Facts and Events
Notices of relevance, believed to be this James, who appears to open a business of his own about 1829:
1835, Nov. 3: James Richardson, birth of a daughter in Hamilton on Oct. 26 (Susanna Cox R.)
1836, Oct 18. Died in this Town, on Thursday last, Susanna Cox, infant daughter of Mr. James Richardson, aged 12 months.
1838, Jan 23: Birth, in this Town, on Friday morning last, Mrs. James Richardson, of a Son (Archibald Moffat R.).
1838, Aug 7: Archibald Moffat Richardson, aged 7 months, son of James Richardson, died in Hamilton on July 31.
1838, Oct 23: Reported Outwards from Hamilton: in the Brigantine Queen Victoria, Mrs. James Richardson and Daughter (Mrs, 30, Miss 10, assumed to be Mary and Catherine)
1840, Jun 16: James Richardson, birth of a daughter on June 12 in Hamilton (?Martha Atchison R?)
1841, Nov 9: Birth, in this Town, on the 31st ult., Mrs. James Richardson, of a Son. (Thomas Mabon R.)
1843, Jan 24: [Died], on Sunday evening last, Thos. Mabon, only Son of Mr. James Richardson of this Town, aged 15 months.
1847, Feb 23 : Married, in Pembroke Parish, on Thursday last, by the Revd. James Morrison, Captain Hezekiah Frith to Catherine Hadden Moffat, eldest daughter of Mr. James Richardson (Hezekiah appears to be the grandson of the pirate)
1854, Dec. 12: Miss Sarah B. Richardson, 3rd daughter of James Richardson of Hamilton, married Edwin B. Darrell, formerly of Warwick, on Oct. 24 at Inagua.
1862, July 29: Martha Aitchison Richardson, youngest daughter of James Richardson, married Samuel Walter Gault of Tennessee, on July 24 in Hamilton, by Rev. F. W. Moore (later married Joseph C KEENEY, dtr Naomi Lee married William Meade RICHARDSON, who, with his brothers, were photographers in Bermuda in the 1880s - this is now known to be John's link to the family of James & Mary (MOFFATT) RICHARDSON)
1863, June 23: William Richardson, aged 19 years, 8 months, 4th son of James and Mary Richardson, died of consumption on June 17, at his parents' Reid Street home.
1872, Sept. 10: Mary Richardson, in her 70th year, wife of James Richardson, a native of Yorkshire, died on Sept. 4 in Hamilton, leaving 3 daughters, 9 grandchildren (anyone know who the third surviving daughter is? I'd suspect there's a Margaret in the mix somewhere given James mother was a Margaret)
1879, Aug. 19: James Richardson, aged 76 years, 8 months, died in Hamilton on Aug. 18.
A headstone of James and Mary's children definitively links most of the above to this James RICHARDSON of Bermuda, as opposed to at least two other contemporary James RICHARDSONs (Susanna Cox, Archibald Moffatt, Thomas Mabon, William, and adds an earlier James who died in Leeds, England in 1827 - there does appear to be a bit of a chisellers mistake in the date/age for Archibald on the headstone, repeating Thomas' date/age!)
James is reported as being the first to grow Easter Lillies in Bermuda
"To James Richardson is due the honor of laying the foundation of a new industry among the community whose trousers he cut and coats he trimmed. James Richardson of Hamilton, Bermuda, was a tailor, but his thoughts were not confined to his thimble and goods. He loved nature as well as his art and was an authority on..." (rest of sentence not available online)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 IGI: Online searches, Subject: Online search: assorted surnames, Birth 22 Dec 1802 James s/o James RICHARDSON & Margaret MABON, batch C118012, Morebattle, Roxburghshire, extracted Jul 2008.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Various authors. Www searches misc. correspondence: RICHARDSON, Record Type: Assorted RICHARDSON Web searches/Correspondence, L, Dth 18 Aug 1879 James RICHARDSON, aged 77, at Hamilton, Bermuda, of Roxburghshire, online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qcchatea/new_dom.htm, extracted Aug 2012.
