m. 10 Jan 1870
m. 19 Nov 1906
Facts and Events
1880 Union Twp, Lawrence Co, PA Federal Census, 24 June 1880, Roll: T9_1145; Family History Film: 1255145; Page: 315.1000; Enumeration District: 227; Image: 0060, h/h282/284 Pattison, William S 45 PA-Scot-Scot carpenter Margaret R 45 OH-OH-OH David C 8 PA-PA-OH James R 6 PA-PA-OH Stevenson, Jane 43 sis-in-law OH-OH-OH widow
Spanish-American War Vet; machinist James R. A. Pattison, Private Co B 16th Reg PA Infantry
The Sixteenth Regiment, National Guards of Pennsylvania, was composed of eight companies, located in the counties of Erie, MeKean, Venango, Elk, Warren and Crawford. On order of the Governor, it went to Mt. Gretna, Pa., arriving April 28, 1898, and was there reviewed by him on May 3. The officers and men were immediately given an opportunity to enlist, and every man present responded affirmatively. May 10, the regiment was mustered into the United States service as the Sixteenth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and on the 15th of that month proceeded to Chickamauga; arriving there on the 17th, it was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Division, First Army Corps. July 2,1898, Lieutenant-Colonel Richards was ordered to Pennsylvania to recruit four additional companies to form the Third Battalion of the regiment; they were recruited as follows: Company B at New Castle, Company G at Kittaning, Company L at Punxsutawney, and Company M at Jeannette. The Third Battalion did not reach the regiment until October 11, 1898. July 21, 1898, it went forward to Chickamauga, and on the 25th orders were received to report at the railroad station at Rossville, eight miles distant, on the following morning. They there boarded a train for Newport News, Virginia, where they arrived on the morning of the 27th. They received orders from Brigadier General Grant to embark on the steamship Rio Grande, but orders were later received delaying the movement. In the meantime, General Grant embarked, leaving orders that the detachment of the Sixteenth Pennsylvania was to embark the day following. Instead of going to Puerto Rico, as contemplated, they were ordered to Camp Meade, Pennsylvania, to which point they moved, August 18, 1898. On September 13 they left Camp Meade for New York City, and in the evening of the following day embarked on the steamship Obdaur for Ponce, where they arrived at 8 o’clock A. M. on the 22d. They were detained on board until Sunday, September 25, then went into camp about six miles from Ponce. October 10 they received orders to return with their regiment to the United States. The Third Battalion joined the Sixteenth Regiment at Playa de Ponce, on October 11, and that day sailed for home, arriving in New York City October 17. They were mustered out of service December 28, 1898. A roster of Company B is here given: Capt. Joseph V. Cunningham, First Lieutenant William Hamilton Dunlap, Second Lieutenant James W. Cook, First Sergeant Charles N. Clark, Quartermaster Sergeant Edward M. Bryant, Sergeants Charles H. Young, James R. A. Pattison, Frank G. Dunlap and Clarence E. Brown; Corporals Mahion S. Clark, Frank H. Strohecker, William Rogers, Frank S. Nessle, Jr., Lee C. Fishe r, Frank J. Andrews, Rufus W. Bell, Frank A. Ziun, Charles L. Daniels, Patrick J. Muldoon, Roy F. Sippy and Alfred Williams; Musicians Fred S. Emery and John. A. Seifert; artificer, John W. Allen; wagoner, Daniel F. McCall; clerk, Charles Clark; Privates Truman D. Allen, John C. Ault, Charles H. Baldwin, Charles E. Bartl ey, Curtis V. Brown, Edward H. Burke, Garve M. Burke, Charles E. Christy, James G. Crum, Frederick W. Davidson, William F. Dickson, Thomas Doyle, Homer C. Drake, Charles H. Durant, David J. Eichinger, Edward W. Eiler, George E. Ford, Max A. Geiger, John F. Genkinger, George T. Gilmore, Archie . M. Graham, John Greer, Lee Guildoo, Albert .B. Haid, John M. Hannon, William E. Harman, Oscar J. Hall, Howard C. Harper, John C. Hennon, James H. Hoover, Louis M. Holt, Matthew J. Howard, Joseph G. Hunter, Lewis R. Jay, Frederick H. Kay, James M. Kincaid, Albert F. Leathers, Andrew B. Mallory, Erasmus H. Martin, David A. McBride, Harry E. McCaskey, John S. McCay, Ebe nezer B. McDonough, John J. McDowell, Matthew J. McMahon, Roy W. Mershimex, Edwin L. Mitchell, Clinton K. Myeis, George W. Patterson, Frank W. Reed, Henry J. Scott, Theudius C. Scott, George H. Shallenberger, John B. Shelar, Matthew H. Shelly, Charles• A. Snyder, Henry Spahn, Thomas A. Spence, Harvey F. Steinbrink, Bert E. Stevenson, Lawrence W.Stevenson, Herbert C. Stockman, John A. Stimkard, Elmer J. Suber, Robert W. Taggart, James B. Taylor, Harry L. Telm osse, Percy Tetlow, William C. Thomps on, George E. Tobey, Frederick G. Urms on, John E. Urmson, James W. Vance, Jos eph A. VanGorder, Charles R. Walker, John S. Walters, Lewis C. Warnock, Willi am E. White, Harry E. Williams, Robert L. Wylie, Charles Henry Young, Floyd W. Young and Charles E. Zerner.
