Facts and Events
||to Mary (add)
James Phillips was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- James Phillips received a patent for "171 acres on a branch of Shannando" on 29 May 1760, as listed in the disposition below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 140.—18th November, 1766. James Phillips and Mary to John Phillips. £250, 171 acres on a branch of Shannando. patented to James. 29th May, 1760. Teste: T. Rav. John Davis, James Hogsead. Delivered: April Court, 1778.
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 442.--Processioned by Wm. Bell, George Berry, Wm. McPheeters, James Syers, 1768-7, viz: For John McCleerey, for Thos. Kirkpatrick, for James Peerey, for Saml. McNab, for Mathew Wilson, for Alex. McKinney. for David Stewart, for Robert McKittrick, for John Kirk, for Wm. Crawford, for Rob. Wallace, for Rob. Philips, for James Bell, Sr., for Charles Cummins, for John Jamison, for Mathias Gabort, for William Dean, for William Lockhart, for Patrick Lockhart, for Wm. McClintock, for John Campbell, for John Philips, for James Philips, for David Trimble, for Sampson Sawyers, for James Sawyers, for John Stewart, for Elizabeth Wallace, for Wm. Hodge, for Maj. Jno. Brown, for Thos. Brown, for James Bell, Jr.
Records of James Phillips in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - LIST OF MUSTERS IN AUGUSTA COUNTY - Capt. John Willson's Lists: John Wilson, Captain; Sam Calehison, Nathan Lusk, John Shields, John Greer, John Patterson, George Davison. John Hunter, Wm. Hunter, James Hunter, John Rusk, James Clark, Wm. Vance, Rob Croket, John Trumble, Wm. King, Sa. Walace, John Spear, Thomas Peery, Alex. McConnel, Rob. Young, James Young, Jacob Lockard, Patt. Cook, James Lockard, William McCutcheon, James McCutcheon, Rob. McCutcheon, Alex. Crocket, Wm. Camble, Nathl. Davis, James Philip, John Barclay, James Lusk, James Trumble, Benj. Walker, Wm. Leadgerwood, Morris Offral, Rob Davies, John Brown, Wm. McClantok, Wm. Johnson, John Young, Hugh Young, Thos. Kirkpatrick, David Camble, John McCutcheon.
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (73) John Brown to be overseer of same road from King's to C. H. with following tithables: Hugh Spears, John McKenney, Thomas Peary, John Bartley, Patrick Martin, James Phillips, James Bell, George Vance, James Montgomery, Thomas Kill Patrick, John Spears, Saml. Wallace, Wm. McClintock, John Davis.
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (74) Cap. Daniel McAnaire to be overseer of above road with following tithables: Samuel Wallis, Alexr. Crawford, John Elliott, David Trimble, John Hogshead, Alexr. Gardner, Sampson Archer, Alexr. Gibson, Robt. Davis, Thomas Gardner, Walter Trimble, John Sixby, David Stuart, Ro. Renix, Francis Gardner, John Trimble, Thomas Beard, Ro. Gilkason, John Archer, James Bell, James Mills, James Dyer, Charles Clendening, Wm. Hogshead, Ro. Ralstone, John Moffet, Saml. Lusk, James Phillips, Danl. Brealey, Mathew Edmonston, James Trimble, John Ferguson, Wm. Anderson, John Spears, John McKenney, Wm. Brady, Ro. Armstrong, James Miller.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1747-8; page 76, James Phillips, (August), Entering motion for your son not to pay levy though given in, being under 16;
- Page 119.--16th February, 1748. James Loosk qualifies as above, with sureties James Phillips.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1748. - (64) Robert Phillips, son of James; stricken from list of tithables, being under 16.
