Facts and Events
Land Records in Augusta County
- Deed Book No. 10-Page 293.--10th February, 1762. James McKay (McAkay) and Mary, of Frederick, to Thomas Bryan, £80, 300 acres on Linvell's Creek, pa (part) 1200 acres patented to McKay, Green and Hite, 26th March, 1739, and by them conveyed to Robert McKay, 19th June, 1746, and by Robert devised to James by will in Augusta; John Bryan's line. Teste: Samuel Money, Robert Semples, Francis ( ) McBroid. Delivered: Thomas Bryan, July,176
Records of James McKay in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1746/7. - (168) Road ordered from Caleb Jones's mill down to County line, James McKay, Moses McKay, Henry Harding, John Hill, Philip Crine, Thos. Land, Wm. Hursh, Thos. Burk, Wm. Harrel, Thos. Grubbs, Wm. Hawkins, Zachery McKay, Joshua Job, James McNeal, Adam Cunningham, Jacob Sterrell, Charles Coxe, Charles Burk, Ephrm. Leech, Caleb Job.
- Page 22.--21st November, 1750. Richard Harrald, planter, to Wm. Harrald, planter 180 acres, Shanandore River; corner John Harrald; corner Moses Harrald. Teste. John Fuich (Funk ?) Jr., Henry Nelson (Netherton), James Macay (McKay).
- Page 25.-(21st November, 1750) - Richard Harrald to John Harrald, planter, 131 acres, Shanandoe River, corner Richard Harrald, Jr. Teste: Henry Netherton, James McKay. See above.
- Page 247.--24th May, 1751. Reuben Paget and Elizabeth to Jacob Harril, 100 acres, on a branch of Flint Run; patented by Fairfax, 19th Septembre, 1749; corner John Calfee. Teste: John Sellers, Wm. Hurst, James McKay.
- Page 348.-28th May, 1751. Abraham Job's appraisement, by Henry Netherton, James McCoy, Frederick Frailey.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 27, 1751. - (179) Wm. Harrold appd. overseer of road, vice Wm. Hurst and James McKay, and tithables on west side So. River to Fred'k Cy. and on Goody's Run--keep it in order.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-52 - Petition recites that last fall the Court sent James McKay and Richard Harrill to view a road. They accordingly viewed a road to strike out of McKay's road at Reuben Paget's and so to keep down the River on the east side to the County line. Prays an order to appoint Philip Crum, William Hurst or William Harrill to be surveyor, and order all tithables on Flint Run and its branches and Gowny's run and its branches from Walter Cunningham's down to the County line: Jacob Harrill, Peter Emlie, Anthony Horton, Reuben Paget, Richard Harrill, Sr., William Owens, John Kelly, Howard Gibson, James McCoy, Philip Crame, Joseph Hokens, William Hurst, Thomas Lann, Richard Harrill, William Harrill, Thomas Monmon, William Colbee, Thomas Harrill, John Harrill, John Jones, Joseph Ballinger, James Land, Moses Harrill.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752. - Petition of inhabitants of the North side of the South River of Shenandore for a road. About 3 years ago it was ordered to open a road from Caleb Job's plantation down the South side of the said North River to James McCoy's plantation, which road is not suitable, and prepare a location on North side crossing the river at a place called the Brush Bottom Ford and so along the river by Henry Speer's plantation. Prayer for survey: Mason Combs, William Hurst, Zachariah Mackay, Stephen Phillips, John Hankins, Charles Thompson, Thomas Parent, Adam Cunningham, John Sellers, Wm. Overall, Terence Corcal, Alexander Gunnel, Benjamin Guden, Josiah Parent, Edmon Bollin, Thomas Grubs, Richard Shirley, Thomas Hues, Wm. Dickerson, Thomas McNeal, Ephraim Leeth, William Parent.
Information on James McKay
From "Cartmill's Clearing House", http://home.att.net/~earliene/famtrees.htm
- James McKay, b. 1710 Monmouth New Jersey, d. Aug 1797 Shenandoah Va.
- md 1749 Va.
- Mary Chester, b. 1720 Va.
- 1. James McKay b. 1750 Shenandoah Co. Va., d. 1787 Shenandoah Co. Va., md 1771 to Mary Cheek.
- 2. Robert McKay b. 12 Feb 1760 Frederick co. Va., d. 28 Sep 1835 Jefferson Co. Indiana, md 9 Jul 1782 to Lydia Leith.
- 3. Edith McKay b. 1761, d. abt 1850 Shelby Co. Indiana, md to Jonathon McCarty.
- 4. Susanna McKay b. 1762 Frederick Co. Va., md John curl.
- 5. Hannah McKay b. 1764 Frederick Co. Va., md Isaac McCarty.
- 6. Mary McKay b. 1768 Frederick Co. Va., md William Nelson
- 7. Nancy McKay b. 1770 Frederick Co. Va., md Ebenezer Leith.
- 8. Lydia McKay b. 1772 Frederick Co. Va., md James Leith.
JAMES MCKAY: Robert McKay, the father of James, was among the first settlers of the Shenandoah Valley. His son, James, appears on two land deeds consummated by Richard Harrel, Sr. He also appears on the land transfer between Jacob Harrel and Ruben Paget. In 1746 James was on the tithable list for Augusta County. In 1751 he was appointed by the court to view a road in Augusta County along with Richard Harrel. James McKay was born about 1711 in Monmouth County, New Jersey. He married Mary Chester about 1749 in what is listed as Shenandoah County, Virginia (although it was Augusta County). He died in 1797 at Beckfort Parish, Shenandoah County, Virginia. His wife, Mary Chester was born in 1724 at Blue Ridge, Virginia. She was the daughter of Thomas Chester and Sarah Cartmell. the McKays died and are buried in Beckfort Parish, Shendandoah County, Virginia.
Help fund new features!