Facts and Events
Will of James Neely
- Will of James Neely, written 3 October 1829
- In the name of God I James Neely of the County of Monongalia and State of Virginia being in the decline of life and desire to settle my worldly concerns being of perfect mind thanks be to God calling into mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to ___ to make and ordain this my last will and testament that is to say first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God that give it and my body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in decent form at the descretion of my Executors I shall receive it again by the Might power of God and as touching such worldly estate as it has pleased God to bless me with in this life I ___ devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form first,
- I give and bequeath to Joseph Neely my son fifty acres of land where he now lives adjoining Boaz Borrows and I give to my son John Neely fifty acres between my son Joseph and the grant line.
- And I do give to my three daughters Ann Elizabeth and Mary Neely forty acres of land adjoining Joseph and John Neely so as to include the house and orchard and I do give to my two sons James and Samuel the remainder of my land to be equally divided between them and I do give to my daughter Sarah fifty cents and I do give to my daughter ___ fifty cents and I do give to my daughter Rachel fifty cents and I also give to my three above mentioned daughters Ann Elizabeth and Mary in addition to the land all the Cow Cattle and Sheep and all the beads and beading and all the household furniture and I do constitute make and ordain my son Samuel Executors of this my last will and testament and I do hereby ratify and confirm this to be my last will and testament and revoke all others in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty third day of October one thousand Eight hundred and twenty nine.
- Signed Sealed and delivered by me the said James Neely this last will and testament in the presence of Each other have hereunto subscribed.
- (signed) James Neely (Seal)
- John Lough, Joseph Lough, Andrew Lough.
- ___ a court held for Monongalia County August term 1834, the foregoing last will and testament of James Neely dec'd was produced in court duly proven by the oath of John Lough and Joseph Lough, witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
- Attest: Thos. P. Ray
- [Source: Monongalia County, West Virginia Wills, Vol. 1, pg. 83]
Records in Botetourt County, VA
- 8 August 1782 - Botetourt County, VA Deed: Jno. Neeley & Susanna his wife & Jas. Neeley & Catherin his wife, grantors, to Wm. McClenechan. Several tracts (87 acres), Evans Mill Place, Roan Oak River [acreage not shown], in the second tract or in any but the first tract of 87 acres. [Source: Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769-1800, pg. 569]. (Note: John and James Neeley were brothers).
- Ancestry.com Public Member Trees.