Facts and Events
Early Land Acquisition in Frederick County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Vol. 2:
- N-116: George Summer of Frederick County, 442 acres on North River and Tom's Brook in said County. Surv. Robert Rutherford. Adjoining Jonathan Denton, Thomas Gray. 12 August 1766. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 174].
- Will Book B, page 334-- (translated from German)
- In the name of GOD Amen, I George Sommer of Shenandoah County in the State of Virginia being at present of sound and disposing mind and memory and sensible of this mental life.
- I do hereby publish declare make and constitute this my last will and testament as followeth Viz:
- First my will and desire is that all of my debts together with my funeral expenses be paid & discharged as soon as convenient after my decease by my Executor herein after nominated and appointed to this my last will and testament.
- Secondly I do give and bequeath to my dear beloved wife Mary Margaretha Sommer during her natural life one full third of my real and personal Estate after my decease or if she shall chose her maintenance from out of her third of my Estate with my son Andrew Sommer if they should so agree that is say my said wife Mary Margaretha Sommer shall one full third part of my Estate upon the plantation where I now live in the County of Shenandoah in the state aforesaid during her natural life and after her decease the same shall descend to my said son Andrew Sommer provided that if my said wife should be willing to have her maintenance out of said Estate and land of my said plantation besides her bed & bedsteads and bedcovers everything whereunto belonging as it shall be at the day of my decease to her as aforesaid during her natural life and peaceable possession in the house wherein I shall live before the day of my decease on the plantation aforesaid and if my said son Andrew and my said wife should not agree amongst themselves for her good maintenance during her natural life out & from my Estate and on my said plantation and have and her coats and bedstead and bed as aforesaid first to her delivered than my said son Andrew Sommer his Executor & Administrator or Afore assigned shall give peaceable house room & possession on my said plantation aforesaid during her natural life and the one full third of my aforesaid and I further give and bequeath to my sons Johannes Sommer and Michael Sommers decd heirs John Sommer Paul Sommer and Andrew Sommer and my daughters Elizabeth Yeager and Eve Black all my two thirds and remainder of my personal estate remaining of the debts first paid and my said wife's part taken from it I give the two other third & remainder as aforesaid to my said sons and daughters here above mentioned to them & their several heirs and assigned to be equally divided among them the aforesaid and my will and desire is that if the said personal estate aforesaid my said children cannot agree among themselves upon a division as aforesaid among them selves that the same shall be sold by my Executors and the money arriving from such shall be equally divided as aforesaid among them and no more and my real estate and plantation aforesaid in the county aforesaid containing one hundred sixty acres more or less of land I do give and bequeath? the same to my youngest son Andrew Sommer to be by him possessed and all appurtenances thereunto belonging or any wise appertaining I give the said plantation of one hundred and sixty acres as aforesaid to my said sin Andrew Sommer to him and to his heirs and assigned for ever with all houses and profits after the day of decd. Of my wife Mary Margaretha Sommer for ever and lastly I do hereby nominate constitute & appoint my true friends John Mauk and Phillipe Wendel to be the Executors to this my last will and testament allowing this and no other to be my last will & testament ratifying and disannulling all others by me heretofore at any time by me made In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this nineteenth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty two.
- (Signed) George Sommer
- Sealed Signed and Declared by the said George Sommer to be his last will and testament in the presence of the subscribers who have hereunto set our hands as witnesses in the presence of the Testators Alexander Hite, Abraham Hochman, Johannes Jarsman.
- At a court held for the County of Shenandoah on Thursday the 26th Day of April 1787. The last will and Testament of George Sommer Decd. was produced to the Court by John Mauk & Phillipe Wendel Executors therein named and was proved by the oaths of Alexander Hite, Abraham Hochman & John Hochman & to be rec'd. on the motion of the said Executors a probate thereof is granted them they having sworn to the same & given Bond & Security according to the law.
- Teste John Williams.
- Know all men by these presents that we John Mauk & Philipe Wendel & George Keller & John Windle are held and firmly bound unto Charles Bird, Jos. Watson Jacob Rinker George Keller E. Jones & Wick Keagle Gentleman Justices of the County of Shenandoah now sitting in the sum of one thousand pounds current money of Virginia to the payment will & truly to be made to the said Justices their successors will bind ourselves our & each of our heirs Exec's and Administrators jointly and severally firmly by these presents sealed with our seals & dated this 26th Day of April 1781.
- The conditions of the above is such that if the above bounden. John Mauk & Philipe Windle Executors of the Last will and Testament of George Sommer Decd. do make or cause to be made a perfect inventory of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Creditors of the said decedent which have or shall come to the hands or possession of the said John Mauk & Philipe Windle or into the hands or possession of any other person or persons for them & the same so made do Exhibit or cause to be Exhibited unto the County Court of Shenandoah at such time as they shall be hereunto required by the said Court to the same Goods Chattels & Creditors of the said decd. At the time of his death or any time hereafter shall come to the hands or possession of the said John Mauk & Philipe Windle or into the hands or possession of any other person or persons for them to do well & truly administer according to law & further do make a just and true account of all their actings & doings therein when there is required by the said Court & also do well & truly pay & deliver all the legacies contained & rectified in the said Testament as far as the said Goods Chattels & Credits will Whereunto extend of the said charges then the above obligation to void else to remain in full force and virtue.
- Signed & Sealed in the presence of the Court }Johannes Mauk, Philipe Wendel, George Keller,Johannes Wendel
- Know all men by these presents that we Clary Coffett & Henry Huddle & George Harris are held and firmly bound with Jacob Rinker ??? Joseph Watson George Keller & Evan Jones Gentleman Justices of the County Court of Shenandoah now sitting in the sum of one thousand pounds to which payment well and truly to be made to the said Justices and their successors We bind ourselves and each of us we & our heirs Executors and Administrators jointly and severally firmly by these presents sealed with our seals & dated this twenty sixth Day of April 1787.
Records of George Summers in Virginia
- N-6: George Weaver of Frederick County, 320 acres including place where he lives on Tom's Brook on North River of Shannandoah in said County. Surv. Robert Rutherford. Adjoining Abraham Denton, Andrew Summerwalt, George Summer. 20 May 1766. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 168].
- P-297: Henry Hoyser of Dunmore County, 198 acres near Strasburg in said County. Surv. Richard Rigg. Adjoining Henry & Christopher Sumwalt, James Millar, George Summers, Andrew Yagar, Joseph Ritenhour. 3 Oct. 1774. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 226].