Facts and Events
Johan Peter Weisman was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Peter Weisman
Will Abstract from Chalkley's:
- Page 337.--2d December, 1798. Peter Wiseman's (in German) will, farmer--To wife, Elizabeth Margaret. (If before son Peter comes of age.) To children, viz: Lodwick, Ana Mary (wife of Philip Hawn), Susanna, John Goerge, Christena (wife of Jacob Smith), Catherena (wife of George Doll), Mary Eve Weiseman, Margaret, Magdalena, Peter Weiseman. Executors, wife and son Lodwick. Teste: Frederick Henger, George Doll. Proved, 18th December, 1798, by Fred. Hanger and George Dull. Executors qualify.
- In the name of God amen. I Peter Wiseman of Augusta County in the State of Virginia, Farmer being very sick and weak in body, But of Perfect mind and memory (thanks be to God for the Same) & Calling to mind the mortality of my body knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, make this my last will and Testament in manner & form following. Viz Principally & First of all I recommend my Soul unto the hands and mercy of God that gave it & my body to Earth to be buried in a Christian & Deasent like manner, at the discharge of my Estate hereafter mentioned & having Such worldly Estate as it pleased God to Bless me with in this life, I give & dispose of the Same in following manner, and it is my last will and Testament, that all my Just acts & funeral Charges to be paid by my Exir out of the property I now Transfer to my dear and Beloved Children, at or after the disseas of my Beloved wife Elizabeth Margret Wiseman, if dieing before my son Peter has arived the mature age of 21 years then the Same to be devided as folloeth Now yea that I Transfer & Bequeath all my land tenements & Purtenancys thereunto Belongin with all the utensils, Chattles, horses, Sheep, hogs housenfurniture Beading & Every Individual to tedious to mention unto my Beloved Children which are namely Lodwik Wiseman, 2d Ana Mary wife of Philip Hawn 3dly Susanna Wiseman 4thly John George Wiseman 5thly Christena Smith wife of Jacob Smith 6thly Catherena Wife of George Doll 7thly Mary Eve Wiseman, 8thly Margaret 9thly Magdelena 10thly Peter Wiseman which are 10 in number, all in Equal part of the within mentioned property or of the Appraisement thereof, at or after the dissease of my Beloved wife who I do hereby Authorize as Executrice & my Son Lodwick as Executor Now know yea that the said Elisabeth Margaret is nominated as one of the Exrs during her widowhood only, if remaining in that Station of widowhood During life then the within property or the appraisement thereof to be devided as heretofore mentioned but if She the said Elizabeth Margaret Should again enter a Stare of marriage then the said Lodwick after the youngest Child is of age by Law, is to dispose of all the Property according to Law and Distribute the Same as heretofore mentioned, in a legal and Brother like manner So I Conclude this as my last will and Testament revoking and disallowing all other will other will or wills heretofore by me made, Ratifying & Confirming this as my last will & Testament In witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand Seal this 8th day of December in the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred and ninety eight.
- Peter Wiseman (Seal)
- Signed Sealed & Published Pronounced & Declared by the Said Peter Wiseman to be his last will & Testament in presence of
- Fredrick Hanger, George Dull, (their marks)
- At a Court held for Augusta County December 18th 1798 this last will & testament of Peter Wiseman decd was proved by the oaths of Fredrick Hanger & Geo. Dull the witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Elizabeth Margaret Wiseman and Lodwick Wiseman the Exce & Exr named in said will who made oath according to Law and together with George Dull and George Dull Jr. Their Securities entered into & acknowledge their Bond in the Penalty of $1000 conditioned as the Law directs Certificate is granted them for obtaining a Probate thereof in due form.
- Teste: Jacob Kinney, Clk
[Source: Genforum.com post]
Records of Johan Peter Weisman in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - JULY 22, 1795. - (328-329) George Puff, Jacob Pickle and Peter Wiseman exempted from levy.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1796---May 12, Jacob Smith (German) and Peter Wiseman Jacob Smith (German) and Christiania Wiseman, daughter of Peter Wiseman.
- Vol. 2 - 1798--March 28, George Dull and Peter Wiseman, surety. George Dull and Catherine Wiseman, daughter of said Peter Wiseman.
Information on Johan Peter Weisman
From Ancestry.com post:
From: "Sam D. Lawson" <lawson@@hsonline.net>
Subject: WISEMAN INFO
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:05:54 -0500
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:15:26 -0500
From: "Sam D. Lawson" <lawson@@hsonline.net>
Mary WISEMAN/WEISSMANN was born 20 April, 1762, in Germantown, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Peter WISEMAN/WEISSMANN and Elizabeth Margaret HEMM. Her birth is recorded in the Germantown Reformed Church there where her parents were married on 24 JUne, 1760. They were married by John Geo ALSENTZ. This church is now the New Market Square
Peter WISEMAN/WEISSMAN was the son of Peter and Catherina WEISSMANN. The younger Peter was born 3 October, 1729, in Sippersfield, Germany. He came to America on 27 September, 1754, aboard the ship EDINBURG, from Rotterdam, Germany, arriving in Philadelphia. At the courthouse there, on 30 September, 1754, he took the standard qualifications.
Elizabeth Margaret HEMM was born about 1730. Peter and Elizabeth had ten children:
- A. Lewis "Ludwig" WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married Catherine HULL on 8 January, 1799.
- B. Susannah WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married John Bright on 9 October, 1802.
- C. Christiana WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married Jacob SMITH/SCHMIDT on 12 May, 1796.
- D. Mary Eve WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married William FOSTER.
- E. Catherine WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married George DULL on 28 March, 1798.
- F. Magdalene WISEMAN/WEISSMAN, who married Jacob DULL on 18 April, 1815.
- G. Peter WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married Elizabeth WEHRLEY on 23 May, 1814.
- H. John George WISEMAN/WEISSMANN, who married Margaret COWMAN/KAUMANN about 1797, a daughter of John and Mary KAUMANN.
- I. Ann Mary WISEMAN/WEISSMAN, born 20 April, 1762. She married Philip COX.
- J. Peggy WISEMAN/WEISSMAN, who married John DULL on 25 April, 1803.
The Peter WISEMAN/WEISSMAN family came to Augusta County, Virginia about 1780.
Peter WISEMAN/WEISSMAN wrote a Will which was proven in Augusta County, Virginia, on 18 December, 1798. (Will Book 8, Page 337, written in German)
Elizabeth Margaret (HEMM) WISEMAN/WEISSMANN (Will Book 10, Page 10) Bond and Inventory, 1805.
Peter and Elizabeth Margaret (HEMM) WISEMAN/WEISSMANN are said to be buried in the St. John's Lutheran-Reformed Church Cemetery at Middlebrook, in the Riverheads District, Augusta County, Virginia. (Presently St. John's Church Of Christ, I believe....)
- Familysearch submissions
- Chalkley's Chronicles, Augusta County, Virginia Records
Help fund new features!