Facts and Events
James McCampbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
James McCampbell's land (Borden Tract SMiddle, 280 acres acquired from William and Isabella Buchanan, 1768 and 396 acres acquired from Thomas Paxton and Rebecca in 1769) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: the size and location of the tract acquired from Thomas and Rebecca Paxton is estimated (probably not exact) based upon the records listed in Chalkley's. The 396 acres acquired by James McCampbell and the 378 acres acquired by James McDowell, Samuel McDowell and James Cowden equal exactly the 774 acres acquired by Thomas Paxton earlier in 1769).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 486.--11th May, 1768. William Buchanan and Isbelah to James McCampbell, £50, 280 acres; corner James Miles on North Branch of James River, opposite to an island. Delivered: James McCampbell, November, 1773.
- Page 64.--17th October, 1769. Same (From Thomas Paxton and Rebecca) to James Campbell, £80, 396 acres, part of Borden's 92,100; corner Alexander Telford. Delivered: James Campbell, November Court, 1773. Teste: Alexander McCroskry. (Note: this land was actually sold to James McCampbell, not James Campbell. This is proven by the following record that preceded, which clearly shows the property adjoining belonged to Alexander Telford (who married James McCampbell's younger sister Sarah), as shown in both records):
- Page 59.--17th October, 1769. Thomas Paxton and Rebekah ( ) to James McDowell, Samuel McDowell and James Cowdon, £52, 378 acres, part of Borden's 92,100; Alexander Telford's line; corner James McCampbell. Teste: Isaac Anderson, James McCampbell, Alexander Sinclair. James Robinson. Delivered: Samuel McDowell, 17th August, 1772.
Records of James McCampbell in Augusta County, VA
(Note: some of the later records may be pertaining to James McCampbell's son James)
- Page 14.--24th November, 1760. Stophel White's appraisement, by David Telford, James McCampbell, Andrew McCampbell.
- Page 172.--25th January, 1762. William Buchanan's will - Planter. To wife, Rebecka; to son, James; to daughters, Merian, Ruth, Rebeckah, Hannah. Executors, son, James and Andrew Hays. Teste: Alex. Miller, James McCampbell, Jno. McCoskey. Proved, 18th August, 1762, by McCampbell and McCoskey. James Buchanan refuses to execute. Andrew Hays qualifies, with Nathaniel Evans, John Hunter.
- Page 286.--7th January, 1763. Alexander Miller and Hannah to Alexander Telford, £120, 248 acres, part of 92,100, and conveyed by Borden to Miller; corner tract surveyed for James McDowell. Teste: James McCampbell. David McCoskry. Delivered: James McCampbell, November, 1773.
- Page 266.--22d June, 1763. William Buchanan's appraisement (by Jas. McCampbell, Isaac and Jacob Anderson) approved and recorded--One mill, £28; sundry books; Robt. Allison's bond; judgment vs. Wm. Burk and Richd. Burtain.
- Page 354.--14th August A. D., 1770. John Stephenson's estate, appraised by Thomas Wilson, John McClung, James McCampbell, James Buchanan--William Chambers' account, insolvent; John Michel Siver's bond, not all solvent; Eracker Smith, James Doearn.
- Page 446.--9th August, 1771. Estimate of funeral and other charges due Wm. Berry and Alex. Walker, executors from the estate of John Berry, by James Walker, James McCamphell, Alex. Walker, Andrew Hays
- Page 253.--14th November, 1771. James Wardlaw and Martha to James Logan. Samuel Buchanan, Alexander Walker, Sr., Andrew Hays, James Henry, James McCampbell, Thomas Hill, John Huston, Alexander Walker, Jr., elders of the Congregation of Presbyterian Dissenters of New Providence, £50, 81-1/2 acres whereon New Providence Meeting House now stands; Andrew Duncan's line; trust for purpose of a meeting house for public worship, and a grave yard. Teste: Alexander Sinclair, Samuel Bell, George Weir. Delivered: Joseph Moore, 1st April, 1796.
- Page 390.--10th September, 1773. Charles Hays and Margaret to William Tedford. Teste: John and Charles Hays, James McCampbell, John Tedford.
- Page 97.--13th February, 1792. Alexander Stuart, of Rockbridge, to Robert Stuart; Alexander Tedford's line; corner James McCampbell.
- Vol. 2 - James McCampbell of Wythe vs. Evans--O. S. 41; N. S. 14--James was of Wythe 1800-1805.
- Vol. 2 - James McCampbell vs. Keys & Moore--O. S. 59; N. S. 20--James purchased land on French Broad about 1788 in Knox Co.