- Vol. 2 - NOVEMBER 21, 1752. - (410) Maurice O'Frield, John Trimble, Wm. McFeeters, Wm. Martain, James Young, Jacob Lockart, James Vance, Patrick Martin, Wm. McClintock, Rob. Young, Thos. Piery, John Campbell, James Peary, Robert Davis, James Philips, John Spear, John McMurry, Alexr. McMurry, David Stuard, Hugh Young, John Jameson, Rob. McClellon and John Brown--to work the road under Saml. Wallace from top of North Mountain to this Co. Ho.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1753. - (414) John Buchanan, James Clark, Jacob Lockhart, Thomas Kirkpatrick, John Berry, John Bartley, Wm. Martin, Josias Richards, William McFeeters, John Jameson, James Young, Hugh Young, Robert Young, William McClintock, Wm. Ledgerwood, John Trimble, Maurice O'Frield, Samuel Wallace, Robert Davis, Robert McClenon, James Moody, James Philips, Wm. Akry, Cornelius Donaho, George Peary, Adam Thompson, Thomas Peary, John Campbell, James Peary, Wm. McNab, Robert Scot, Thomas Reed, Abraham Masha, Thomas Dunn, Francis Dunn, Major Scot, John Bigham, John Black, Samuel Downing, Alexr. McFeeters, Andrew Cowan, James McCorkle, John Vance, James Gilmore and Patrick Martin--to keep road formerly laid off from James Young's Mill to said Buchanan's Mill.
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754, Pt. 1. - Petitioners ask that the following be assigned to work the road from James Young's mill to John Buchanan's mill: John Buchanan, James Clark's tithables, Jacob Lockhart's tithables, Thomas Kirkpatrick's tithables, John Bertly, George Bertly, William Martin, Josias Richards, William McFetters' tithables, John Jameson, James Young, Hugh Young, Robert Young's tithables, William McClintog, William Ledgerwood, John Trimble, Moses A'Friel's tithables, Samuel Wallis, Robert Davis, Robert McClenan's tithables, James Moody's tithables, James Philips, William Eckrey, Corneles Donahow, Alexander Ritchey, to be overseer; Adam Thomson, to be overseer; George Peevy, Adam Thomson's tithables, Thomas Peevy, William McNabe, Robert Scoat, Thomas Reed, Abraham Masha, Francis Dune, Mager Scoat, John Bingham's tithables, John Black's tithables, Samuel Downey, Alexander McFetters, Andrew Cowen, James McCorkell, John Vance, James Gilmor, Alexander Ritchie's tithables, Patrick Martin's tithables.
- Vol. 2 - Page 161.-(27th November, 1755: Vestry met. Processioners designated as follows) --William Lockbridge and Saml. Huston, in Captain John Moore's Company. John Risk and John Shields, in Captain James Lockhart's Company. Samuel Doak and John Tate, in Captain James Mitchell's Company. James Phillips and William Martin, in Captain Patrick Martin's Company.
- Page 250.--18th May, 1758. John McFeeters' bond (with James Philips, Robt. Campbell) as guardian (appointed) to Alex. Crockett, orphan of Robt. Crockett.
- Vol. 2 - Page 205.--21st July, 1758: Rebecca Watt bound to James Phillips.
- Page 246.--18th March. 1760. Same (From Andrew Foster and Margaret M.) to William Hodge, £10, 35 acres, part of 300 above. James Bell's line. Teste: James Phillips, James Bell. Delivered: James Bell as above.
- Page 168.--24th November, 1760. John McCinney's will--Plantationer. To wife Mary; to son, Alexander; to daughter, Margaret Stuart; to son John; to daughters, Ann, Sarah, Mary. Executors, wife, Mary and son, John. Neighbor, James Phillips to make division of estate. Teste. Jno. Phillips, Jas. Phillips, Chas. Phillips. Proved, August, 1762, by James and John Phillips. Executors qualified with Jno. Trimble. Mary's mark, John McCinney's (McKinney) mark
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1778. - (346) James Phillips, an aged and infirm witness. (Note: did James Phillips live until 1778?)
Help fund new features!