Facts and Events
James Turk was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 31.--16th August. 1758. Thomas Turk and Margaret to James Turk, £50, 320 acres on South River, Shanando; corner to land formerly Bloodworth's, crossing the Cranberry Swamps, Christian Clemance's land. Delivered: Robert Turk, 20th April, 1759.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 406.--16th August, 1768. James Turk and Mary to Thomas Turk, £40, 250 acres on South River of Shanandoe below Humble's land. Acknowledged and privy examination. Delivered: Thos. Turk, July, 1769.
- Page 293.--21st March, 1760. James ( ) Turk and Mary to James Kennerley, £130, 320 acres on South River of Shanando, conveyed to James by Thomas, 16th August, 1758, corner land formerly Bloodworth's. the Cranberry Swamps, Christian Clements' land.
Processioning List of 1755
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 147.--1755: Samuel Givens processioned as follows, viz: For Patt. Crawford, present; for Jno. Givens; for Samuel Givens; for Wm. Givens; for Jas. Givens; for Thos. Turk; for Jas. Turk; for Wm. Hinds, present David Moneely; for Samuel Hinds; for Christian Clemons, present Geo. Trout, Christian Clemons, Jr.; for George Trout; for Jno. Hinds; for Thos. Story; for Geo. Patterson; for James Carr; for Edward Rutledge; for John Carr; for Andrew Carr. John Finley and Alex. Crawford processioned as follows, viz: For James Sayers, for Alex. Gibson, for Andrew Foster, for Wm. Bell, for Thos. Armstrong, for Mathew Edmison, for Rob. Gilkison, for Thos. Gardner; James Bell's widow cannot show her lines; for John Trimble, for John Finley, for David Trimble, for Daniel McAnare, for Thos. Beard, for Alex. Crawford, for Jno. Allit, for James Kirk, for Robert Armstrong, for Robert McCitrick.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 396.--20th May, 1765. The within account is given upon oath by us of ye improvements and effects found on John Lewis' land.--Thomas Turk, James Turk.
- Vol. I - AUGUSTA COUNTY COURT RECORDS, ORDER BOOK No. XI - MARCH 18, 1768 - (522) Jurors: James Turk, James Callison, Saml. McClure, Saml. Lawrence, James Beats, Wm. McCutcheon, Francis Stuart, Wm. Moore, James McCain, Wm. Craddock, Wm. Christian, Jacob Lockhart, Nicholas Leahorn, Jr.
- Page 17.--24th September, 1772. Robert Turk's will--To son, Thomas, all estate, executor; to son, James, 1 English shilling. Teste: Charles Teeas, Thomas Turk, Elizabeth Gleave. Proved, 17th November, 1772, by Teas and Turk. Thomas Turk qualifies with John Madison, Jr., John Hind.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1772. - Turk vs. Turk.--James and Thomas Turk were brothers, April 3, 1772. Debt on account during 1764-65, to 1771. James Turk's wife was Mary, and they had a daughter, Elizabeth. Robert Turk deposes, 15th April, 1772. James Turk paid out #10 for Elizabeth Finley's education in Carolina. Thomas paid Henry Foster, husband of Elizabeth Finley, #40 out of his father's estate.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1773 (A). - Thomas Turk vs. James Turk.--Case writ, 22d August, 1772. Deed by Thomas Turk, 7th April, 1758, apprenticing his daughter, Elizabeth Turk, to James Turk. Elizabeth is aged 5 years and 2 months.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1773. - (155) James Turk--witness from Albemarle.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1797--July 19, James Coger and James Johnston, surety. James Coger and Eliz. Turk, daughter of Thomas Turk, Sr. (consent). Teste: James Turk.
6. James TURK (Robert) was born before 1739 in Great Britain. He died in 1803 in Albemarle County, Virginia.
James married Mary KINKEAD who was possibly the daughter of David and Winifred KINKEAD.
They had the following children:
23 F i. Elizabeth Finley TURK .
Elizabeth married Henry FOSTER before November 1772.
- ↑ Allen, Robert - 2329 Constitution Drive, San Jose CA 95124, e-mail: BobBecAlln@@aol.com.
Help fund new features!