Facts and Events
||Jean Muirhead Forrest
||Jane Muirhead Forrest
||5 Oct 1879
||Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
||Edinburgh, Midlothian, ScotlandLady Yesters
||Glasgow, Lanarkshire, ScotlandMaryhill
||Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland
||17 Sep 1909
||Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotlanddeparture aboard S.S. Parisian
||27 Sep 1909
||Boston, Massachusettsarrival aboard S.S. Parisian
||28 Sep 1909
||Philadelphia, Pennsylvaniato John MacKie Whyte
||Philadelphia Ward 43, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
||Philadelphia Ward 35, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
||Bensalem, Bucks, Pennsylvania
||3 Oct 1930
||Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotlanddeparture from family visit
||12 Oct 1930
||New York City, New York, United Statesreturn to US from family visit
||20 Oct 1952
||24 Oct 1952
||Forest Hills Cemetery, Somerton, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jane Muirhead Forrest, daughter of Alexander Russel Forrest and Margaret Brown, was born on 5 October 1879 at at 39 South Bridge, Canongate, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. She was usually known as Jean. She appeared on the census of 1881 in the household of her parents at at 39 South Bridge Street, Edinburgh Lady Yesters, Edinburgh. She appeared on the census of 1891 in the household of her mother, Margaret Brown, at at 18 Garriochmill Road, Maryhill, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Jane was a draper's assistant in 1901. She appeared on the census of 1901 in the household of her mother, Margaret Brown, at at 5 Alberta Terrace, Glasgow. Between 1901 and 1909, Jane lived in Glasgow.
She and her future sister-in-law Janet B. Henderson sailed from Glasgow on 17 September 1909 aboard the SS. Parisian, arriving in Boston, Massachusetts, on 27 September 1909. They continued their journey to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by train. Jean was described as being 5 feet 1 inch tall, in good health with a sallow complexion, light brown hair, and dark brown eyes. Jean married John MacKie Whyte, son of David Whyte and Ann Rumgay, on 28 September 1909 in Philadelphia, by J. C. McFeeters. Janet Henderson married William Whyte, brother of John Whyte, on the same day. For a while the two couples lived together. John and Jean appeared on the census of 1910 at at 3739 Darien Street.
In 1914, Jean Whyte and sister-in-law Janet B. Whyte travelled by boat to Scotland with Jean's children Marguerite and Gwendolyn, and and Janet's son, David, to visit their families. During the boat trip, Gwen developed whooping cough. Their arrival in Glasgow was complicated by the fact that the authorities required Gwen to travel by ambulance.
John and Jean appeared on the census of 1920 at at 5719 Leonard Street, Philadelphia, with their children Marguerite, William and Gwendolyn. John and Jean appeared on the census of 1930 on William Street, Cornwells Heights, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with their children Marguerite, William, Gwendolyn and Robert. In 1942, the family lived at D. I. Cottage Street, Cornwells Heights. By 1952, they lived at at 1037 Cornwells Avenue, Cornwells Heights.
Jean Whyte died on 20 October 1952 at, Frankford Hospital, Philadelphia, at age 73 of hypertensive arteriosclerotic heart disease. She was buried on 24 October 1952 at Forest Hills Cemetery, Somerton, Philadelphia County.
Some of the children of John Whyte and Jane Forrest are still living.
1879 - birth, Edinburgh, Scotland
1881 - census, Edinburgh, Scotland (1881 U.K. Census, Canongate (#685/3), Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, Enumberation Book 12, page 8)
1891 - census, Glasgow, Scotland (1891 U.K. Census, Kelvin (#644/9), Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, Enumeration book 73, pg. 19)
1901 - census, Glasgow, Scotland (Margt. Forrest, 1901 U.K. Census, Govan Parish, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.)
1909 - immigration, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ("Boston Passenger Lists, 1891-1943", Manifest of S.S. Parisian, arrived in Boston on 27 Sep 1909, pg. 1 & 2, entry 7 & 8)
1910 - census, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1910 U.S. census, Philadelphia County, ED1091, sheet 11B, dwelling 474, family 372)
1920 - census, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1920 U.S. census, Philadelphia County, ED1235, sheet 3A, dwelling 51, family 54)
1930 - census, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1930 U.S. census, Pennsylvania, Bensalem Township, Bucks County, ED25, sheet 11A, line 32)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Jean Muirhead and Janet B. Henderson, in Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943. (Provo, UT, USA), Manifest of S.S. Parisian, pg. 1 & 2, entry 7, arriving 27 Sep 1909.
