Facts and Events
James Dever was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- James Dever received a patent for 400 acres (location not listed) on 20 May 1763, as listed in the dispositions below:
- Page 449.--Patent to James Dever, 23d May, 1773. Teste: John Davies, John Devir, Hugh Devir.
- Page 196 - James Diver, 126 acres, Bever Creek. Adjoining Daniel Henderson. March 25, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 71]. (Note: Bever (Beaver) Creek is a tributary of the Potomac River).
- Page 9 - James Diver, 585 acres, Briery Branch. Adjoining Henry Miller formerly Henderson's, Isiah Shipman, John Smith. May 5, 1780. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 99].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 262.--22d March. 1770. James Divier (Dever) and Betty to Reuben Daniel, £50, 400 acres patented to James Dever, 20th May, 1763. Delivered: William Walker, 4th April, 1771.
Records of James Dever in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - JUNE, 1769 (E). James Dever and Elizabeth, his wife, vs. Daniel Henderson and Elizabeth, his wife.--Hugh Dever. brother of James.
Records of James Dever in Orange County, VA
From Orange County, Virginia Records:
- OB17-303 Bond, James Divers of Rockingham Co VA obliged to pay to Elizabeth Daniel, John Conner, Nancy Daniel, Frankey Daniel, William Merry Daniel, £100,000...9 Feb 1780. wit James Coleman, Edmund Dear. Condition: whereas James Divers claims a part of the negroes belonging to Reuben Daniel decd by marrying his dau, Negroes Reuben recovered by law came by his wife, Penny, and Mother to Robert Daniel, Molly Seager and Betty Diver, now wf to above Diver. Above Conner and Daniel [sic singular] have agreed to give Diver negro boy named Major, discharge Conner and Daniel fr all claims relating to sd Negroes. wit Edmund Dear, James Coleman. recd 23 Mar 1780
- OB17-334 Bond, James Divers of Rockingham Co bond to Robert Daniel of Orange, £100,000, 8 Feb 1780. condition: article of agreement 30 Jun 1773, Robert Daniel to deliver up to James Divers half of all Negroes before suit in chancery was determined, brought by James Divers v. Reuben Daniel in Orange now decd and others. James Divers agrees he will not claim any slvs given up by will or received by Robert Daniel in sd suits mentioned, of that line of negroes received of Mary Sea or William Breadlove by Reuben Daniel and Robert Daniel. wit John Conner, William Daniel. recd 25 May 1780
- OB17-335 [next] bond James Divers to Robert Daniel, £50,000, 8 Feb 1780. condition: shall dismiss all suits in law v. Robert Daniel or raise any controversies over negro Cate and her incr that Reuben Daniel recoverd of Mary Sea and William Breedlove in General Court at Williamsburg 1753 or 4 Reuben Daniel Administrator and next friend of Robert Daniel...being heir at law to sd Negroes...Robert Daniel giving up to James Divers one negro boy George about 12 yrs old and £400...sd Robert oblige myself never lay any claim agt George if Divers complies with intent above written. wit John Conner, William Daniel. recd 25 May 1780
Help fund new features!