Facts and Events
James Mills was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of James Mills in Augusta County, VA
Records in Orange County, Virginia Records:
- 31 March 1742 - James Mills witnessed deed from Butler Spotswood, Eliott Benger and Robt. Rose, Clerk, executors of the last will and testament of Alexander Spotswood to John Bourn. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 11].
- 31 March 1742 - James Mills witnessed deed from Butler Spotswood, Eliott Benger and Robt. Rose, Clerk, executors of the last will and testament of Alexander Spotswood to Alexander Bourn. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 11-12].
- 23-24 June 1742 - James Mills witnessed deed from John Pickett of St. Margarets Parish, Caroline County, to Isaac Smith of St. Thomas's Parish, Orange County. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 13].
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (72) Report as to road from top North Mountain to Wm. King's and thence to C. H.--Robert Davis appointed overseer. The following tithables to work it: George Kill Patrick, James Young, James Young, James Mills, Robert McClellan, Andrew Pickens, Jacob Lockart, John Trishell, Hugh Young, Samuel Kinkead, William Mills, William McFeeters, James Clark, Henry Cristwell.
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (74) Cap. Daniel McAnaire to be overseer of above road with following tithables: Samuel Wallis, Alexr. Crawford, John Elliott, David Trimble, John Hogshead, Alexr. Gardner, Sampson Archer, Alexr. Gibson, Robt. Davis, Thomas Gardner, Walter Trimble, John Sixby, David Stuart, Ro. Renix, Francis Gardner, John Trimble, Thomas Beard, Ro. Gilkason, John Archer, James Bell, James Mills, James Dyer, Charles Clendening, Wm. Hogshead, Ro. Ralstone, John Moffet, Saml. Lusk, James Phillips, Danl. Brealey, Mathew Edmonston, James Trimble, John Ferguson, Wm. Anderson, John Spears, John McKenney, Wm. Brady, Ro. Armstrong, James Miller.
- Page 515.--29th February, 1747-8. £77. John Holmes to William Wright, 260 acres in Beverley Manor, part of a large tract conveyed to James Mills and sold to Robert Wilson and John Holmes, patent line of Beverley Manor; Anthony Black's land; Wm. Robinson's line; John Wilson's line. Teste: Wm. Henderson, John Black, John Cunningham. Proved by all and dower released by Jane, 19th May, 1748. (Note: Based upon other records, it appears that James Mills was mentioned in this record in error. It was Joseph Mills that patented the tract in Beverley Manor, not James. The relationship between James Mills and Joseph Mills is undetermined).
- Vol. 2 - Delinquents List of 1748: James Mills, not found.
- Page 833.--13th June, 1750. Wm. Beverley to Thos. Lewis and John Madison, power attorney to sell land in Beverley Manor, except the Mill tract, also lots in Staunton, except lots 2, 10, 11. Attorneys required to account with Jno. Robinson, Richard Tunstall and Jas Mills.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - James Mills, Hanover, (May, 1751).
- Vol. 1 - MAY 24, 1762. - (245) John Robinson, Richard Tunstall and James Mills, executors of Wm. Beverley, vs. William and Andrew Hamilton.