Facts and Events
John Ludwig Francisco was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 453.--20th November, 1747. £5. Henry Downs, Sr., of Orange, to Ludwick Francisco, 470 acres on south side Shanado patented to Henry Downs, 25th June, 1747; corner of the 800 tract near lower end of the great island. Acknowledged, 19th November, 1747.
- Page 416.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Ludwick Francisco, 180 acres as above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5,000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract) on Cub Run; Bruster's land.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 59.--29th August, 1751. Christophel Francisco of Borough of Lancaster (by Stofleel Francisco), and Ludwick Francisco to Thomas Lewis, Gent., Great Island, 478 acres, part of 800 acres, granted to Stover, 12th December, 1738, and by Stover to Christophel, deed recorded in Orange, on Shannandore, opposite land formerly John Bumgardner's.
- Page 64.--1st September, 1751. Christophel Francisco by (as above) to same, 60 acres. The Island in Shanandore called Great Island, opposite above. £2, sh. 3 == 2 Pistoles. (Note: immediately follows record above).
- Page 70.--29th August, 1751. Same to Gabriel Jones of Frederick, 244 acres, part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres conveyed by Stover to Chrl., opposite Gr. Island of Shanandore, joining tract formerly Jolm Bumgardner's land. (Note: immediately follows record above).
- Page 509.--25th June, 1769. Ludwick Francisco, eldest son and heir of Christopher Francisco, of Lancaster Borough, Pennsylvania, to Jacob Nicholas, 5 shillings, 390 acres, part of 3000 acres purchased by Christopher of Jacob Stover, and still is part of a greater tract of 5000 acres patented to Stover, oak near an old cabin, Hetrick's line; corner Pence's land; corner Archembright. Delivered: Jacob Nicholas, May, 1771.
- Page 458.--10th October, 1771. Lodowick Francisco and Elizabeth ( ), of Botetourt, to John Young, £124, 180 acres conveyed to Lodowick by Christophel Francisco, 2d July, 1752. on north side Shanandore River, on Cub Run. near Bruster's land. Teste: Hugh Johnston. Delivered: Wm. Young. March, 1773.
- Francisco, Ludewick - Will probate April, 1799.
- Names wife Elizabeth, and children: Jacob, George, Elizabeth, Ester, Christina, Margaret, Lodewick, Susanna, Mary and Sarah.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 55].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 21, 1746. - (135) Adam Miller and Ludwick Francisco appointed overseers from Alexr. Thompson's to Swift Run Gap and all tithables from Jacob Cober's to Saml. Scot's at upper end of Peaked Mountain clear it.
- Page 160.--18th May, 1749. Jacob Thomas' bond as administrator of Jacob Thomas, with sureties Jacob Coger (Kogar), Ludwick Franciscus.
- Page 435.--2d July. 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney), to Nicholas Trout, 145 acres. As above. (Part of Jacob Stover's 5,000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract). Corner Ludwick Francisco; Morrice Pound's line.
- Page 440.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney), to Morrice Pound, 360 acres. As above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5,000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract). John Stevenson's line; corner Ludwick Francisco.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 16, 1753. - Page (9) Ludwick Francisco, qualified Captain; Edward McDaniel, qualified Cornet; Jeremiah Sciler, qualified Captain of Foot; Luke Collins, qualified Ensign of Foot.
- Page 214.--3d April, 1751. Same (from Henry Downs, Sr.) to John Madison, gent., 330 acres, part of Jacob Stover's 800 acre patent, 13th December, 1738, which Stover failed to improve and Downs got patent for 5th June, 1747; on South and Shanadoe River. Corner Ludwick Francisco, Upper Red Banks; Lower Red Banks. Teste: John Lewis, Mathew Edmiston, Wm. Armstrong, James Porteus.
- Page 469.--15th August, 1751. Christophel Francisco, farmer, of Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania, to son, Stophel Francisco, of same place. Power attorney to sell tract of 3000 acres on Shanandore. Teste: Ludwick Franciscus, Maurice Pound, John Lightner.
