Facts and Events
James Gorrell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 70.--21st March, 1753. James Patton to William and James Gorrel, 620 acres part of patent as above (part of large tract patented 10th April, 1751. North Fork of Goose Creek); North Fork of Goose Creek; corner John Robinson; corner Tobias (Bright).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 550.--30th October, 1763. James Gorrell, of Baltimore County, Maryland, to William Robinson, of Augusta, power of attorney to convey to David Robinson, quantity as may be laid off by William and David, part of 620 acres on North Branch Roanoke, joining lands of Jno. Robinson and Tobias Bright, £79.10. Teste: Wm. Davis, Edward Thorp.
- Page 189.--2d February, 1765. James Gorrell by William Robinson, to David Robinson. James Gorrell, of Baltimore County, Maryland, consitituted William his attorney on 30th October, 1763. £79.10, 215 acres on North Branch Roanoke, part of 620 acres conveyed by Patton to William and James Gorrell, Tobias Bright's line, now in possession of Dr. Thomas Walker, John Robinson's land. Teste. Thomas Bames.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 67.-(21st March, 1753.) - Ditto. Same to John Robinson, Jr., 872 acres patent, as above (North Fork of Goose Creek); corner John Robinson. Sr.; corner James Gorrel.
- Page 73.-(21st March, 1753.) - Ditto. Same to Tobias Bright, 590 acres part of patent above; Goose Creek; corner James Gorrell; corner George Paris.
- Page 432.--7th August, 1753. John Robinson and Mary to James Robinson, son and heir of James Robinson, deceased, 150 acres same as above Teste: James Gorrell, Wm. McCrab, Jacob Brown, Elizabeth Robinson.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: James and William Gorrell, 18th February, 1753.
- Page 237.-(17th August, 1769) -By cash from, viz (apparently in payment of piece of land belonging to Col. Patton's estate): Robt. Armstrong, Wm. Foster. Michl. Dougherty, Danl. Droudy, James Wiley (by James Davies), James Campbell. Wm. Preston (in part for Dayley's and Wat. Welshe's bond whose lands he purchased), David Robinson (part of William and James Gorrel's debt).