Facts and Events
James Gregory was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 380.--17th May, 1768. John ( ) Davis and Judith ( ) to James Gregory, £75, 280 acres on West Fork of James River called Back Creek conveyed by John Young to said John Davis, 15th May, 1766. Delivered: Arther Hickens (Kichens), May, 1773.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 273.--18th May, 1773. Joseph Gregory, heir-at-law of James Gregory, deceased, to Arthur Hickman, on West Fork of James River, called Back Creek. Delivered: Robert Clark, June, 1783.
Will of James Gregory
- Page 208.--2d July, 1771. James (his mark) Gregory's will--To mother, executrix; to brother, William. Teste: Saml. Vance, William Fulton (Fullen?). N. B.--My brother Naphtaly is to have £5 and Samuel and John £10 each. Proved, 15th March, 1774, by William Fuller and recorded (formerly proved by Vance).
- Page 414.--20th August, 1771. Mary M. Gregory's bond (with John McClenachan, Saml. Vance, Henry Gay) as administratrix of James Gregory.
- Page 44.--21st November, 1772. Recorded. James Gregory's appraisement by William Hutcheson, Archibald Smithers, John Vance.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER 23, 1763. - (249) James Gregory, orphan, aged 16, to be bound out to Saml. Varner.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1768. - (503) Following orphans of Charles Whitman to be bound: Hurson Mathias Whitman, to James Gregory, to learn trade of a weaver. Catherine Whitman to Andrew Sitlington. Jacob Whitman, to John Warwick, to learn trade of shoemaker.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 29, 1771. - (273) James Gregory vs. James Cochrane.--Abates by plaintiff's death.
- Page 126.--4th July, 1785. William Hickman, son and heir of Arthur Hickman, of Montgomery County, Maryland, to Charles Hamilton, on West Fork of James River called Back Creek, tract conveyed by Davis to James Gregory, deceased, by whose death it became vested in Joseph Gregory as his heir. Teste: Roger Hickman, John ( ) Tousand, James Ellis.
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).
Help fund new features!