Facts and Events
||James Newton Sparrell
||19 Feb 1825
||Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
||New Bedford, Bristol, Massachusetts, United StatesHousewright
||4 Aug 1846
||Worcester, Worcester, Massachusetts, United Statesto Emiline S Gleason
||5 Aug 1846
||Worcester MAto Emiline S Gleason
||Worcester, Worcester, Massachusetts, United StatesPattern Maker
||Marshfield, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United StatesMachinist
||Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United StatesCarpenter
||Scituate MAAge: 35
||7 MAY 1861
||Hanover, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United StatesMustered Ist Lt, Co G, 18 MVM
||16 JAN 1862
||Hall's Hill, VAResigned; Illness-
||Worcester, Worcester, Massachusetts, United StatesShoe Finisher
||Worcester, Worcester, Massachusetts, United StatesCause: Recurring fever contracted in VA during Civil War
||Norwell Center Cemetery, Norwell, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
- Historical Data Systems. American Civil War Database. (Copyright 1997 - 2009 - Historical Data Systems, Inc. P.O. Box 35 Duxbury, MA 02331).
James N. Sparrell (Union)
Biographical data and notes:
- Pre-enlistment occupation: Machinist
- Residing in South Scituate, MA at time of enlistment
- 35 years of age at time of enlistment
- Enlisted on May 7 1861 as First Lieutenant
- Commissioned into G Company, 18th Infantry (Massachusetts) on Aug 24 1861
- Resigned from 18th Infantry (Massachusetts) on Jan 16 1862 at Hall's Hill, VA
- Promoted to First Lieutenant (Full, Vol) on May 7 1861
Sources for the above information:
- Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the Civil War, (Adjutant General)
- The Eighteenth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.
Sparrell James N. 35 Married Machinist South Scituate MA 1st Lieutenant 8/24/1861 Resigned commission 1/16/1862
- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?u=1&num=29&seq=57&view=image&size=100&id=wu.89067489062&q1=sparrell, in Merritt, Joseph Foster. A narrative history of South Scituate - Norwell, Massachusetts. (Frank S. Alger and Joseph F. Merritt, 1938 (Rockland, Mass. : Rockland Standard Pub.)), 29.
"Sparrell, James N., 18th Regt."
- Baptisms, in Scituate, MA. Scituate, Massachusetts: Second church records. (Boston, Massachusetts: W. J. Litchfield, 1909), 105.
Mrs. Desire Sparrell (adult) daughter of Mr. James Barrell and wife of James N. Sparrell
James Newton }Children of James N. Sparrell
Help fund new features!