890).