Facts and Events
Jeremiah Early was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 168-71. 23-24 May 1739. Thomas Stanton Jr. of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County to Jeremiah Yearly of same. Lease and release; for £25 current money. 120 acres at the Great Mountains, part of 1,000 acres granted to Thomas Stanton, Jr. 28 sept. 1728... side of Stanton's River... (signed) Thos. Stanton Junr. Wit: Zach. Taylor, Robt. Terrell, Isaac Smith. 24 May 1739. Acknowledged by Thos. Stanton Junr. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 13].
- Pages 183-188 - Indenture 25 July 1745 between Isaac Smith of Parish of St. Thomas, Orange County, and Jeremiah Yearly of same .. for five shillings ... sells 100 acres in same Parish and County at the Great Mountain in Stanton River ... Witnesses: J. Pendleton and William Green. Recorded Orange County 26 July 1745 .. payment of £40 .. Receipt acknowledged. Margaret, wife of Isaac Smith, personally appeared .. relinquished her right of dower, 26 July 1745. [ORANGE COUNTY DEED BOOK 10, Dorman, pg. 45].
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 162.--5th April, 1755. Jeremiah Early, of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, Jr., £100, 200 acres, part of 400 acres patented to Ro. Martin, 20th September, 1745, on Jilgo run. Elk Run; Livery, etc. Teste: Francis Kirtley, Sr., Jeremiah Earley, Jr., Wm. and Thos. Kirtley, Jno. Earley and Thos. Staunton.
- Page 131.--13th March, 1764. Jeremiah ( ) Early and Elisabeth ( ), of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, £80, 240 acres on Elk Run. "Beginning confirmed unto Jeremiah Early a tract containing 40 acres between Elk Run and the Hawk's Bill; corner said Jeremiah Early; corner survey of Francis Kirtley's to the beginning, thence the several courses of Martin's patent, on the south side Elk Run. being the remainder of Martin's patent the said Francis Kirtley purchased before, &c." Teste: James Kirtley, John Earley, William ( ) Bohanon, William ( ) Smith.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (unless otherwise listed)
- Land Grant Survey: Page 3 - Francis Kirtley, 210 acres, Elk run. Adjoining Earley, Grubb. September 29, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 2].
- Page 561.--__ March, 1764. Francis Kirtley and Elisabeth to Jacob Peters, £40, 270 acres on head branches of Elk Run at the foot of the Blue Ridge; corner to Early's land.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
Help fund new features!