The Fifteenth Regiment of Pennsylvania National Guards was composed of eight companies from the counties of Erie, Crawford, Clarion, Butler and Mercer, and scattered through these companies were many from New Castle. The regiment reported
(203) at Mt. Gretna, Pa., April 28, 1898, was reviewed by the Governor on May 3, and immediately after given an opportunity to volunteer. The various companies were recruited to seventy-five enlisted. men, and on May 10 Companies A, B, C, G and K were mustered into United States service, followed on the 11th by Companies D, E and F, and Regimental Headquarters. It was mustered in as the Fifteenth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, with a total strength of thirty-six officers and 605 enlisted men. It remained at Mt. Gretna until June 11, when it proceeded to stations at Sheridan Point, Va., and Fort Washingt on, Md. Regimental Headquarters and Companies A, B, D, F, G and K arrived at Sheridan Point on June 12, and the same day Companies C and E arrived at Fort Washington. June 23, Companies A and G were transferred to Fort Washington. Company E was assigned to the care, prese rvatiOn and drill of Emplacement C, havi ng two 10-inch guns on disappearing carr iages to handle; Company C was assigned to the 10-inch Barbette gun and the water battery, one 15-inch M. L. S. B. smooth bore. The men of the entire command cont inued regular infantry, company and bat,t alion drills. September 9, 1898, the regim ent went to Camp George G. Meade, in Pennsylvania, and arrived in Middletown on the 10th, being there assigned to. the First Brigade, Second Division, Second Army Corps. September 17, the regiment was ordered on provost duty at the camp, and was relieved on October 2. It particip ated in the Peace Jubilee Celebration in Philadelphia on October 27, 1898, and was finally mustered out on January 31, 1899, at Athens, Ga.
US WWI Draft Registration, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1907346; Draft Board: 1, James Renwick Alvin Pattison, 1601 Huron Ave, New Castle, PA, b 19 Oct 1873 - 44Y, machinist for Shenango in New Castle, next of kin, Mrs. Maud R. Pattison, medium height and build
1920 New Castle Ward 5, Lawrence, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1585; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 102; Image: 1083, 1621 Huron Ave, h/h 36/39 Pattison, James 46 PA-PA-OH machinist in tin mill Maude 39 PA-OH-Scot Margaret 9 PA-PA-PA 36/40 Howard, George 72 OH-Maryland-Maryland retired Ninnie 48 PA-OH-Scot dau single
1930 New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania; Roll: 2060; Page: 26B; Enumeration District: 33; Image: 787.0, 1603 Huron Ave, h/h 107/111 Pattison, James R $6500 56 mar@33Y Pa-Scot-Scot machinist in tin mill Maud 49 mar@26Y PA-OH-Scot Margaret M dau 20 PA-PA-PA Howard Ninnie 59 sis-in-law housekeeper PA-OH-Scot George A 82 bro-in-law mar @22Y OH-OH-Scot
New Castle News, New Castle, Lawrence Co, PA, Saturday, 18 January 1958, p2
James Renwick Pattison, 84, formerly of New Castle recently of Lakeland, FL died in Morrell Hospital, Lakeland yesterday at 6 PM after a lingering illness.
His wife, the former Maude Howard, preceeded him in death.
Born 19 Oct 1873 in New Castle, he was the son of the late William S and Margaret Stevenson Pattison. A retied machinist of the old New Castle Tin Mill he lived in Florida for the past 14 years.
Mr. Pattison was a member of the Bible Presbyterian Church of Lakeland, an elder and former member of the Third UP Church of New Castle, a Spanish American War veteran, the Sons of Veterans, and an Odd Fellow.
He is survived by one daughter Mrs. Joseph Powers, Wilmington, Delaware; a niece Mrs. G. Wilfred Thoms, New Castle, and two brothers, Russell Pattison of Niles, OH, and Ralph Pattison of Clarion, PA.
The body will be brought to the John R. Hodge Funeral Home tuesday where friends may call from 2-4 and 7-9 PM.
Services will be held from the mortuary Wednesday at 2 PM. Rev. Clyde N. Ferguson will officiate. Burial will follow in Graceland Cemetery.
NCN, 20 Jan 1958 p2 Funeral announcement for JRA Pattison