Person:James Wood (64)

Find records: birth marriage death
Col. James Wood, Sr., Surveyor
  • HCol. James Wood, Sr., Surveyor1716 - 1759
  • WMary Rutherford1720 - 1798
m. 1738
  1. Elizabeth Wood1739 - BEF 1782
  2. Gov. James Wood1741 - 1813
  3. Mary Wood1742 - Abt 1768
  4. John Wood1743/44 -
  5. Robert Wood1747 -
Facts and Events
Name Col. James Wood, Sr., Surveyor
Unknown Col. James Wood, Sr., of Orange and Frederick County, VA
Gender Male
Birth? 1716 Winchester, Hampshire County, England
Marriage 1738 Prob. Frederick County, Virginiato Mary Rutherford
Death? 06 Nov 1759 Frederick County, Virginia

James Wood, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia

Contents

Welcome to
Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant
Register
Data
Maps
Places
Library
History
Index

……………………..The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky

__________________________

Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA

  • Pages 304-08. 25-26 April 1738. Jost Hite, Gent., of Orange County to James Wood, Gent., of same. Lease and release; for £10 current money. 100 acres... on the west side of Opeckon Run... part of 5,018 acres granted to Jost Hyte 3 Oct. 1734. (signed) Just Hite. Wit: Thos. Rutherford, Francis (F) Michael. 27 April 1738. Acknowledged by Just Hite, Gent. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 50].
  • Page 447. Surveys made in Orange County between June 1737 and June 1738:
March 23 - James Wood, 200 acres
J. Wood Survr. 23 June 1738. Ordered to be recorded. [Orange County Virginia Dee Book 2, Dorman, pg. 59].
  • Page 208. - Surveys made in Orange County since June 1738.
Nov. 28 - James Wood, 400 (acres)
Decr. 8 - James Wood", 400 (acres)
Mar. 6 - James Wood, 400 (acres)
Mar. 6 - James Wood, 400 (acres)
28 June 1739. James Wood presented the list of surveys. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 15].


Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA

Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:


  • Pages 149-54. 21-22 May 1742. Charles Robinson [Robison in lease] of Orange County, yeoman, to James Wood of same, Gent. Lease and release; for £40 current money. 400 acres... branch of the north branch of the South River of Sharrando (Shenandoah)... granted to Charles Robinson 22 Sept. 1739. (signed) Charles Robinson. Wit: Isaac Perkins, Wm. Glover, Just Hite. 27 May 1742. Proved by Just Hite and William Glover and affirmation of Isaac Perkins. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 8].


Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:


  • Patent of grant on Jackson's River, 29th October, 1743, to John Robinson, James Wood and Henry Robinson and John Lewis. [Chalkley's Vol. 2, George W. Morris vs. Morris' heirs, Judgements].
  • 'Patent by Gooch (Gov.), 12th January, 1746, to James Wood, for 370 acres on Smith's Creek. [Chalkley's Vol. 2, Dunkenson vs. Moore, Judgements, Sept. 1802].
  • Page 121.--15th February, 1750. William Russell and Wm. Green of Culpeper Co., to James Wood of Frederick. All interest of grantors in 2400 acres, patented to all three in 1750 on So. Fork of So. Br. of Potomac, Partition. Teste: Thomas Wood, John Sturman.


Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:


  • Pages 227-30. 27-28 May 1742. James Wood of Orange County, Gent., to Robt. Green of same, Gent. Lease and release; for £40 current money. 400 acres... on a branch of the North Branch of the South River of Sharando (Shenandoah)... granted by pattent to Charles Robinson 22 Sept. 1739 and by Robinson sold to James Wood 21-22 May 1742. (signed) James Wood. 28 May 1742. Acknowledged by James Wood Gent. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 12].


Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:


