James Simpson, of the Cowpasture
Facts and Events
||James Simpson, of the Cowpasture
James Simpson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- James Simpson acquired land on SE side Cowpasture - 300 acres - 1761. [Source: "A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia", By Oren F. Morton].
- Land Survey - James Simpson and William McMunay, 160 acres, South Mountain. October 6, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 12].
- Land Survey - James Simpson, 70 acres. Adjoining John Noble, William McBride. December 28, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 39].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 69.--15th November, 1762. James Simpson and Jane ( ) to John Handey, £150, 300 acres on Cowpasture. Delivered: Jno. Handley, 19th November, 1770.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1746/7. - (168) Road ordered from lower end of cow-pasture to Carter's Mill, and Adam Dickenson, James Scot, Wm. Galespy, James Simpson, Wm. Dowerty, Andrew Maldrough, Hugh Coffey, John Donerly, Alexr. McKay, John Mitchell, John Moore, Ralph Laverty, John Cockmill, James Huy, Wm. Hugh, James Stewart, James McKay worked it.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 28, 1751. - (209) James and John Scott, Wm. McMurry, James Simpson, James Frame, Robert Montgomerie, James Montgomerie, Hugh McDonall and Wm. Galespy, to lay off a road from the lower cow-pasture to Burden's tract.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1755 (A). - Simpson vs. Campbell.--March 12, 1756. To the Worshipful bench of Augusta, we humbly request that you will take particular notice of Margaret Campbell (Cambal), for it is plainly known to all the inhabitants of the lower end of the Cowpasture that she is a common liar and troublesome to all them that she is in neighborhood with, and furthermore it is known that she will swear anything that comes into her mind, which the subscribers by report will make appear.--Hugh Morton, James Montgomery, Wm. Mortain, Wm. Memory, Edward Edwards, Agnes Memory, Wm. Gillespy, Mary Gillespy, Patrick Carrigan, James Beard, James Scot, Samuel McMorry, Margaret Cohiren, James Arbuckle, Thomas Simson, Robt. Gillespy, Margaret Arbuckle, Anne Montgomery, Thomas Fitzpatrick. This was an attachment vs. James Campbell by James Simpson, 17th March, 1756 (five days after above petition.)
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1762. - (359) Michael Williams, aged 17, and George Williams, aged 15 years, to be bound to Augustine Price. Thomas Peerie's will produced and order to summon witnesses. Commission for private examination of James Simpson's wife, Jane, in deed to John Handley. John Hunter, with two others, added to tithables.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 18, 1767. - (345) James Simpson appointed surveyor of highway from Cow Pasture to Gilmer's Gap, and the workers from Wm. Dougherty's down to Captain Christian's.