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754 (Part 1). - Inquisition on body of Nicholas Grout (Trout), 17th July, 1753. Jurors do say that the said Nicholas Trout, in simplicity, without malice, playing with Peter Hull and seizing a gun in said Hull's hands and pulling its muzzle towards him she accidentally went off without any act or knowledge of the said Hull and discharged herself with a ball and two great shots into ye breast of said Trout, of which he died immediately on ye spot, and quit ye gun wherewith ye same was done was entirely in fault for not keeping her bounds, but going off without force or consent. In teste: Peter Scholl, Coroner; John Stevenson, Ledwick Francisco, John Mac Michel, James Bruster, Thomas Wats, Thomas Crawford, Patrick Milican, John Wilson, Jacob Harman, Niclas Noll, Hennery Daly, Jacob Nicholas.
- Page 358.--8th February, 1759. Vendue of John Wingord's (Vinegard) estate--To Henry Colar, Christopher Kishlinger, Christopher Wingord, Ludwick Francisco, Augustine Price, Tetrach Couch, Conrad Bloze, Frederick Ermantrout, Jacob Nicholas, Margt. Wilmouth, Brice Russell, Alvenus Byar, Jacob Parsinger, Charles Man, Nicholas Millberry, Jno. Craig, Danl. Price, Jno. Fuge, Jacob Man, Henry Perkey, Nicholas Null, Jas. Laird, Charles Ty (Fy?), Paslin Hover, Valentine Cough, Valentine Cook, Valentine Pence, Robt. Scott, Jacob Man, Stephen Conrad, Christian Tetrach, Valentine Butcher, Peter Herman, Wm. Beard, John Couch.
- Page 384.--9th December, 1759. John Colley's will--Daughters, Susan, Catharn, Mary; son, Christian, to mall 6,000 rails; wife, land he bought of Mr. Courts (Curts?); son, Peter; wife and her children, and Mary, Barbery, Margt., Elizabeth, Clorah, Peter. Executors, Ludwick Franciscus, Christopher Ermantrout. Teste: Thos. Poynter, Valentine Mitsker, Wm. Beard. Proved, 20th May, 1760, by the witnesses. Christopher Annentrout (the other refusing) qualified, with Augustine Price, Frederick Armentrout, Jno. Couts.
- Page 9.--16th October, 1760. Same (from Maurice Poutz (signed Pound), of Fairfax) to Henry Pirgy, £154, 360 acres, part of Jacob Steven's great tract, formerly conveyed to Christopher Francisco, the elder, and by Stophel Francisco, his attorney in fact, to Maurice Pound, 2d July, 1752, on north side Shenandore; John Stevenson's meadow; cor. Ludwick Francisco. Delivered: Jacob Pirkey, February, 1767.
- Page 23 - Thomas Lewis, 1,160 acres, Shenandoah River. Mentioned Jacob Hover, Henry Downs, Ludwrick Francisco, John Madison. April 27, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 9].
- Page 828.--8th February, 1765. Valentine Metcher (Matcher) to Ludwick Francisco and Charles Rush, mortgage, £25, 275 acres on a branch of North River of Shanandoe, purchased by Valentine from Peter Miller; corner David Logan's land. Delivered: Charles Rush, May, 1766.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 22, 1767. - (92) Jacob Persinger appointed surveyor of highway, vice Ludk. Francisco.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER, 1769 (B). - Lud Francisco vs. George Francisco.--Bond of George and John Francisco to Ludwick Francisco, dated 10th January, 1762.
- Page 170.--15th March, 1770. Jacob Trout and Barbara ( ) to George Shaver, £65, 145 acres, part of Jacob Stover's great tract formerly conveyed to Christopher Francisco, Sr., then to Nicholas Trout, 2d July, 1752, and inherited by Jacob as heir-at-law of Nicholas, on Shanando River, beginning on side of Cub Run; corner Ludwick Francisco; corner Morris Pond. Teste: John Peter Tresler, Nicholas ( ) Millbery, Volintine ( ) Trout Delivered: Geo. Shaver, 2d June, 1770.
- Page O2 - Augusteen Price, 170 acres. Adjoining Peter Miller, Jacob Persinger, Argenbright, Francisco. April 29, 1780. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 97].