Facts and Events
James Hooke was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 767.--18th March, 1768. Robert Hook to James Hook, £6, 200 acres on south side the land said Hook now lives on, patented, 1st October, 1747. Teste: Wm. Hook, Mathew McDowel, Samuel Scott. Delivered to James Scot, August Court, 1773.
- Page 305.--21st March, 1768. James Anderson to John and James Hookes, £40, 300 acres patented to Robert McMahon, 12th May, 1759, on a branch of North River of Shanandore, Alexander Walker's corner. Delivered: James Hook, 21st March, 1775.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 500.--22d August, 1770. John and James Hooks to John McMahon, £16, 100 acres on a draft of North River of Shanando patented to said Robert McMahon, 12th May, 1759. Teste: Robert Hook, John Gabriel Jones. Delivered: John McMahon, January, 1773.
1815 - Will Probated - Rockingham Co., VA Minute Book 8 P081
1815 - Property Appraisal - Rockingham Co., VA Minute Book 8 P094
- Page 397.--22d October, 1783. William Hook relinquishes to George Hook his right to administer on estate of James Hook. Teste: George Fraizer, Samuel Hill. (Note: a different James Hook?)
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1784. - (173) Admn. of estate of James Hook, deceased, granted George Hook, William Hook, the eldest brother having relinquished his right.
- Vol. 2 - 16th March, 1784--George Hooke, administrator of James Hooke; Margt. Greenwood, administrator of Josiah Greenwood.
Records in Augusta County, VA
1775 - Listed in Augusta County Virginia Tithables with 1.
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1762. - (361) James McGill, qualified Lieutenant of Militia. James Hook, qualified Ensign of Militia.
- Page 138.--1st July, 1773. John Brett's will--Executor, David Laird; debts to be paid and remainder to go to his family. Teste: James Hooke, Hannah Harndon. Proved, 18th August, 1773, by the witnesses. David Laird qualifies with John Blair, James Hooke.
- Page 318.--6th June, 1781. John Frazer's will, of Rockingham County To wife, Jennet, all estate whatsoever; to James Walker; to Mary Aderson; to brother, Joseph Fraizer; to brother, George Fraizer; to sister, Molly Galloway; to brother, William; to Andrew Shanklin, son of testator's sister, Molly. Executors, wife Jennett and her brother, James Hooke. Teste: Geo. Huston, Robt. Hook, Wm. Hooke, Isabella Campbell, Elenor Campbell. Proved, 15th February, 1791, by Huston, Robert and Wm. Hooke. Jennett qualifies.
- 1768 - James Hook reaches twenty one years of age and his father Robert Hook conveys to him 200 acres.
- 1789 - Land Owner - Rockingham Co., VA Militia District 4 200 Acres
- 1807 - Rockingham Co., VA - Marriage of daughter Ann Hook to Isaac Thompson; Bondsman Robert Hook, brother States father was James Hook and he was not able to ride to Court House. Witness - Ann Davison, Robert Hook.
- 1810 - New Haven, Rockingham County, VA census pg. 134
- 1815 - Land Owner - Rockingham County, VA, Branch of Mill Creek Section 9 South East
- U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900. (Yates Publishing).
U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Name: James Hooke
Birth Year: 1747
Spouse Name: Mary
Number Pages: 1