Facts and Events
Capt. James Hollis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- James Hollis received a patent of 395 acres "by patent, 7th August, 1761, on waters of Catawba; corner Burden's land, Thomas Ramsey's line", (per the disposition below):.
- Page 88.--29th October, 1767. John McFarland and Mary, of Bedford County, to James Holles, £40, 98 acres on a branch of Reed Creek, a branch of New River, betwixt the land of the said John and the Cove, patented to John 20th June, 1753. Teste: Israel and William Christian, Daniel McNeill, Robert Brsckenridge, Samuel Black, William Wright, William Bates, George Dair.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 225.--7th March, 1765. James Hollis and Anne to George Patterson, £70, 395 acres by patent, 7th August, 1761, on waters of Catawba; corner Burden's land, Thomas Ramsey's line. Teste: Wm. Davis.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: James Hollis, 4th April, 1753.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1761. - (118) James Holles, juryman. George Woolridge, juryman. Lazarus Inmace, juryman.
- Page 205.--17th May, 1702. George Stevenson, of Louisa, and Rebecca ( ) to Samuel Henderson, of Albemarle, £4, 200 acres in Borden's tract, Greenlee's line; cor. McMurray. John Stevenson's line; cor. Thos. Paxton; cor. James Greenlee. Teste: Wm. Graham, James Hollis, Marget ( ) Luney.
- Page 484.--40th November, 1766. George Robinson's appraisement, recorded (by Jas. and Saml. Robinson, and Martha McCormick, late Robinson, executors)--Paid Francis Livers, Francis Delaney, Robt. McGitre, James Hollis. Credit by Danl. McCormick, Adam Beard, Robert Galloway.
- Page 80.--16th March, 1768. Estate of Peter Looney, Dr., in account with James McCain and Margaret, his wife--Cash paid David Smith; cash paid Robert, Abraham and David Looney; cash received from James Holles; cash received from Benj. Estill for Abraham Haines.
- Page 235.--17th August, 1769. The estate of Col. James Patton, Dr.-- To William Thompson, an executor, 1757, cash paid Col. Wm. Walker, cash paid Col. Green, cash paid Richard Vernon, James Coyle. 1762, February 10th, by to Banyans appraised. Cash of Doctor Walker on account of Jacob Harmon in full of the Horseshoe bottom. Cash of John Roerty, Andrew Haislip, Jacob Larton, Jacob Shull, James Hollis, Daniel Brown. By cash of Thos. Henry, rent of land in Louisa; Jno. Sprout, John and Christian Bigaman, Wm. Ledford, Jno. Ledford, Michl. Dougherday, Hugh Mares, Wm. Lepperd and Jacob Dye. James Hutton, Jno. Wiley for Jno. Ruckman, John Douglas for a tract of land in Louisa since Col. Patton's death.
- Page 237.-(17th August, 1769) - By cash from, viz (apparently in payment of piece of land belonging to Col. Patton's estate): Robt. Armstrong, Wm. Foster. Michl. Dougherty, Danl. Droudy, James Wiley (by James Davies), James Campbell. Wm. Preston (in part for Dayley's and Wat. Welshe's bond whose lands he purchased), David Robinson (part of William and James Gorrel's debt), Wm. Ingles (on Jno. Medley's bond), Alex. Dall, John Thompson, John Robinson, Hugh Mills, John Stephenson, Wm. Patterson, Wm. Buchanan, Augustine Price, Jacob Shull, Philip Harless, Michl. Price, James Kerr, Jno. Craig, Edd. Hall, James Coyle, Wm. Sawyers, James Davies (on Wm. Hall's bond), Pat. Sharkey, James Moore, James Armstrong, James Neeley (on Moore's bond), James Hollis, Danl. Brown, Adam Wall, Wm. Sawyers (account of Saml. Crockett's heirs), Thos. Henry (rent of land in Louisa), Pat McCollom, Casper Barrier, Henry Brown, John Sprout, Michl. Finney. Wm. Ingles, Robt. Galloway, Isaac Taylor, Neil McNeil, Wm. Carven, Wm. Ralston, Dr. Walker (for Tobias Bright), Jno. Collier, Jno. Smiley, Jno. McClure, Wm. Fleming, David Kinkead, Wm. Graham, James Scraggs, Jno. Armstrong (for Geo. Reed's bond), Jacob Brown, John Draper (for land sold since death of Col. Patton). Robert Armstrong for a tract called McCord Mill sold since Col. Patton's death.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
Help fund new features!