  • Page 456.--29th September, 1747. £30. James Wood, of Frederick, to Ephraim (Vance), of Augusta, 245 acres on Goose Creek patented to James Wood, 12th January, 1746, adjoining Francis Betty. Teste: James Patton, Jno. Buchanan, Charles Campbell. Proved, 19th November, 1747, by James Patton and Chas. Camell. (Note: Ephraim Vance (sometimes shown as "Vause") acquired this tract from James Wood, although his surname is not listed in Chalkley's).
  • Page 21.--4th June, 1748. James Wood, of Frederick, to Daniel Davison, Smith's Creek. Teste: Thos. How, south side of wagon road; patented to James Wood, 12th January, 1746. Teste: Jno. Hopes, Thos. Wood, Thos. Story, Morgan Bryan, Jno. Harrison, Jr. Delivered: Jno. Harrison, Jr., November, 1766.
  • Page 294.--17th August, 1749. James Wood, Gent of Frederick, to William Burk, 4000 acres. Patented to James, 22nd September, 1739. On South River, near peaked Mountain, Boon's Run. Delivered: Nicholas Null, 25th May, 1753. Teste: Isaac Perkins, John Neill, James Porteus, Valentine Sevier.
  • Page 298.--18th August, 1749. James Wood, above (Gent of Frederick), to James Trotter On Naked Creek, 268 acres. Michael Dickey's line. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: William Burk.
  • Page 302.--19th August, 1749. James Wood, above (Gent of Frederick), to Samuel McRoberts, 287 acres on Middle Branch of Catapo Creek. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: James Porteus, William Burk, Valentine Sevier.
  • Page 342.--29th September, 1749. James Wood, of Frederick, to Robert Shankland, of Lancaster, Penna. Muddy Creek. Corner Jacob Dye. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746, 300 acres. Teste: William Dobbin, James Carroll, Thomas Wood, Valentine Sevier, Edward Shanklin.
  • Page 123.--13th February, 1750. James Wood, Wm. Russell and Wm. Green to Peter Horse, 750 acres South Fork of So. Branch of Potomac; patented to grantors 3d October, 1750.
  • Page 131.--16th February, 1750. Same (From James Wood, Wm. Russell and Wm. Green) to Henry Lanciscus, 310 acres on North and South Forks of North Branch of South Branch of Potomac, part of 660 acres; patented to grantors. Teste: John Sturman, 23d October, 1750. Fairfax's line.
  • Page 831.--18th August, 1750. James Wood, Gent., of Frederick, to Thos. Shankland, North Mountain, 400 acres on Muddy Creek, patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: Thos. Storey, David Ne(e)lson, Jno. Hopes, Thos. Wood.
  • Page 523.--10th November, 1752. James Wood, of Frederick, to James Gillmer, 400 acres patented to Wood, 12th January, 1746. Buffalo Creek of North Fork of James. Teste: James Hemphill, Neal Cassaty.
  • Page 394.--7th February, 1753. James Wood, of Frederick; Wm. Russell and Wm. Green, of Culpeper, to John Davis, 330 acres on South Forks of South Branch Potomac, patented 1750. Teste: Roger Dyer and Samuel (X) Patton. Delivered to Charles Smith, 1773.
  • Page 486.--__ ____, 1753. James Wood, gent., of Frederick, to Thomas Shankland, 400 acres on Muddy Creek granted to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: John Harrison, Walter Patterson, Wm. Russell, Joseph Rutherford.
  • Page 171.--12th August, 1753. James Wood and Mary, of Frederick, to Ro. Rollstone, £64, 10, 350 acres on Muddy Creek patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: David Ralston, Arthur, army trader.
  • Page 262.--20th May, 1755. William Russell, Wm. Green, of Culpeper, and James Wood, of Frederick, to Henry Lanciscus, £70, 350 acres remaining part of 660 acres granted, patented to grantors, west side South Branch, Lord Fairfax's line at mouth of North Fork. Delivered: Valentine Power, November, 1771.
  • Page 294.--31st December, 1760. Mary Wood, of Frederick, to Joseph Rutherford, £100, 400 acres on a branch of South River of Shanando, called Cub Run, spur of Peaked Mountain, patented to James Wood, deceased, 12th January, 1746, and devised to Mary by his will in Frederick. Teste: Thomas Rutherford. Delivered: Reuben Rutherford, May, 1768. (Note: Joseph Rutherford was a brother of Mary, as was Thomas Rutherford who witnessed this deed).
  • Page 477.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper, to Michael Proops, £30, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. tract sold to Mark Swadley, 415 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June 1747. Teste: Mark ( ) Swately. Delivered as above.
  • Page 479.--29th May, 1761. Same (From Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper), to Mathew Patton, £75.4.2, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. in the bank of a lick; cor. to Frederick Kester (see this name as witness ubi supra, Easter, Hister), 327 acres, part of patent to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Delivered: Mathew Patton, March Court, 1764.
  • Page 481.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper), to Frederick Kester, £64, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, 256 acres, part of 1470 acres above. Delivered: A. J. above.
  • Page 485.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c., &c., and Anna as above, to Charles Willson, £19.13, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, on Kettle River, 131 acres, part of tract patented to Wood, Green and Russell, 23d October, 1750. Delivered: A. J. as above.
  • Page 487.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, &c. (as above), to Mark Swatley, £27.10, on South Fork, &c., as above, 426 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Delivered: A. J. as above
