Facts and Events
James McNutt was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Survey in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 769.--22d May, 1750. Borden to David Carr (Kerr) 368 acres, survey of James McNutt, late deceased, Kennedy's Mill Creek; corner John Kerr. Delivered: Francis Beaty, 29th May, 1753. (Apparently the land surveyed for James McNutt was re-granted to David Kerr due to James McNutt's death).
Estate Records of James McNutt in Augusta County, VA
- Page 180.--22d August, 1749. Thomas Beard's bond as administrator of James McNutt, with sureties Thos. Beard, James Buchanan, David Stuart.
- Page 226.--28th October, 1749. James McNutt's appraisement by James Trimble, Joseph Coulton, John Roseman. Notes of Philip Chittam, Jas. Davis and Arthur Miliken.
- Page 515.--23d May, 1751. James McNutt's orphans. Settlement by Thos. Beard, administrator. Paid Mr. Burden for 185 acres bought by my wife (Thos. Beard's?) now, but before marriage. 17__ to Mr. Burden quit rents on 85 acres for 10 years. 1747 to Mr. Downs for quit rents. 1744 to Mr. Burden for quit rents, 300 acres. December 20th, 1748, paid David Hays rents debt due before marriage. Paid Wm. Nutt debt. 8th May, 1749, paid Wm. Hunter for work. 4th February, 1747, paid John Huston, debt. 9th December, 1748, paid John Roseman. debt. 10th May, 1748, paid Saml. Wilson, for bringing some linen from Penna. Paid to Widow Sheals, a debt. Paid to Robt. Alexander, for schooling James and Robert McNutt. Paid to James Dobbins, for schooling Alex. McNutt. Paid one new Bible, for Alex. McNutt. Paid one new Testament, for James McNutt. Paid one new spelling book, for the children,
- Vol. 1, undated (abt. 1753) - James McNutt's estate, by Thomas Beard, 15th August, 1753: Paid for land bought by Beard's wife before marriage, 1751. Paid quitrents for land for 10 years, 1751. Paid quitrents, 1744. Paid to Mr. David Hays debt before marriage. Paid to Robert Alexander for schooling James and Robert McNutt, one year, 1748. Paid to James Dobbins, same, for Alexander McNutt, 1748.
- Page 516.--15th August, 1753. John Brownlee's bond as guardian (appointed) to Alexander McNutt, orphan of James McNutt, with sureties Samuel Doake and Arthur Hamilton.