List or Manifest of Alien Passengers, S.S. Parisian sailing from Glasgow, 17th September, 1909. arriving at Port of Boston U.S.A., 27th Sept, 1909
Family Name, Given Name, Age, Sex, Married or Single, Occupation, Read, Write, Nationality, Race, Residence: Country, City or Town, Relative or Friend in Homeland, Relative's address, Final Destination: State, City or Town, Ticket to final destination?, Passage Paid by, Amount of Cash, Before in the US?, Relative or Friend in US, Relative's Address, Prison or Almshouse?, Polygamist?, Anarchist?, Labor in US?, Health, Deformed?, Height, Complexion, Hair, Eyes, Marks of Identification, Birth: Country, City or Town
[line] 7 Forrest, Jean Muirhead, 27, F, S, saleswoman, [yes], [yes], Scotland, Scotch, Scotland, Glasgow, Mother Mrs. Forrest, 1 Alberta Terrace Ruthven St Glasgow, Pa, Philadelphia, [-], Self, $50, No, Friend Mr. J.M. Whyte, 3739 North Darien St. Philadelphia, [No], [No], [No], [Good], [No], 5 ft 1 in, Sallow, Light Brown, Dark Brown, Nil, Scotland, Edinburgh
[line] 8 Henderson, Janet B, 25 [yr] 9 [mo], [F], [S], clerkess, [yes], [yes], [Scotland], [Scotch], [Scotland], Thornton, Father Wm. Henderson, Glen Ogle Cottage North End, Thornton, [Pa.], [Philadelphia], [yes], [Self], $60, [no], [Friend] Mr. Wm. Whyte, 1513 Fairmount Ave, Philadelphia, [No], [No], [No], [No], [Good], [No], 5 ft 3 in, Fair, Brown, Blue, Nil, Scotland, Thornton
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 United States. 1930 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T626), Census Place: Bensalem, Bucks, Pennsylvania; Roll: 2007; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 5; Image: 118.0.
Birth date: abt 1884; Residence date: 1930; Residence place: Bensalem, Bucks, Pennsylvania
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 United States. 1910 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T623), Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 43, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1411; Page: 14B; Enumeration District: 1091; Image: 1109.
Birth date: abt 1884; Birth place: Scotland; Residence date: 1910; Residence place: Philadelphia Ward 43, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Arrival date: 1909
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 United States. 1920 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T625), Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 35, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1637; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 1235; Image: 133.
Birth date: abt 1884; Birth place: Scotland; Residence date: 1920; Residence place: Philadelphia Ward 35, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Arrival date: 1909
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Scotland. 1891 Census.
Birth date: abt 1880; Birth place: Edinburgh, Edinburgh; Residence date: 1891; Residence place: Glasgow Maryhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Scotland. 1901 Census.
Birth date: abt 1881; Birth place: Edinburgh; Residence date: 1901; Residence place: Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Scotland. Census Office. Census returns of Scotland for 1881. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1959, 1985).
Birth date: abt 1880; Birth place: Edinr, Midlothian; Residence date: 1881; Residence place: Edinburgh Lady Yesters, Midlothian, Scotland
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 New York, New York, United States. Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, NY, 1897-1957. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T715), Year: 1930 ; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_4849.
Birth date: abt 1883; Birth place: Arrival date: 12 Oct 1930; Arrival place: New York, New York; Departure place: Glasgow, Scotland
- ↑ John MacKay Whyte, in Naturalization Papers on Ancestry.com.
from Declaration of Intention: dated 5 Apr 1917; John McKay Whyte; age 34; salesman; medium complexion; 5' 11" tall; 154 pounds; dark hair; blue eyes; born Kirkcaldy, Scotland on 12 May 1882; reside at 5718 Leonard St, Philadelphia; emigrated from Glasgow, Scotland; arrived New York on or about 10 Oct 1905
from Petition for Naturalization: dated 19 Nov 1920; John MacKay Whyte; residence: Cornwalls Ave, Cornvalls, Bucks Co., Pennsylvania; salesman; born 12 May 1882, Kirkcaldy, Scotland; departed 28 Sept 1905 from Glasgow, Scotland; arrived 10 Oct 1905 at New York, NY aboard Numidian; wife Jean born 5 Oct 1883 in Edinburgh, Scot.; children: Marguerite Oct. 7, 1910 Phila, Gwendolyn Nov. 4, 1912 Phila., William Sept. 30, 1915 Phila.
- ↑ Jane Muirhead Forrest entry, Register of Births, District of Canongate, Burgh of Edinburgh, 1879, General Register Office for Scotland, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 3YT, +44 131 314 4380, Edinburgh, SCT
- ↑ Jean Whyte, Pennsylvania death certificate 99148
- ↑ According to her daughter Marguerite, Jean was sensitive about being older than her husband. She told him that she was younger than she was and adjusted her age and birthdate to match.