- ↑ Various authors. Www searches misc. correspondence: RICHARDSON, Record Type: Assorted RICHARDSON Web searches/Correspondence, L, Dth Feb 1850 Catherine Hadden Moffatt d/o James & Mary RICHARDSON, w/o Hezekiah FRITH, Inagua, Bahamas, aged 22 yrs 9 mths, from H/stone children of James & Mary RICHARDSON, online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/richardsonj.jpg, extracted Aug 2012.
- ↑ Various authors. Www searches misc. correspondence: RICHARDSON, Record Type: Assorted RICHARDSON Web searches/Correspondence, L, Dth Sep 1833 Mary d/o James & Mary RICHRDSON, at sea, aged 9 mths, from H/stone children of James & Mary RICHARDSON, online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/richardsonj.jpg, extracted Aug 2012.
- ↑ USA Immigration Records ex Ancestry, "Brig Someret" (sic) 1 Jun 1837 Thomas (32) & Jane (sic - 35) RICHARDSON, both tailors, dest. USA & Bermuda resp., from New York, Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1820-1850, extracted Aug 2012.
- John RICHARDSON (59474). EM RICHARDSON, Adam ex John R (DNA), Recipient: Lorna Henderson, Address: USA, Author E-mail:, Two James RICHARDSONs in Bermuda, from Bermuda newspapers, rcvd Aug 2012.
- Lorna Henderson. Lorna's Family History Musings, Location: Waikanae, New Zealand, Aug 2012.
- Various authors. Www searches misc. correspondence: RICHARDSON, Record Type: Assorted RICHARDSON Web searches/Correspondence, L, Marr. 18 Feb 1847 Catherine Hadden Moffatt (1828 - 12 Feb 1850) d/o James RICHARDSON & Mary MOFFATT; Hezekiah (Sep 1819 - 17 Feb 1864) s/o FRITH Hezekiah FRITH Jr & Mary MATSON, Pembroke, Bermuda, from http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/frithgen.htm, extracted Aug 2012.
- Various authors. Www searches misc. correspondence: RICHARDSON, Record Type: Assorted RICHARDSON Web searches/Correspondence, L, H/stone Children of James & Mary RICHARDSON, assumed to be Hamilton, Bermuda, online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/richardsonj.jpg extracted Aug 2012.
- John RICHARDSON (59474). EM RICHARDSON, Adam ex John R (DNA), Recipient: Lorna Henderson, Address: USA, Author E-mail:, Tailors and lillies, James RICHARDSON of Bermuda, from "The Summary", Volumes 34-35, on google books at http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Xw5QAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA21&dq=%22James+Richardson%22&redir_esc=y, rcvd Aug 2012.
- Various authors. Www searches misc. correspondence: RICHARDSON, Record Type: Assorted RICHARDSON Web searches/Correspondence, L, COLE, George Watson, Papers 1851-1939, www.americanantiquarian.org/Findingaids/george_watson_cole.pdf, searched Aug 2012.
- ↑ Obit: 18 Sep 1879 "Died - In Hamilton, Bermuda, on the 18th ult., James Richardson, a native of Roxburghshire, Scotland, aged 77 years. Note-Some 45 years ago, Mr. Richardson and a brother of his left Scotland for America.
The ship on its passage was drifted upon the reefs of Bermuda and became a wreck. The two brothers, tailors by trade, became residents of the town of Hamilton, and carried on business together for several years, when they dissolved partnership - the one emigrating to the Western States, the other remaining in Bermuda, where until the time of his death he has still continued to reside. The deceased was a brother to the late John Richardson, who for many years resided in the 4th Concession of North Georgetown; and also brother to Mrs Samuel Moffat who died last March, mother of William Moffat of Jamestown, near Durham, and of Samuel Moffat of Beech Ridge."
- ↑ Date derived from Mary's death "at sea" in 1831, although her supposedly elder sister Catherine was shown as born in Bermuda abt 1828 - unless her age at death was incorrect.
- ↑ This 1837 voyage of the Brig Someret is assumed to be a trip from Bermuda to New York by siblings Thomas and James.
The voyage details show two tailors, James (actually indexed as Jane, but shown as a tailor), aged 35, and Thomas aged 32.
"Jane" gives a final destination of Bermuda, Thomas, USA. Both gave place of origin as Great Britain
Help fund new features!