Facts and Events
James Trotter was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
James Trotter's land (Borden Tract NE (2 Tracts) and Beverley Manor SW (3 Tracts) - Total of 5 Tracts: #1: 170 acres acquired from James Lusk and Eleanor in 1754; #2: 82 acres acquired from Thomas Berry and Esther in 1757; #3: 218 acres also acquired from Thomas Berry and Esther in 1757 (the location of this tract is approximate); #4: 234 & 232 acre tracts from David Campbell (known as "White David" Campbell) and his son John Campbell, comprising all of David Campbell's original 466-acre patent); and #5: 110-acre tract from David Campbell, located very close to the 466-acre tract previously mentioned; as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 298.--18th August, 1749. James Wood, above, to James Trotter On Naked Creek, 268 acres. Michael Dickey's line. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: William Burk. (Note: Naked Creek is a tributary of the North Branch of the Shenandoah River, not shown on the map above).
- Page 16.--21st March, 1754. James Lusk and Eleanor to James Trotter. Cor. Samuel McCutcheon, Beverley Manor line, conveyed by Borden to James 16th August, 1749. (#1 on Hildebrand Map, in Borden Tract on Beverley Manor line)
- Page 398.--16th March, 1757. Thomas Berry and Esther ( ) to James Trotter £60, two tracts adjoining each other and the line of Beverley Manor and Borden's tract: 1st, 82 acres in Beverley Manor, cor. James Loosk, patent line; cor. lines of Patrick Cook; cor. Borden's tract and Beverley Manor; 2d, 218 acres in James Loosk's line; Beverley Manor patent line and Borden's tract; cor. Samuel McCutchen; cor. James Shields, both conveyed to Thomas, 15th March, 1754, by Ro. Robinson and Isabella. Teste: Wm. Frame, James Bell, Jno. McPheetters. Delivered: Jno. Davis, 1758. (#2 and #3 on Hildebrand Map)
- Page 93.--20th August, 1765. Robert ( ) Brown, plantationer, and Mary ( ) to James Trotter, £250, 300 acres on Culton's Branch of North River of Shanandoe, south side Anderson's Branch. Teste: Charles ( ) Campbell, John ( ) Craney. (Note: Culton's Branch is a tributary of the North Branch of the Shenandoah River, not shown on the map above).
- Page 115.--19th March, 1771. David Campbell and Mary ( ) to James Trotter, £282.10, 234 acres, part of his old survey in Beverley Manor, conveyed to David by Beverley, 28th May, 1741, Pat. Cook's line; also 110 acres conveyed by same to David, 27th February, 1749, corner said Campbell. Teste: William Campbell, Wm. Lockhart. Delivered: Samuel Trotter. 21st October, 1772. (234 acres; part of #4 on Hildebrand Map & #5; the 110-acre tract located just to the east).
- Page 260.--25th May, 1771. John Campbell, of Botetourt, to James Trotter, £150, 232 acres, part of his father's survey in Beverley Manor. Teste: James Lockhart, James Hargrave, Sampson Archer. Delivered: Samuel Trotter, 21st October, 1772. (part of #4 on Hildebrand Map, this 232 acres combined with the 234 acres comprise all of David Campbell's original 466-acre tract).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 512.--19th March. 1755. James Trotter and Mary to Hugh Campbell £50, 268 acres on Naked Creek; Michael Dickey's line; conveyed to Trotter by James Wood, 18th August, 1749.
- Page 94.--20th August, 1765. James Trotter, plantationer, and Mary ( ) to Wm. Sprowle, £60, 170 acres in Borden's tract; corner Samuel McCutchen's land, line of Beverley Manor. Deed of feoffment. Delivered: Wm. Sprowl, 15th May, 1771.
- Page 95.--20th August, 1765. Same to same, £90, two tracts joining each other and Beverley Manor and Borden's tracts lines: A, 82 acres in Beverley Manor, adjoining above, corner Wm. Dean's land; B, 218 acres in Borden's tract, corner Samuel McCutchen's land; corner James Shields, deceased. Deed of feoffment.
- Page 115.--Tract patented to Robert Brown, 10th June, 1740, on Culton's Branch of North River; also tract patented to James Trotter, 6th April, 1769.
- Page 198.--20th March, 1770. James Trotter and Mary to Samuel Trotter, their son, £5,100 acres, part of 380 acres patented to Robert Brown, 10th June, 1740, and by him conveyed to said Trotter. Delivered: Samuel Trotter, 21st October, 1772.
- Page 17.--18th May, 1778. James Trotter and Mary to William Trotter. Delivered: William Trotter, 18th March, 1780. (Note: William Trotter was James Trotter's son).
- Page 398.--17th November, 1778. James Trotter and Mary to David Trotter, part of plantation on which James lives, with a tub mill thereon.
- Page 400.--Same (From James Trotter and Mary) to James Trotter, Jr. ( part of plantation on which James lives, with a tub mill thereon.)
Records of James Trotter in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 133.--10th February, 1761. William Sprowl and Jean to William Stewart. £30, 168 acres on Cowpasture River. Teste: William Marten, Hugh ( ) Young. James ( ) Trotter. Delivered, October, 1761.
- Page 322.--18th May, 1762. Nathaniel Evins to William Ward. £90, 279 acres, 249 part of Bordin's tract, and 30 acres part of an entry of King's land adjoining the same; cor. Thomas Wilson. Teste: George Wilson, Benj. Estill, Wm. Haddin. Delivered: James Trotter by your order, May, 1769.
- Page 90.--20th August, 1765. Robert Campbell and Margret ( ) to Charles Campbell, £30, 220 acres; corner Charles Campbell; corner John Erwin. Teste: James ( ) Trotter, John ( ) Craney, Jno. Trimble.
