- H. James D Long1846 -
- W. Hannah Herron (add)
m. 3 Mar 1873
Facts and Events
||James D Long
||25 Jul 1846
||Indiana2 1/2 miles north of Lexington
||3 Mar 1873
||to Hannah Herron (add)
JAMES D. LONG.
James D. Long, a prosperous farmer of Democrat township, Carroll county, Indiana, who owns two hundred acres of land one and three-quarters mile east of Cutler, on the Burlington and Cutler pike, has served two terms as trustee of his home township, and is therefore well known, not only to the people of Democrat township, but to the people of Carroll county as well.
Mr. Long was born two and one-half miles north of Lexington, Indiana, on the Clinton and Carroll county line, July 25, 1846, and is a son of David and Hannah (Harkrader) Long, natives of Warren and Butler counties, Ohio, respectively. David Long’s father emigrated from Scotland in an early day and settled in Warren county, Ohio, and was there married, and lived in the Buckeye state the remainder of his life. He owned two hundred and twenty acres of land altogether in Warren county, Ohio. Anna Harkrader, the wife of David Long, was of German descent, her parents having come from the Fatherland in an early day.
David Long and his wife lived in Ohio for three years after their marriage, one child having been born to them before leaving Ohio in 1837. In the latter year they emigrated to Indiana, being among the first settlers in Owen township, Clinton county. There David Long entered one hundred and sixty acres of land. He later purchased eighty acres, and at the time of his death was the owner of two hundred and forty acres of fine land. He was a prominent citizen in the pioneer life of Clinton county, and took an especially prominent part in the early politics of the county.
Thirteen children were born to David and Anna (Harkrader) Long, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood: Washington. deceased; Catherine, the widow of W. L. Mabbitt; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of Warren Adams; Martha. the widow of William Weaver; Margaret, the wife of John Lennon, of Iowa; Eliza, the wife of William McClune, also a resident of Iowa; Matilda, who was the wife of James Fennell, of Frank
fort, and both are now deceased; Anna was the wife of Robert Young, of Warren township, Clinton county, both now deceased; Mary, deceased, was the wife of Frank McCrary, of North Carolina; Benjamin died at Chattanooga while in the service of the Union army during the Civil War; Samuel, living one mile east of Sedalia, Clinton county, Indiana; James D., the immediate subject of this review; and Amanda, who died at the age of fourteen years.
James D. Long lived at home with his parents until he was twenty-six years old, assisting with the work on the home farm. On March 3, 1873, Mr. Long was married to Hannah L. Herron, the daughter of Doctor Herron, who lived near Lexington, in Democrat township, this county. After his marriage Mr. Long purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land from his father-in-law, where he lived until his removal to the farm known as the old Buren \V.vatt farm of one hundred and eighty acres, where he is now living. A little later Mr. Long added twenty acres more to this farm, and is now the owner of two hundred acres of fine farming land.
Mr. and Mrs. Long are the parents of four children, three of whom are living: Edwin, who died in infancy; Estella, the wife of Manford Smith, lives on the farm adjoining her father; Carlos D., living on the home place; and Grover. living at Delphi, this county, is a graduate of Purdue University.
Fraternally, Mr. Long is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge No. 3, at Cutler, Indiana. Politically, he is a Democrat. He has served two terms as trustee of Democrat township.