- H. James FrazierAbt 1741 - BEF 1814
- W. Ann GayABT 1745 - AFT 1788
m. BEF 1766
Facts and Events
James Frazier was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 68.--17th October, 1769. Henry Gay and Martha ( ) to James Frazier, £10, 100 acres on Great River of Calfpasture, joining Francis Donaley's land. Teste: Samuel Blackwood, Andrew Steel. (Note: James Frazier married Henry Gay's daughter Ann Gay).
- Page 298.--18th May, 1762. Samuel Fraizer to James Fraizer, his brother, £5, 234 acres, part of 472 on Long Meadow of Middle River of Shannandoe in Beverley Manor between said Fraizer and Robert Moody. (Note: this Chalkley's record proves Samuel and James as sons of John Frazier, who had acquired 472 acres in Beverley Manor. Samuel appears to have been the eldest son of John and acquired the land through his father's estate, as listed in the disposition below).
- Page 140.--15th April, 1788. Samuel Frazer and Isabella Helena ( ) to James Frazer, tract on Long Meadow conveyed 22d February, 1749, by Beverley to John Frazer, deceased intestate, and Samuel is eldest son and heir-at-law.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 295.--17th May, 1776. James Frazier and Ann, John Gillespy and Martha to Henry Gay. Teste: A. Thompson, Robert Thompson, James Trimble. (Note: this appears to be a land transfer from Ann and Martha Gay (Ann married James Frazier, Martha married John Gilespie) to their father Henry Gay, which seems to be related to the disposition below.
- Page 434.--30 May, 1788. John Gillespie and Martha, James Frazer and Ann, John Frazer, Jean Frazer, Robert Gay, executors of Henry Gay, deceased, to John McRoberts. (Note: this land was owned by Henry Gay, James Frazier's father-in-law. As one of the executors of Henry's estate, he helped execute this sale of his land).
Will of James Frazier
- Page 368.--19th June, 1810. James Frazer's will--To wife, Ann; to Archibald Guy (s/b Gay) and wife, Rebecca, and their son, James F. Guy, infant. Nathan Pugh is to be supported as long as he lives; to Archibald and Rebecca's son, John Guy (land in possession of Ezekiel Cooper); said James F. Guy's brother, Thomas Guy; said John Guy's brother, Robert Guy; to brother, Samuel Frazer's children, viz: John W., James, Samuel C., Bella Frazer. Executor, Ezekiel Cooper. Teste: Richard Holt, Ezekiel Cooper, Andrew Russell. Proved, 23d May, 1814. Executor refuses.
Note: Re: Nathan Pugh: Thomas Pugh was apparently wounded by Indians at Defeated Creek in 1786 while on a surveying trip with John Frazier, James Frazier's brother.
Records of James Frazier in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 434.--30 May, 1788. John Gillespie and Martha, James Frazer and Ann, John Frazer, Jean Frazer, Robert Gay, executors of Henry Gay, deceased, to John McRoberts.
- Page 142.--22d November, 1805. Ann McCune's will--To sister Elizabeth's son, Alex. McCune Henry, horse left to Ann in her father's will; to Rebecca Gay; to James Frazer and his wife Ann; to brother, Samuel McCune; to brother, John McCune; brother, Archibald; to heirs of brother William; to sister Mary Lessley's heirs. Teste: James Paul, John W. Frazer, Archibald Gay (Gray?). Proved, 28th September, 1807.