- Page 75.--23d August, 1766. William Brown and Isabella ( ) to James Henderson, £200. 400 acres on head of Culton's Branch of North River of Shannandor; corner James Trotter; also ten acres on same branch below same and between James Trotter and Hugh Campbell, part of Hugh Campbell's tract of 333 acres.
- Page 398.--17th August, 1768. William Sprowle and Jean to Alex. McElroy, £200, 320 acres on Moffet's Creek; cor. John Patterson, part of Borden's 92100. Acknowledged and privy examination. Teste: James Trotter, W. Ward, Jas. Ward. Delivered: McElroy, December, 1768.
- Page 121.--16th March, 1773. Oliver Alexander and Margaret ( ), James Alexander and Martha ( ) to Robert Thomson, corner Francis Beatty's other tract, the great road. Teste: James ( ) Trotter, Jacob ( ) Patton. Borden's 92100.
- Page 172.--17th September, 1779. Part of 380 acres patented to Robert Brown, 10th June, 1740, and by him conveyed to James Trotter, and thence to said Samuel Trotter. Teste: John Lowry, William Campble, William Henderson, John ( ) Meglamery.
- Page 414.--380 acres patented to Robert Brown, 10th June, 1740, and by him conveyed to James Trotter, by him to John Hinds, and by William Hinds, son and executor of John, to John Long; on a branch of North River of Shanandoah, formerly known by name of Culton's Branch, 250 acres patented to John Hind, 10th April, 1781.
Information on James Trotter
James Trotter [Parents] was born in 1717 in IRE. He died in 1807 in NR Paris, Bourbon, KY. James married Mary in 1744 in IRE.
(Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia - Abstracts of Wills of Augusta Co. - GenealogyLibrary.com)
July 20, 1784
(258) David Trotter recommended Captain, vice Capt. James Trotter, who is about to remove to Kentucky.
August 17, 1784
(263) David Trotter as Captain and John Wilson as Lieutenant, qualified.
May 15, 1787
(267) Joseph Trotter granted license for retailing goods.
May 17, 1787
(283) John McCutchen recommended Captain, vice David Trotter, who is removed - and John Ewing, Ensign.
1781-2, Pt. 1
October 31, 1782 - I do hereby certify that James Trotter Esq. was unanimously appointed to assist as Captain in my room by the company that was formerly commanded by myself John Cunningham, The Worshipful Court of Augusta.
Guardians' Bonds, Augusta Co.
19th March 1782 - James Trotter, guardian for Sarah Nelson, orphan of Thos. Nelson Jr.
Processioners appointed as follows, viz (1764)
. . .Andrew Hall, James Buchanan (son of Wm.),Thos. Berry, JAMES TROTTER from North River to Beverley's line between the Great Road to the Court House, by Cap. Bowyers and the North Mountain.
(337) Hemp certificates - John Trotter - November 17, 1767
1789 - 4 Sep John McConn married Mary Trotter
Insolvents and Delinquents 1785; A. Mustoe List: Sam'l Trotter, Ky; Isaac Trotter; and William Trotter.
Page 298 - 18th August 1749. James Wood, above, to James Trotter on Naked Creek, 268 acres. Michael Dickey's line. Patented to James, 12th January 1746 Teste: Wm. Burk.
Page 16 - 21st March 1754 James Lusk and Eleanor to James Trotter. Cor. Samuel McCutcheon, Beverley Manor Line, conveyed by Borden to James 16th August 1749
Page 512 - 19th March 1755. James Trotter and Mary to Hugh Campbell, 50 pds., 268 acres on Naked Creek, Michael Dickey's line; conveyed to Trotter by James Wood, 18th August 1749.
Page 398 - 16th march 1757 Thomas Berry and Esther to James Trotter 60 pds., two tracts adjoining each other and the line of Beverley Manor and Borden's tract: 1st, 82 acres in Beverley Manor, cor. James Loosk, patent line; cor lines of Patrick Cook; cor Borden's tract and Beverley Manor; 2d, 218acres in James Loosk's line; Beverley Manor patent line and Borden's tract.
Page 94 - 20th August 1765 James Trotter, plantationer, and Mary to William Sprowle 60 pds., 170 acres in Borden's Tract; corner Samuel McCutchen's land, line of Beverley Manor. deed of feoffment, Del. Wm. Sprowle 15th May 1771
Page 198 - 20th March 1770 James Trotter and Mary to Samuel Trotter, their son, 5 pds., 100 acres, part of 380 acres patented to Robert Brown, 10th June 1740 and by him conveyed to said Trotter. delivered: Samuel Trotter 21st October 1772.
Page 115 - 19th March 1771 David Campbell and Mary to James Trotter 282.10 pds., 234 acres, part of his old survey in Beverley Manor, conveyed to David by Beverley 28th May 1741 Patent Cook's line; also 110 acres conveyed by same to David 27th February 1749 corner said Campbell. Teste: William Campbell, William Lockhart. Del. Sam'l Trotter.
Page 17 - 18th May 1772 James Trotter and Mary to William Trotter. Del. William Trotter 18th March 1780.
Mary was born in 1715 in IRE. She died in 1811 in NR Paris, Bourbon, KY. Mary married James Trotter in 1744 in IRE.
They had the following children:
M i Joseph Trotter
M ii James Trotter
M iii David Trotter was born about 1755 in VA. He died in 1802 in M
M iv William Trotter
M v George Trotter
M vi Samuel Trotter
M vii John Trotter
F viii Mary Trotter
Help fund new features!