Facts and Events
James McNutt was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
James McNutt's land (Borden Tract NE, 185 acres, 1753) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Note that land of Alexander McNutt (Borden Tract SW, 301 acres, 1753), brother of James, is adjoining tract of James McNutt to the northwest.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 171.--12th February, 1753. Same (from Borden, etc.) to James McNutt, son of Alexander McNutt, deceased, adjoining above (land of his brother Alexander McNutt), 185 acres.
- Page 514.--21st November, 1763. James Kennedy to James McNutt, £20, 118 acres in Borden's grant on Kennedy's Mill Creek; William Fulton's line, Wm. Beard's and John Loggan's corner. Delivered: Alex. McNutt, 10th September, 1765.
Estate Records of James McNutt in Augusta County, VA
- Page 139.--17th April, 1812. Agreement between widow Margaret McNutt, sons and daughters, James, Jane, Robert, Samuel McNutt (part of the children), heirs of James McNutt, deceased, who died 6th September, 1811, having been insane some years, for assignment of dower and division of estate. There were also children, Alex. McNutt and Wm. Beard, and wife.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 276.--1760: Processioned in Capt. Moore's Company by John Stephson, Nathaniel Evins: For Nathaniel Evins, for Wm. McCreerey, for Thos. Willson, for John Stevenson, for John McClung, for Wm. McClung, for Alex. Moore, for Adam Reed, for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Paris, for Thomas Bard, for John Cunningham, for Mathew Huston, for John Mountgumery, for Wm. Moore, for Wm. Lockridge, for Thomas Boyd, for John Boyd, for Thomas Hill, for Robert Ware (Wire), for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Beard, for Wm. Wardlaw, for Andrew Steel, for James Steel, for Joseph Kennedy, for John Lowry, for Samuel Huston, for James Eakins, for John Hanly, for John Logan, for Alex. Logan, for Alex. McNutt, for James McNutt, for John Rosman, for Andrew Dunkin, for John Wardlaw, for Wm. McCanless, for James Cowdan, for John Moore.
Records of James McNutt in Augusta County, VA
- Page 216--.5th September, 1757. John Wilson's will, shoemaker--To wife Agness; to daughter Sarah; to brother Robert Wilson and brother James Wilson's son John; to brother James' son William; to James McKnut, 1/2 of shoemaker's tools. Teste: John Christian, John Brownlee, Alex. Brownlee. Proved, 18th November, 1757, by John Christian and Jno. Brownlee. Agness renounces the provisions, and Agness qualifies, with Robt. McClenachan, Richard Woods.
- Page 242.--21st June, 1763 . Thomas Berry and Esther to James Berry, son of Thomas, £25, 168 acres purchased by Thomas from Arthur Kenedy on Capt. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek, in Burden's tract; corner Robert Gray; McNutt's new line; corner Francis Beaty. Teste: Alexander McNutt, Jas. McNutt, Thomas Berry, Jr. Delivered: James Berry, April, 1765.
- Page 320.--19th September, 1769. Patrick Martin's will: To wife, Jane: to sons, George and Andrew; to sons, Joseph and James; to daughter, Miry Patterson. Executors, wife, Jane, and George Martin. Teste: George Jameson, James McNutt, Alex. Montgomery. Proved, 21st August, 1770, by Jameson. George Martin qualifies executor, with Joseph Berry, James Buchanan, Alex. McNutt.