Facts and Events
James Kenney was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of James Kenney in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 213.--22d May, 1781. John Archer's estate appraised by Jas. Trimble, William Young, Jno. Gardner, James Kenny. (Note: this record may refer to James Kenney's father James).
- Page 268.--3d March, 1783. Inquisition at same place before John McCreerey, Coroner, on view of body of John Mitchell--Witnesses Leonard Bell, Van Swearingen et als., believed to have died a natural death at Frame's Still House on 2d March. Leonard Bell, Van Sweoringen, Joseph Mays, Geo. Francisco, John McRoberts, Wm. Young, James Kenny, Robt. McCreery, Jno. Montgomery, Geo. Benston, Jas. Montgomery, Jeremiah Frame.
- Vol. 1 - (78) James Kenny, oldest brother of Joseph Kenny, who died in Continental Service, has it certified in order to obtain land. (79) Admn. of estate of Joseph Kenny granted heir-at-law, James Kenny.
- Vol. 2 - 15th July, 1783--James Kenney, administrator of Joseph Kenney.
- Kenney Sr., James, of Bourbon County. - Will written March 12, 1814.
- Names wife, Peggy, sons John, Victor, Joseph, Moses, Napoleon, Daughters, Maria, Abbe, Helena, Cordee and Peggy. Daughters Sally Barnett, Elisabeth Trotter, Nancy Rhodes, and Polly Hildreth.
- Exec's Wife Peggy Kenney, James Hughes and John Barnett.
- Witnesses, Thomas Rogers, Josiah McDowell and Alexander Barnett:
- Will of James Kenney, deceased proved June Court , 1814.
- [Source: Abstracts for Bourbon County, Kentucky, Master Commissioner's Deed Book "A", page 70].
- James Kenney's (Sr.) heirs, John Kenney, Moses Kenney, Victor Kenney, Joseph Kenney, Napoleon Kenney, John Barnette and Sally Barnett, James Trotter and Elizabeth Trotter, late Elizabeth Kenney, William Hildreth and Polly Hildreth, late Polly Kenney, Nancy Rhodes, late Nancy Kenney, Maria Kenney, Helena Kenney, Abigail Kenney. Cordelia Kenney; and children of James Kenney, dec'd who was the son of James Kenney, via Dosia Kenney, Nathan Kenney, Eli Kenney, Polly Kenney, Archibald Kenney, Eda Kenney, James Kenney, Madison Kenney, Amanda Kenney; and David Kenney's children Polly, Elizabeth, John, Sally, Moses Jr. and Elam, Peggy Kenney, Maria Kenney, Helena Kenney, Abigail Kenney.
Information on James Kenney
(Capt.) James Kenney (1752-1814), of Stonerside Farm, North Middletown, Kentucky; married (1) Mary “Polly” Frame (1742-1796). He served as a Private in the American Revolution, and was taken prisoner at the Battle of Germantown in 1778. After the war, he obtained a land grant in Kentucky, and was one of the early settlers at Boonesborough. He was a Captain in the local militia. [Source: http://www.swanstrom.org/kenney.html]
James Kinney (1752-1814) enlisted in Virginia in Capt. Joseph Crockett's Company, 7th Virginia regiment, commanded by Lieut. Col. Holt Richeson, Also No. 110361. And also, "Captain James C. Kenney served in the Revolutionary war in Captain Joseph Crockett's Company, 7th Virginia commanded by Lt Col Holt Richeson, as a mere boy. Reinlisted in 1778, taken prisoner Oct 4, 1778 at Germantown." from DAR membership application dated 6/15/1914.