Jeremiah Harrison, of Linville and Smiths Creek, Augusta County, VA
m. BEF 1701
- Daniel Harrison, of Smith and Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VA1701 - BEF 1770
- Thomas Harrison, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VAABT 1704 - 1785
- Jeremiah Harrison, of Linville and Smiths Creek, Augusta County, VA1707 - 1798
- Abigail HarrisonABT 1710 - 1780
- Samuel Harrison, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VAABT 1712 - ABT 1790
Facts and Events
Jeremiah Harrison was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's: (unless otherwise listed)
- Page 265.--21st November, 1755. John Harrison, yeoman, to Jeremiah Harrison, £38, 278 acres (one line supposed to interfere with Ro. Craven's land) on Crab's Creek, cor. John Hopes.
- Page 115.--31st Decemebr, 1760. Same (Alex. Hite and Rebecca, of Hampshire) to Jeremiah Harrison, £150, 400 acres on Linvel's Creek, part of 1,200 above, adjoining Wright and Ralstone above. Delivered: Jeremiah Harrison, 14th October, 1765.
- Land Grant Survey: Jeremiah Harrison, 400 acres, Fork of Linvils Creek. Mentioned Abraham Hite, 1,200 acres, Robert McCoy, Jost Hite, William Duff, and Robert Green. Adjoining David Ralston, John Wright. August 22, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
- Page 752.--19th November, 1764. Thomas Harrison and Sarah to Jeremiah Harrison, £__, 212 acres on Dry Fork of Smith's Creek.
- Page 40 - Jeremiah Harrison, 176 acres. Joining his otheer land on Smith Creek. Adjoining Turpines, Smith, Grubb. May 2, 1765. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 16].
- Page 151 - Jeremiah Harrison, 110 acres, Dry Fork of Smith's Creek. May 28, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 54].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 129.--17th February, 1761. Jeremiah (Jere) Harrison and Catherine to Samuel Semple, £22, 19 acres by patent, 10th April, 1759, at the great Spring on head of South Branch of Linvell's Creek; cor. Samuel Stewart's land. Teste: William Preston, George Skillern, William Anderson.
- Page 151.--18th February, 1761. Jeremiah (Jerre) Hamson (s/b Harrison) and Catherine ( )to Thomas Harrison, £20, 120 acres by patent, __ _____, 1760, on east draft of Cook's Creek, a branch of Shannandoe River, joining Robert Cravens.
- Page 158.--17th February, 1761. Jeremiah (Jere) Harrison and Catherine ( ) to Samuel Semple, £22, 270 acres patented, __ _____, 1760, on head waters of Linvel's Creek, whereon Samuel now dwells, joining Jost Hite, Samuel Stewart, Thomas Harrison.
- Page 217.--17th February, 1761. Jeremiah (Jere) Harrison and Catherine ( ) to John Stewart, £95, 272 acres on Cooke's Creek; cor. John Hope's. Teste: Robert Breckenridge, Geo. Skillem, William Preston.
- Page 304.--15th October. 1765. Jeremiah Harrison and Catherine to John Hinton, of County of Berks, Province Pennsylvania, £267.10, 400 acres on Linvel's Creek; corner John Wright, David Ralstone; corner conveyed by Abraham Hite to Jeremiah, 31st December, 1760, part of 1,200 acres conveyed to Abraham by McCoy et als., to whom it was originally granted. Delivered: John Hinton, August, 1768.
- Page 327.--18th August, 1772. Jeremiah Harrison and Katharine ( ) to Nehemiah and Josias (Josiah) Harrison.
Records of Jeremiah Harrison in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's: (unless otherwise listed)
- Page 78.--18th May, 1748. Isaiah Harrison qualifies administrator of Jos. Harrison, with sureties Jeremiah Harrison and Wm. White.
- Page 174.--15th May, 1749. Peter Dyer's appraisement by Robert Cravens, Thomas and Jeremiah Harrison.
- Page 208.--1st September, 1748. Vendue held at house of Samuel Stewart of goods of Joseph Harrison sold by Jeremiah Harrison. To Timothy Convey, Samuel Harrison, Samuel Monsey, Arthur Johnson, Abraham Smith, Tunis Wood, Samuel Hull, Edward McGinnis, Archibald Buchanan, Aaron Oliver, Ephraim Love, Solomon Turpin, Samuel Wilkey.
- Page 282.--26th February, 1750. Charles Gallagher's appraisement, by Jeremiah Harrison, Daniel Harrison, Robert Cravens. (Here James Porteus ceases to be scribe, vid. page 93, supra.)