  • Page 490.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c., and Ann to Adam Rutherback, £48, on South Fork, &c., cor. tract laid off for Jeremiah Osburn, 240 acres; also another tract adjoining above, belonging to Mary Wood, containing 200 acres, together part of 2400 acres patented to Wood, Green and Russell, 23d October, 1750. Delivered: A. J. June, 1767.
  • Page 492.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c., and Ann to John Rouback, £50, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, between lands of Mary Wood and heir of Christian Tosher, deeased, 400 acres, part of 2,400 acres patented to Wood, Green and Russell, 23d October, 1750. Delivered: A. J. as above.
  • Page 437.--24th May, 1763. James Green and Moses Green, of Culpeper, and Mary Wood, of Frederick, to Jacob Conrod, £90, 457 acres on South Branch Potomac, part of 660 acres patented to Robert Green, who devised the same to grantors, 203 acres being sold to Joseph Skidmore and Gabriel Coyle. Teste: Mathew Patton, Postel ( ) Hover and Henry ( ) Pickles. Delivered: Jacob Conrad, January, 1765.
  • Page 440.--24th May, 1763. William Green, of Culpeper, to Jacob Rollman and Catherine Zorn, £__, 200 acres on South Fork of Potomac, part of 600 acres patented to James Wood and William Russell, deceased. and said William Green; corner Boston Hover. Teste: Boston Hover ( ). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
  • Page 443.--24th May, 1763. Same to Henry Rule, £10, 176 acres on Mill Creek, a branch of South Branch of Potomac, patented to Wm. Green, 25th March, 1762. Lord Fairfax's line, Timothy Holoway's line. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 445.--25th May, 1763. Same to Nicholas Semon, £11, 145 acres near head of South Fork of Potomac, patented to William, 5th March, 1762. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 448.--24th May, 1763. William Green, &c., to Jacob Rollman, £16, 200 acres on South Fork of Potomac, part of 600 acres patented to Wood, Russell and Green; corner Jacob Rollman and Catherine Zorn's land. Delivered: Henry Stone, March, 1764. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 450.--24th May, 1763. Same to Mathew Patton, £30, 407 acres on Mill Creek, a branch of South Branch of Potomac, part of 1650 acres patented to Green, 25th March, 1762. Delivered to Mathew Patton, March, 1764. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 453.--24th May, 1763. Same to John Wyse, £20, 283 acres on Mill Creek, a branch of South Branch of Potomac, part of 1650 acres. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 455.--24th May, 1763. Same to Martin Judy, £27.10, 367 acres as above. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 458.--24th May, 1763. Same to Nicholas Harpole, £15, 195 acres, on Mill Creek as above, &c. Delivered: Nicholas Harpole, October, 1766. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 460.--25th May, 1763. Same to Henry Pickle, £18, 190 acres on South Fork of Potomac near head. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, 1767. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 463.--25th May, 1763. Same to Boston Hugler, £30, 400 acres on Mill Creek, part of 1650 acres above. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, 1767. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 465.--24th May, 1763. Same to Boston Hover. £15, 200 acres part of 600 patented to Wood, Russell and Green. Delivered to Andrew Johnston. (Note: listed consecutively with record above).
  • Page 152.--22d May, 1769. Mary Wood, of Frederick, to Mathew Harrison, £__, marriage heretofore celebrated between Mathew and Mary's daughter, Mary, deceased, on North River of Shanandoah, part of a tract called the Great Plain, patented to James Wood, deceased, 12th January, 1746, 210 acres; also one tract adjoining Fairfax's line and the lands of Michael Nees, 270 acres, patented to Mary Wood, 27th June, 1764. Teste: Robt. Wood, William Campbell, Alexander White, Jno. Magill. Delivered: William McDowell, August, 1780.
  • Page 111.--22d May, 1769. Mary Wood, of Frederick, to Alexander White, Gent., of Frederick, and Elizabeth, his wife, deed gift, £__, marriage between Alexander and Elizabeth, daughter of Mary; on North River of Shanandoah, part of a tract called the Great Plains patented to James Wood, deceased, 12th January, 1746; corner on line between Mathew Harrison and said Alexander White according to the division of said plain made by Robert Rutherford, Daniel Holeman and Thomas Moore; line between His Majesty and Lord Fairfax, 165 acres. Teste: Robt. Wood, William Campbell, Jno. Magill, Jno. McGill, M. Harrison. Delivered: Alexander White, Gent., 28th May, 1770.
  • Page 365.--11th May, 1771. Mary Wood, executrix and devisee of James Wood, late of Frederick, to Andrew Trumbo, £240, on south fork of South Branch of Potowmac, 600 acres, part of 2400 acres patented to James Wood, William Russell and William Green, 23d October, 1750, and conveyed to Wood by partition. Delivered: Andrew Trumbo, 8th November, 1774.
  • Page 295.--15th May, 1772. Eleanor Green, widow and executrix of Robert Green, late of Culpeper; Robert Green, surviving executor of Robert Green; Mary Wood, widow and executrix of Col. James Wood, of Frederick, to Patrick Crawford. Teste: Gerald Hooe and Aaron Lane et als. Delivered to Patrick Crawford, 9th August, 1772.