- Page 102.--Ditto (Report of commission of privy examination) of Rebecca, wife of Abraham Hite, of Hampshire County, deed to Jeremiah Harrison, 31st December, 1760. Executed, 10th December, 1762.
- Page 108.--31st December, 1760. Alex. Hite and Rebecca, of Hampshire, to John Wright, £150, 550 acres on Linvel's Creek, part of 1200 acres patented to McCoy, Hite & Co. and by them conveyed to Abraham by deed recorded in Orange; cor. to portion of said tract belonging to Jeremiah Harrison. Delivered: John Johnston by order of Cap. Daniel Smith, August, 1766.
- Page 28 - Solomon Turpine, 192 acres Dry fork of Smiths Creek. Adjoining Daniel Smith, Jeremiah Harrison, January 31, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 11].
- Page 842.--10th December, 1764. Daniel ( ) Young to Samuel Beard, £12. 260 acres at Snodon's Spring. Teste: Thomas Harrison, Egeniah Virden. Jeremiah Harrison.
- Page 11.--23d May, 1765. Thomas ( ) Harrison, farmer, to John Sheltman, £50, 61 acres on head spring of Cook's Creek, part of 250 acres patented to Thomas. 1744, 15th March. Teste: Felix Sheltman, Jeremiah Harrison. Delivered: Richard Regan, by written order from John Sheltman, 25th July, 1788.
- Page 100 - Isaac Depoy, 50 acres, Dry Fork [of Smiths Creek]. Adjoining Turpens, Harrison, and his own land. February 2, 1790. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 130].
Information on Jeremiah Harrison
1707 - 1798
Repository ID Number: I253
RESIDENCE: Sussex Co. DE & Rockingham Co VA & Wash & Greene Cos. TN
BIRTH: 1707, Smithtown, Long Island, NY
CHRISTENING: 1740, Presby -John Craig, Rockingham VA [S320]
DEATH: 1798, Greene Co., TN [S320]
BURIAL: Greene Co., TN
RESOURCES: See: See Notes [S67] [S223] [S224] [S320]
Father: Isaiah HARRISSON
Mother: Abigail SMITH
Family 1 : Catherine ADAMS
MARRIAGE: 1744, Rockingham, Augusta Co., VA [S320]
+ Hesther (Esther) HARRISON
+ Lydia Donnell HARRISON
+ Josiah HARRISON
+ Nehemiah HARRISON
Jeremiah HARRISON Jr.
+ Elenor (Eleanor) HARRISON
+ Isaiah HARRISON
Will Written 1793; Probated 1798: Greene Co., TN - 1772 Deeded Land To Nehemiah &Josiah. Moved To Wash Co, VA
Settlers by the Long Grey Trail mentions only Lydia, Nehemiah, Josiah, and Jeremiah as certain children. SLGT states his wife's name was Catherine - maiden name unknown. While there may have been other children, he admits to only Benjamin who was killed by the Indians Oct 1754 during the French and Indian War and Hester who married Robert Cravens Jr.
Possible he had another wife before Catherine Adams. Tunis Hood Book states they were md abt 1744, Benjamin would have been 10 years old when he fought the Indians. Not likely he waited until age 37 to marry either.
With brothers John, Daniel, Thomas, Samuel, sons of Isaiah Harrison and Elizabeth and Abigail was the first to patent land in Rockingham, Co, VA. Orange VA record. Nov 13, 1740.
The children of Jeremiah (son of Jeremiah of VA) are listed in the order of his will. The will of Jeremiah Harrison who raised a large family of 17 known children, 14 of whom were specifically named in his will written 15 Sep 1793. (Lydia, Benjamin and Elizabeth had died by this time). His will was witnessed by George Green, Jr., William Wallace and Abel Richardson. It was noted that he signed his Will by his mark and must have either been blind or too feeble (aged 91 years) to write his name at the time his Will was written, since in other previous records, both in VA and TN, he signed his name to legal documents in his own handwriting. We feel pretty certain that the Tunis Hood reference is more accurate on this family than SLGT at this time. Many of this line have second names of Adams. Original records need to be obtained to verify.
"Harrison Ancestors and Relations"
Among new settlers in the Holston River headwater sections of Washington Co. VA in 1772 taking up land. By 1781 they are found taking up land in Greene Co. Territory, South of the Ohio (TN).
Will of 1793 filed in Greene Co. TN with Isaiah, son, Exec, but also Samuel _arored? Wit: George Green, William Wallace, Abel Richardson. Signed by Jeremiah Harrison. [S320] [S18] [S18] [S465] [S466]