Processioning List of 1747-48 in Augusta County

  • Daniel Harrison and Morgan Bryant report, viz: Processioned for Samuel Harrison, present Daniel Love, John Wright; processioned for Robert Cravens, present Daniel Love, John Wright; processioned for Daniel Harrison, present John Rutledge, Richard Wainscot; Daniel Harrison not processioned, there being a dispute; processioned for James Anderson, lines unknown; processioned for Col. James Wood; processioned for Daniel Harrison, present Archibald Hopkins; processioned for Daniel Harrison, present Jacob Dye, Richard Wincot; processioned for Cornelius Bryan, present Thos. and Benj. Bryan; processioned for Charles Robinson, present Adam Reder; processioned for Townsend Robinson, present Adam Reder; processioned for Thomas Moore, present Francis Hughes; processioned for John Miller, present Thos. Hughes, Thos. Moore; processioned for Thomas Moore, present Francis Hughes; processioned for Joseph Hite, present Samuel and David Stuart; processioned for Jacob Chrisman, present David Stuart, Sam'l Harrison; processioned for Robert McKay, present Thomas Bryan; processioned for Robert McKay, present Thomas Bryan; processioned for Jost Hite, present Thomas Bryan; processioned for Jost Hite, present Thomas Bryan; processioned for Robert McKay, present Thomas Bryan; processioned for Wm. Duff's estate, present John Miller; processioned for Robert Green, present John Miller; processioned for Robert Green, present John Miller; processioned for James Robeson, present John Miller; processioned for George Bowman, present Richard Winscot; processioned forJoseph Bryan, present Wm. Bryan; processioned for Morgan Bryan, present James Bryan; processioned for Samuel Wilkins, present Wm. and James Bryan and Samuel Wilkins.


Records of James Wood in Orange and Augusta County, VA

Because there were many records of James Wood in Orange and Augusta County, Virginia, they have been placed on the following page: Records of James Wood in Orange and Augusta County, Virginia


Information on James Wood

http://www.hrl.lib.state.va.us/Handley/Archives/Wood,%20James%20173.htm

Biographical/Historical: Col. James Wood Sr. (1707?-1759) was born, according to a grandson, in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735, he acquired a tract of land "on the branches of the Opequon" from which, in 1744, a large part of Winchester was formed in accordance with his stipulations to the Justices of Frederick County. He built the first "Glen Burnie" in 1738. He married Mary Rutherford in 1738 with whom he had children (1) Elizabeth (b. 1739), (2) James Jr. (b. 1741), (3) Mary (b. 1742), (4) John (b. 1743-44), and (5) Robert (b. 1747). He was a Colonel in the Frederick County militia and served with his friend Col. George Washington in the 1754 campaign against the French. He is buried in the family graveyard at Glen Burnie.

Cite As: James Wood Family Papers, 173 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.


Col. James Woods was the founder of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia
References
  1.   Cartmell, Thomas Kemp, 1838-1920. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: a history of Frederick County, Virginia. (Berryville, Virginia: Chesapeake Book, 1909, 1963).

    Col. James Wood, the founder married Mary the daughter of Captain Thomas Rutherford, the first Sheriff of Frederick; and as Col. Wood and Capt. Rutherford were living in Old Orange County in 1738, we assume the marriage was solemnized in that County. The following is copied from an old note-book of James Wood, now in
    possession of one of his descendants, daughter of Col. Glass:

    Children of James Wood Jr. and Mary Rutherford:

    :(I) Elizabeth, born Sept. 20, 1739
    :(2) James " Jany. 28, 1741
    :(3) Mary " Sept. 23, 1742
    :(4) John " Jany. 1, 1743ó44
    :(5) Robert, " July 27, 1747.